Firm research sources

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ezjojo30

New

Firm research sources

Postby ezjojo30 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:03 pm

Ive been reading through a lot of threads and did a few searches but I haven't come up with anything concrete in terms of where to look. I am beginning my oci/massmail prep by researching firms. I am looking for some data (if it exists publically) on compensation (salary) of various firms not listed on chambers associates. Additionally, I am looking for any data related to gpa of SA classes or hiring trends. I know the latter is less likely to exists or even be useful across a broad range if it does, but I feel like there should be a compilation of firms compensation somewhere. I am speaking of course of firms not in NYC but in other major/secondary markets.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:06 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

ezjojo30

New

Re: Firm research sources

Postby ezjojo30 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:20 pm

I think this data would be useful personally when building my bid list for ocis. Id like to know that a regional midlaw firm pays 60k before I waste a bid on them. Id also like to know if a firm says top 10% if they've ever dipped below that in recent history. I do appreciate your elitist feedback though, however useless it is.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:23 pm

If they're regional firms and they're coming to your OCI they're presumably in your region, so wouldn't your CSO have this information?

papercut

Silver

Postby papercut » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:34 pm

ezjojo30 wrote: I do appreciate your elitist feedback though, however useless it is.

:lol: What was elitist about DF's response?

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:45 pm

fobstory.jpeg

ezjojo30

New

Postby ezjojo30 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:07 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If they're regional firms and they're coming to your OCI they're presumably in your region, so wouldn't your CSO have this information?

CSO's response was essentially we don't keep any statistics related to ocis.

First Offense

Platinum

Postby First Offense » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ezjojo30 wrote:I think this data would be useful personally when building my bid list for ocis. Id like to know that a regional midlaw firm pays 60k before I waste a bid on them. Id also like to know if a firm says top 10% if they've ever dipped below that in recent history. I do appreciate your elitist feedback though, however useless it is.

I don't want to work at no TTT firm than pays 60k YOU ELITIST!

V42 elitist.

First Offense

Platinum

Postby First Offense » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:08 pm

ezjojo30 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:If they're regional firms and they're coming to your OCI they're presumably in your region, so wouldn't your CSO have this information?

CSO's response was essentially we don't keep any statistics related to ocis.

Lol... Damn, shitty CSO.

ezjojo30

New

Postby ezjojo30 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Is there really no source that simply lists associate salaries? I would think it would be fairly public information given the competitive nature of the industry.

acijku2

New

Postby acijku2 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:13 pm

ezjojo30 wrote:Is there really no source that simply lists associate salaries? I would think it would be fairly public information given the competitive nature of the industry.

I think google.com is a good resource to use. If it's not there then I think you're SOL.

Serett

Diamond

Postby Serett » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:21 pm

ezjojo30 wrote:Is there really no source that simply lists associate salaries? I would think it would be fairly public information given the competitive nature of the industry.

NALP and Vault have most larger firms, but there are some well-paying firms not there, too. I don't know of a better resource.

Glasseyes

Silver

Postby Glasseyes » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:30 pm

I doubt you'll find any magical spreadsheet lurking around these parts, but if you google aggressively you'll probably find some (but definitely not all) of what you're after. Glassdoor is anecdotal and self-reported by all types of employees across various regions (with no way of guaranteeing a reported figure is the current figure), but sometimes you can find something that suggests a firm pays market (or more likely not, if you're struggling to find it.) Vault has a lot of them for sure, including some regionals. NALP definitely has plenty, and those should be accurate since firms self-report and have to do so yearly. Vault is sometimes out of date, so it's always worth cross-checking with NALP when available. Also look at specific firm's "careers" pages, or recruiting specific sites, which I know some firms now have. They may or may not include details, but some will have detailed breakdowns -- one local boutique does the whole 115k plus (supposedly large) quarterly bonuses and their site went to great pains to explain how it worked. Seek harder and ye might find, but no, there is no magical sheet with all of it aggregated for you. You have to build that yourself, then burn it so no one else can profit from your effort.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:38 pm

fobstory.jpeg

xael

Platinum

Postby xael » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
First Offense wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ezjojo30 wrote:I think this data would be useful personally when building my bid list for ocis. Id like to know that a regional midlaw firm pays 60k before I waste a bid on them. Id also like to know if a firm says top 10% if they've ever dipped below that in recent history. I do appreciate your elitist feedback though, however useless it is.

I don't want to work at no TTT firm than pays 60k YOU ELITIST!

V42 elitist.

I do ENJOY my career

wait

really?

Return to “Legal Employment�