No Offer but with Reference? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No Offer but with Reference?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:33 pm

I got no offered at a big market V100 firm ostensibly because there weren't enough spots for all of the summers, but the hiring partner offered to be a reference to explain the no offer as I go forward with my job hunt. Can I take him up on it when having to answer recruiters' questions about getting an offer or is it just what one has to say when no offering someone? Would it even help to direct recruiters to him with these sorts of questions?

Anonymous User

Re: No Offer but with Reference?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:44 pm

How much do you trust him?

After my no offer I had a hiring partner offer to give me a good reference and a firm I interviewed with called me, said that I was their second choice, and said that that guy had given me a bad reference

I still hate that fucking cocksucker

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much do you trust him?

After my no offer I had a hiring partner offer to give me a good reference and a firm I interviewed with called me, said that I was their second choice, and said that that guy had given me a bad reference

I still hate that fucking cocksucker
I think I have heard of this happening before but seriously how much of an asshole does someone have to be to say they will give a good reference and then not. At that point you are basically going out of your way to try and fuck someone over.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:06 pm

Don't know the guy well enough to know whether to trust him. He said that it would be a "it's not you, it's me" type of reference. At least the new firm's recruiter told you the guy gave you a bad reference so you'd know in the future. So is it more one of those "I'm going to say this, but don't take me up on it" type of deals?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got no offered at a big market V100 firm ostensibly because there weren't enough spots for all of the summers, but the hiring partner offered to be a reference to explain the no offer as I go forward with my job hunt. Can I take him up on it when having to answer recruiters' questions about getting an offer or is it just what one has to say when no offering someone?
I'm not sure that the hiring partner's explanation--"because there weren't enough spots for all of the summers"--really helps you all that much. It just drives home the point that there were a bunch of other summers that your firm liked more than you. To be honest, it's probably a net negative for you.

In my opinion, the only post-no-offer recommendations that help are those that come from a lawyer who disagrees with the firm's decision. Once in awhile, you'll get a partner who is wiling to say something like: "The summer associate had excellent work product, and I strongly disagreed with my firm's decision not to extend an offer." But for obvious reasons, the hiring partner can't say something like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:49 am

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got no offered at a big market V100 firm ostensibly because there weren't enough spots for all of the summers, but the hiring partner offered to be a reference to explain the no offer as I go forward with my job hunt. Can I take him up on it when having to answer recruiters' questions about getting an offer or is it just what one has to say when no offering someone?
I'm not sure that the hiring partner's explanation--"because there weren't enough spots for all of the summers"--really helps you all that much. It just drives home the point that there were a bunch of other summers that your firm liked more than you. To be honest, it's probably a net negative for you.

In my opinion, the only post-no-offer recommendations that help are those that come from a lawyer who disagrees with the firm's decision. Once in awhile, you'll get a partner who is wiling to say something like: "The summer associate had excellent work product, and I strongly disagreed with my firm's decision not to extend an offer." But for obvious reasons, the hiring partner can't say something like that.
Agree w this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:10 am

OP: Is it any better if he says it was due to the group I wanted not taking anyone?

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP: Is it any better if he says it was due to the group I wanted not taking anyone?
If all he's going to say about you is this information, And he can't contribute any word about how good your work product is or how valuable you are as a team member, then no, I would not use him

You can just tell them that the group you were in wasn't taking anyone

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”