Exit Opportunities from JAG? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BrooklynLaw16

Bronze

Exit Opportunities from JAG?

Post by BrooklynLaw16 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Does JAG provide solid exit options? Is it likely to lateral from JAG to mid-law or biglaw?

Anonymous User

Re: Exit Opportunities from JAG?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:15 pm

I know of a JAG officer that lateraled as a 6th? year after 8 years in JAG to my biglaw firm in DC. So it's not unheard of, but I don't know how common it is beyond that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:18 pm

I know a lot of former JAGs who are AUSAs now.

so ambivalent

New

Post by so ambivalent » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:11 pm

I've been thinking alot about this myself because I am working at a firm right now but have a JAG offer. I've spoken with former JAGs who now work in private practice, with govt and in-house. The general consensus is that JAG is immensely helpful for federal govt employment (like AUSA or agency work) because of the veteran's preference. It may or may not be helpful for state or local gov't. It is not any particular boost over private/other practice unless you the private practice you want to do after you exit is the type where JAG might be applicable (think military procurement in a market like DC or San Diego, where there is a big military presence and some firms have practice groups devoted to things like govt contracting or contractors need people in-house). If your end game is to practice in a particular geographic location , you'll probably be better served working and networking in that market rather than doing JAG and trying to come back to the market after 4+ years.
Botton line: if you wanna do fed in DC or don't care where: JAG is the best option. If you wanna stay in a particular market/wanna do in-house or pirvate practice, start doing private practice or working in that market.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:22 pm

so ambivalent wrote:I've been thinking alot about this myself because I am working at a firm right now but have a JAG offer. I've spoken with former JAGs who now work in private practice, with govt and in-house. The general consensus is that JAG is immensely helpful for federal govt employment (like AUSA or agency work) because of the veteran's preference. It may or may not be helpful for state or local gov't. It is not any particular boost over private/other practice unless you the private practice you want to do after you exit is the type where JAG might be applicable (think military procurement in a market like DC or San Diego, where there is a big military presence and some firms have practice groups devoted to things like govt contracting or contractors need people in-house). If your end game is to practice in a particular geographic location , you'll probably be better served working and networking in that market rather than doing JAG and trying to come back to the market after 4+ years.
Botton line: if you wanna do fed in DC or don't care where: JAG is the best option. If you wanna stay in a particular market/wanna do in-house or pirvate practice, start doing private practice or working in that market.
Do AUSAs get veteran's preference? My understanding was that most attorney positions don't use a strict version of it. Might be wrong though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:30 pm

so ambivalent wrote:I've been thinking alot about this myself because I am working at a firm right now but have a JAG offer. I've spoken with former JAGs who now work in private practice, with govt and in-house. The general consensus is that JAG is immensely helpful for federal govt employment (like AUSA or agency work) because of the veteran's preference. It may or may not be helpful for state or local gov't. It is not any particular boost over private/other practice unless you the private practice you want to do after you exit is the type where JAG might be applicable (think military procurement in a market like DC or San Diego, where there is a big military presence and some firms have practice groups devoted to things like govt contracting or contractors need people in-house). If your end game is to practice in a particular geographic location , you'll probably be better served working and networking in that market rather than doing JAG and trying to come back to the market after 4+ years.
It depends on what you end up doing at JAG. For example, some AF end up doing contracting work. This would help you get into private practice quickly. Some Navy or Coast Guard do environmental work. But some others might just end up doing nothing legal-related (I have a friend who's been doing recruitment work for a while). So really it depends on the branch and the work you do for it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:39 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
Do AUSAs get veteran's preference? My understanding was that most attorney positions don't use a strict version of it. Might be wrong though.
No, this is correct. I don't know if other agencies use it for lawyers, but DOJ doesn't, officially. That said, I think it can still be a boost.

so ambivalent

New

Post by so ambivalent » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:46 am

It depends on what you end up doing at JAG. For example, some AF end up doing contracting work. This would help you get into private practice quickly. Some Navy or Coast Guard do environmental work. But some others might just end up doing nothing legal-related (I have a friend who's been doing recruitment work for a while). So really it depends on the branch and the work you do for it.
Exactly, but what the military makes you do while you're a JAG is a crapshoot so there's no guanratee you will be in a practice area that correlates well for exit options.
No, this is correct. I don't know if other agencies use it for lawyers, but DOJ doesn't, officially. That said, I think it can still be a boost.
I stand corrected. No Vet preference for GS-11 and above (basically the lowest level attorney job is GS-11, requiring one or fewer years of experience) and vet preference is based on whether you actually deployed (which most JAGs won't).
So the exit options are pretty unclear. I mean it's great to exit from a competitive program but in speaking with former JAGS (and people who work with them) I have doubts about whether JAG is actually viewed as competitive for legit private sector jobs. Not many JAGs are from high-ranking law schools or have the sort of credentials that good firms want for a lateral or even a first year (law review, great undergrad education, actual private sector work experience, business development skills). A great JAG is not necessarily a great lawyer outside the context of the military.

The_MJ

New

Post by The_MJ » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:51 pm

I've known or heard of quite a few JAGs who later lateraled to a biglaw firm, such as QE, Covington, Boies, Arent Fox, etc. Just get solid litigation experience (first or second chair as either a prosecutor or defense counsel), play up your witness interview skills (helpful when making the jump to depositions), and use your military network. Don't be afraid to google former folks and ask for help. Coming from a good law school of course helps, but isn't necessary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”