Mass mail or apply online Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass mail or apply online

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:57 pm

I've mass mailed multiple firms and have had each of them respond directing me to apply on their website. For the other firms I have been planning to mass mail their website advises law students to apply through their website/application service. Having read through 99% of the forum's on this website I understand the importance of mass mailing and how doing so can lead to interviews and call backs. However, I am wondering if I am wasting my time mass mailing just to receive the automated "apply here" response, or if it is still worth mass mailing then waiting for the response and applying online anyway. Any insight/advice? Background info if it matters, I am transferring to a T14 from a lower ranked school

Anonymous User

Re: Mass mail or apply online

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:18 pm

I don't think people literally mean use physical mail as opposed to online applications. I imagine online applications are strongly preferred by most large firms, since electronic materials are much easier to track and distribute. I can't imagine the recruiting people at my firm even bothering with hard copy applications since they'd have to make multiple copies, bring them to various attorneys on different floors, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think people literally mean use physical mail as opposed to online applications
I apologize for the confusion, by mass mail I meant I was emailing the recruiting contact with my cover letter in the body and attaching my transcript and resume. Did not mean that I was physically putting these materials in an envelope and mailing it to them via snail mail.

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't think people literally mean use physical mail as opposed to online applications
I apologize for the confusion, by mass mail I meant I was emailing the recruiting contact with my cover letter in the body and attaching my transcript and resume. Did not mean that I was physically putting these materials in an envelope and mailing it to them via snail mail.
1) I wouldn't mass mail to a recruiter. My water fall for MM: Partner from your undergrad; Partner who was on your legal journal; Partner from your law school who heads the practice group you are gunning for; Managing Partner

2) I would apply online and mass mail. Do both.

FWIW. I got my gig through the above method. I actually applied online (got rejected) then got an interview with the managing partner through my mass mail. Satellite office of V100.

PM if you have specific questions. Good luck.

hartfordhockaloogies

New

Post by hartfordhockaloogies » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Not sure if emailing random partners/associates that went to your alma is TCR.

I would email Managing partner and CC the recruiting staff or the MP's assistant.

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:38 pm

I would not advise emailing an associate either. Also, these are not random partners. They are partners who lead the group you want to join, manage the entire firm, or they are partners who have a similar background as you who may extend a helping hand by forwarding your email to the appropriate person or organizing an interview themselves.

The above worked for me in gaining a job through mass mail just like emailing recruiters worked for some people. There is no "TCR" when mass mailing. I always suggests mixing things up. It's a numbers and luck game.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”