switching biglaw offices as a first year? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

switching biglaw offices as a first year?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:07 pm

i'm set to begin as a first year in a biglaw office in CA. i'm about to sit for the CA bar later this month.

my firm has huge offices in both CA and NYC, and my practice group is pretty large at both. (IE, my impression is that someone in my position would be fungible and easily transferrable between the offices, but of course i could be wrong).

would it be possible to sit for the NY bar this upcoming feb and switch over to the NY office ASAP? would my firm resent me for even asking?

i think i have a compelling reason for the switch (long term s/o works in NYC).

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Re: switching biglaw offices as a first year?

Post by OutoftheWoods » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:26 pm

You have a good reason. Doubt they would resent you. My only question, why didn't you ask this once you got your offer after your SA??? Now you're unnecessarily taking the CA bar. I'm sure they'll ask you that question at least but I doubt they'll be mad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:37 pm

OP here: I was a 3L hire, and the CA office had an opening that I jumped at.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:51 pm

Oh wow. Well, was it like a rush opening or something you found out at 3L oci? I think if you just got it like a month ago, it would be sorta weird to bring it up right away (at least wait like a month of two of working, enough that you know whether they like you or not).

Off topic, but if you have any advice on how you found a big law job as a 3LOL, that would be appreciated. lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”