Firm research sources

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ezjojo30

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Firm research sources

Postby ezjojo30 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:03 pm

Ive been reading through a lot of threads and did a few searches but I haven't come up with anything concrete in terms of where to look. I am beginning my oci/massmail prep by researching firms. I am looking for some data (if it exists publically) on compensation (salary) of various firms not listed on chambers associates. Additionally, I am looking for any data related to gpa of SA classes or hiring trends. I know the latter is less likely to exists or even be useful across a broad range if it does, but I feel like there should be a compilation of firms compensation somewhere. I am speaking of course of firms not in NYC but in other major/secondary markets.

User avatar
Desert Fox

Diamond
Posts: 18302
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:06 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

ezjojo30

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Re: Firm research sources

Postby ezjojo30 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:20 pm

I think this data would be useful personally when building my bid list for ocis. Id like to know that a regional midlaw firm pays 60k before I waste a bid on them. Id also like to know if a firm says top 10% if they've ever dipped below that in recent history. I do appreciate your elitist feedback though, however useless it is.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Firm research sources

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:23 pm

If they're regional firms and they're coming to your OCI they're presumably in your region, so wouldn't your CSO have this information?

User avatar
papercut

Silver
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Firm research sources

Postby papercut » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:34 pm

ezjojo30 wrote: I do appreciate your elitist feedback though, however useless it is.


:lol: What was elitist about DF's response?

User avatar
Desert Fox

Diamond
Posts: 18302
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:45 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

ezjojo30

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Re: Firm research sources

Postby ezjojo30 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:07 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If they're regional firms and they're coming to your OCI they're presumably in your region, so wouldn't your CSO have this information?


CSO's response was essentially we don't keep any statistics related to ocis.

User avatar
First Offense

Platinum
Posts: 7091
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Firm research sources

Postby First Offense » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ezjojo30 wrote:I think this data would be useful personally when building my bid list for ocis. Id like to know that a regional midlaw firm pays 60k before I waste a bid on them. Id also like to know if a firm says top 10% if they've ever dipped below that in recent history. I do appreciate your elitist feedback though, however useless it is.


I don't want to work at no TTT firm than pays 60k YOU ELITIST!

V42 elitist.

User avatar
First Offense

Platinum
Posts: 7091
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Firm research sources

Postby First Offense » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:08 pm

ezjojo30 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:If they're regional firms and they're coming to your OCI they're presumably in your region, so wouldn't your CSO have this information?


CSO's response was essentially we don't keep any statistics related to ocis.

Lol... Damn, shitty CSO.

ezjojo30

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Re: Firm research sources

Postby ezjojo30 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Is there really no source that simply lists associate salaries? I would think it would be fairly public information given the competitive nature of the industry.

User avatar
acijku2

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: Firm research sources

Postby acijku2 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:13 pm

ezjojo30 wrote:Is there really no source that simply lists associate salaries? I would think it would be fairly public information given the competitive nature of the industry.


I think google.com is a good resource to use. If it's not there then I think you're SOL.

User avatar
Serett

Diamond
Posts: 16036
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Firm research sources

Postby Serett » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:21 pm

ezjojo30 wrote:Is there really no source that simply lists associate salaries? I would think it would be fairly public information given the competitive nature of the industry.


NALP and Vault have most larger firms, but there are some well-paying firms not there, too. I don't know of a better resource.

User avatar
Glasseyes

Silver
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: Firm research sources

Postby Glasseyes » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:30 pm

I doubt you'll find any magical spreadsheet lurking around these parts, but if you google aggressively you'll probably find some (but definitely not all) of what you're after. Glassdoor is anecdotal and self-reported by all types of employees across various regions (with no way of guaranteeing a reported figure is the current figure), but sometimes you can find something that suggests a firm pays market (or more likely not, if you're struggling to find it.) Vault has a lot of them for sure, including some regionals. NALP definitely has plenty, and those should be accurate since firms self-report and have to do so yearly. Vault is sometimes out of date, so it's always worth cross-checking with NALP when available. Also look at specific firm's "careers" pages, or recruiting specific sites, which I know some firms now have. They may or may not include details, but some will have detailed breakdowns -- one local boutique does the whole 115k plus (supposedly large) quarterly bonuses and their site went to great pains to explain how it worked. Seek harder and ye might find, but no, there is no magical sheet with all of it aggregated for you. You have to build that yourself, then burn it so no one else can profit from your effort.

User avatar
Desert Fox

Diamond
Posts: 18302
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:38 pm

fobstory.jpeg
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
xael

Platinum
Posts: 7549
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: Firm research sources

Postby xael » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
First Offense wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ezjojo30 wrote:I think this data would be useful personally when building my bid list for ocis. Id like to know that a regional midlaw firm pays 60k before I waste a bid on them. Id also like to know if a firm says top 10% if they've ever dipped below that in recent history. I do appreciate your elitist feedback though, however useless it is.


I don't want to work at no TTT firm than pays 60k YOU ELITIST!

V42 elitist.


I do ENJOY my career


wait

really?



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.