NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Who will join the CovingTTTon list next?

WilmerHale
14
6%
Arnold & Porter
22
9%
Hogan Lovells
12
5%
Akin Gump
7
3%
Jones Day
114
49%
Jenner & Block
8
3%
Paul Hastings
7
3%
WachTTTell
21
9%
Other
7
3%
No one! YAY!
22
9%
 
Total votes: 234

User avatar
UnicornHunter

Diamond
Posts: 13507
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby UnicornHunter » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I actually got an offer there and turned it down. Right now I'd be driving down I-94 with a beer in my hand and cheesecurds in my belly heading to my cabin for a weekend of fishing. lol at me


Dumb!

But yeah, I want this life. Even below market in Chicago would be 180 for cabin having purposes.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin

Gold
Posts: 2470
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:58 pm

bern victim wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I actually got an offer there and turned it down. Right now I'd be driving down I-94 with a beer in my hand and cheesecurds in my belly heading to my cabin for a weekend of fishing. lol at me

ur gonna regret this on ur deathbed

"i coulda been yosemite sam yemington"



UGHHHHHH FMA

im living a life of REGRET and REMORSE

i YEARN to be like YOSEMITE SAM YEMINGTON

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14837
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby TLSModBot » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:00 pm

DF what would your loan balance be though if you'd not come to DC

Not saying you made the right choice; you definitely didn't. But hey maybe you'll get back to zero net worth slightly sooner than you would have otherwise?

bern victim

Silver
Posts: 1270
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby bern victim » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:04 pm

deficits loans don't matter

User avatar
Desert Fox

Diamond
Posts: 18290
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:06 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:DF what would your loan balance be though if you'd not come to DC

Not saying you made the right choice; you definitely didn't. But hey maybe you'll get back to zero net worth slightly sooner than you would have otherwise?


im p depressed about loan balance. Even though I'm only like -20k net worth, I still got 173k left on dem loans. I wish you could cash ur 401k out of loans.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
Serett

Diamond
Posts: 16075
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby Serett » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:06 pm

Milwaukee to $160k!

bern victim

Silver
Posts: 1270
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby bern victim » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:DF what would your loan balance be though if you'd not come to DC

Not saying you made the right choice; you definitely didn't. But hey maybe you'll get back to zero net worth slightly sooner than you would have otherwise?


im p depressed about loan balance. Even though I'm only like -20k net worth, I still got 173k left on dem loans. I wish you could cash ur 401k out of loans.

just pretend you had a previous marriage and ur paying 10% of ur disposable income as alimony

Anonymous User
Posts: 342841
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:35 pm

Serett wrote:Milwaukee to $160k!


Detroit to 160. (Jones Day is already there tho, Gunderson in AA at 180 w/ 0 associates)

mvp99

Silver
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby mvp99 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:41 pm

so its been a couple weeks now.. NY to 200k?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
Big Shrimpin

Gold
Posts: 2470
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:09 pm

mvp99 wrote:so its been a couple weeks now.. NY to 200k?


die in a fire

barkschool

Silver
Posts: 1023
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 am

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby barkschool » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:35 pm

What do you think motivated firms that would have otherwise waited several months to move?

Was OCI/ recruiting season really such a huge motivator?

User avatar
Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver
Posts: 1450
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:54 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
mvp99 wrote:so its been a couple weeks now.. NY to 200k?


die in a fire


Outed as having belief in making partner.

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14837
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby TLSModBot » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:58 pm

barkschool wrote:What do you think motivated firms that would have otherwise waited several months to move?

Was OCI/ recruiting season really such a huge motivator?
I don't think OCI/recruiting season was the deciding factor.

I think firms have been talking internally about the inevitability of a market movement on associate salaries and many had prepared for this day (but weren't willing to be the first to jump). My guess is some planned and were ready to go to 170, 180, or even 190 depending on what the first mover did and their finances looked like at the time. Those who prepped for the 'worst case' of 190 or higher quickly went to 180 when Cravath did. Those who didn't plan for as high as 180 probably had to think about it - some jumped quickly and others took a week or two.

That's my (relatively unsupported, mostly conjectural) working theory - absent a Q&A session with a couple drunk V100 managing partners, I suspect we won't have clear answers any time soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
Big Shrimpin

Gold
Posts: 2470
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:42 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
mvp99 wrote:so its been a couple weeks now.. NY to 200k?


die in a fire


Outed as having belief in making partner.


to hell with all of you

im making my CASE for becoming a TINYPARTNER

kcdc1

Silver
Posts: 992
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby kcdc1 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:46 pm

I had no idea you were tiny. What is your favorite method for observing juniors in order to maintain their efficiency in your matters?

User avatar
Big Shrimpin

Gold
Posts: 2470
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:40 pm

kcdc1 wrote:I had no idea you were tiny. What is your favorite method for observing juniors in order to maintain their efficiency in your matters?


i stand on top of their monitors and bark orders when they stray off task

anonnymouse

Bronze
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby anonnymouse » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:39 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:I had no idea you were tiny. What is your favorite method for observing juniors in order to maintain their efficiency in your matters?


i stand on top of their monitors and bark orders when they stray off task


I could have sworn we jettisoned the tiny partner schtick back when the page count was in the teens and smaug kept Toby Flendersoning all over everyone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


User avatar
John_Luther1989

Bronze
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:10 am

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby John_Luther1989 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:50 am

http://www.wsj.com/articles/j-p-morgan- ... 1468323085

Uh oh! Bidding war for labor between BigLaw and the bulge bracket. NY TO $200K!

User avatar
UnicornHunter

Diamond
Posts: 13507
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:08 am

John_Luther1989 wrote:http://www.wsj.com/articles/j-p-morgan-to-raise-pay-for-lower-tier-employees-ceo-dimon-says-1468323085

Uh oh! Bidding war for labor between BigLaw and the bulge bracket. NY TO $200K!


this might mean raises for secretaries and paralegals and janitors, but I'm pretty sure people getting paid $12-16 an hour aren't going to be what pushes NY to 200.

Mr. Dimon said the bank will raise minimum pay for affected employees to between $12 to $16.50 an hour, the level of increase depending on geography and “market factors.’’ The bank’s minimum salary for U.S. employees is $10.15 an hour, he said.

Many of the affected employees serve as bank tellers and customer service representatives, Mr. Dimon said, explaining that the increase will help the bank attract and retain “talented people in a competitive environment’’ and is “the right thing to do.’’

User avatar
John_Luther1989

Bronze
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:10 am

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby John_Luther1989 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:21 pm

UnicornHunter wrote:
John_Luther1989 wrote:http://www.wsj.com/articles/j-p-morgan-to-raise-pay-for-lower-tier-employees-ceo-dimon-says-1468323085

Uh oh! Bidding war for labor between BigLaw and the bulge bracket. NY TO $200K!


this might mean raises for secretaries and paralegals and janitors, but I'm pretty sure people getting paid $12-16 an hour aren't going to be what pushes NY to 200.

Mr. Dimon said the bank will raise minimum pay for affected employees to between $12 to $16.50 an hour, the level of increase depending on geography and “market factors.’’ The bank’s minimum salary for U.S. employees is $10.15 an hour, he said.

Many of the affected employees serve as bank tellers and customer service representatives, Mr. Dimon said, explaining that the increase will help the bank attract and retain “talented people in a competitive environment’’ and is “the right thing to do.’’


Image

BD33

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:26 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby BD33 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:31 pm

mod edit: SPAM

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 342841
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:Per JD's website, non major market first-year salaries are as follows:

Cleveland/Columbus/Detroit/Miami/Minneapolis/Pittsburgh - 160

Atlanta - 180!!


I love how they didn't say shit to summers and we are finding out via their website.


Looks like summers didn't get the raise

User avatar
Actus Reus

Bronze
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby Actus Reus » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:Per JD's website, non major market first-year salaries are as follows:

Cleveland/Columbus/Detroit/Miami/Minneapolis/Pittsburgh - 160

Atlanta - 180!!


I love how they didn't say shit to summers and we are finding out via their website.


Looks like summers didn't get the raise


As it should be.

Anonymous User
Posts: 342841
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:08 am

payday bump

kcdc1

Silver
Posts: 992
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: NY GOES TO 180k! IT HAPPENED!!!! (CovingTTTon does a 180! Holder wept.)

Postby kcdc1 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:payday bump

Thread needs anecdotes about how it feels to gaze upon the direct deposit figure.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!




Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.