Cravath interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cravath interview

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:04 am

Any insight into how selective Cravath is in picking it's interviewees for screening interviews relative to the number given callbacks relative to the number given offers? It seems some very selective firms only screen a small number because they feel like if given an offer the applicant will accept, so they begin with screening a already very narrow pool. Any insight into this for Cravath or estimated ratios?

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Cravath interview

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:07 am

Are we talking about preselects or something? Because at my school, if you want an interview with Cravath, you simply bid on Cravath.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:11 am

Yeah at most major schools they do a shitload of screeners. And no, callback ratios seem to be fairly similar for a first wave (there isn't great data for this though).

Consider that lower ranked firms will choose people at the grade/rank level they can realistically get. Also, other firms will just go to second and third rounds of callbacks as they fail to get enough people from initial callbacks. That's why some callbacks come weeks after the screener.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:12 am

I'm top 10% and LR at a non-T14, T30 school where Cravath does OCI and I did not get a screener. K-JD, went to top undergrad and have a V50 1L SA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:21 am

OP
Thanks. I'm talking preselect via a bid. I assumed they interview quite a few given they take nearly 100 2L SAs, but I wasn't sure how many they interview at various schools, I.e., whether they screen 300 or 1000+ Total for those spots. I know someone T-14 top 5% LR who didn't get a screening interview so that made me think maybe they were more selective on the front end. Just curious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:55 am

How soon after the screening interview do you hear back about a callback with Cravath, if chosen for a callback?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:51 pm

If you're talking about interviewing at OCI, you'll typically get your CB call the evening of your interview or the next business day at the latest (this is true of most firms). Then you can schedule your callback for any number of days, but a large number of the interviews each year are conducted on Saturdays (like several other firms in New York). The callback interview can span up to seven or eight hours, and you'll probably speak with more partners than the traditional CB. The offer would come either at the end of your CB for a weekday or the following Monday or Tuesday for Saturday interviewers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:14 pm

I summered there last year. I don't recall there being more than one student from any non-t14 school (feel free to correct me, but if it's not accurate, it's close to accurate). A huge portion of the class was H and CCN (more than half, I think). A few kids from each of the rest of the t14, and then one offs from a ton of schools (up and down the food chain).

All of the non-t14 summers were very impressive, and if memory serves, most seemed to have work experience or grad degrees.

My guess is that they don't interview very many people from those schools in the first place. And yes, I think they probably have a higher yield than some other firms, so they probably give relatively few offers for each open spot. I'm sure this is true of most v10s.

They did a huge number of screeners at my t6, but I'm not sure they even filled up (or, at least, you could bid them super low).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:22 pm

I'm a non-t14 with a screening interview. I'm sure my advanced degree and work experience helped.

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:15 pm

Their CB rate at UChi is roughly the same as the other V10s, like ~30-40% or so but traditionally their CB --> Offer rate is one of the highest. I forget the number and I'm sure it changes from year to year, but it was like 75% CB-->Offer..

Return to “Legal Employment�