Typo in email to hiring partner Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
umichman

Bronze

Typo in email to hiring partner

Post by umichman » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:19 am

big deal or not? Resend email with corrected word or not?

jchiles

Silver

Re: Typo in email to hiring partner

Post by jchiles » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:44 am

Don't resend, I had one application where the hiring attorney actually pointed out a typo in my email on the phone when we were setting a date and time for the interview, and it clearly wasn't a big deal.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:06 am

no offer

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:08 am

transferror wrote:no offer
I think ur being sarcastic. But do u think its a big deal?

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:48 am

umichman wrote:big deal or not? Resend email with corrected word or not?
If you have a great resume, if they are looking to hire, and if you are a good fit then it's not a big deal.

If one of the three is not me then it's a moot point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:50 am

It's a moderate deal, I think. But there's nothing to do about it now. Don't resend (they may not even notice it).

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:00 am

Thanks guys. For context I typed keep and eye open instead of keep an eye open

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:21 am

umichman wrote:Thanks guys. For context I typed keep and eye open instead of keep an eye open
That is not a big deal.

DCNTUA

Bronze

Post by DCNTUA » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:36 am

umichman wrote:Thanks guys. For context I typed keep and eye open instead of keep an eye open
You are ~done in this town~

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Definitely don't obsess, and definitely not a major deal - but try not to do it in the future. Resending or bringing it up makes you look neurotic, so you just have to let it go and focus on other efforts.

Odds are pretty good it won't get noticed anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:13 pm

Try to be more careful in the future.

Thanks.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:25 pm

umichman wrote:
It's really no big deal. Just move on and keep and eye open for typos in the future.

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:27 pm

transferror wrote:
umichman wrote:
It's really no big deal. Just move on and keep and eye open for typos in the future.
I see what you did there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Not to freak you out, OP, but I met up with a rising 2L and recommended she email a partner that was also an alum from our school. The 2L misspelled my name, the partner noticed, and told me about it. She not-jokingly said, "Well, I guess we aren't interested anymore."

It can be a big deal but some people are more anal than others.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not to freak you out, OP, but I met up with a rising 2L and recommended she email a partner that was also an alum from our school. The 2L misspelled my name, the partner noticed, and told me about it. She not-jokingly said, "Well, I guess we aren't interested anymore."

There's a strong possibility that it will get noticed and it will be a deal-breaker. But there is no chance that resending will improve the situation. Nothing to do but forget about it and hope for the best.

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:14 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to freak you out, OP, but I met up with a rising 2L and recommended she email a partner that was also an alum from our school. The 2L misspelled my name, the partner noticed, and told me about it. She not-jokingly said, "Well, I guess we aren't interested anymore."

There's a strong possibility that it will get noticed and it will be a deal-breaker. But there is no chance that resending will improve the situation. Nothing to do but forget about it and hope for the best.

Ouch this is grim. Also it was a one line response email to an email from him. One letter in an article killing my candidacy seems harsh. But I guess it seems moot based on last two posts

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:28 pm

umichman wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:

Ouch this is grim. Also it was a one line response email to an email from him. One letter in an article killing my candidacy seems harsh. But I guess it seems moot based on last two posts
I didn't say it would "kill your candidacy". Some partners won't care/won't catch it. Others will. Given that lawyers are, well, lawyers, there's a better than usual chance that it will be noticed. Just yesterday, I listened to a hiring partner tell a group of 2Ls that she'll throw any resume with a typo in it into the garbage can. Fair? Probably not. But she's got hundreds of the things for each position, so if it helps her sort them out...

Anyway, you've already gotten accurate advice in this thread. The best thing to do is to hope they don't catch it or care. You can take comfort that it's only one e-mail to one partner: would be much worse to use a resume with a typo for OCI, for example. Don't do it again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:37 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
umichman wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:

I didn't say it would "kill your candidacy". Some partners won't care/won't catch it. Others will. Given that lawyers are, well, lawyers, there's a better than usual chance that it will be noticed.
I call bullshit. I'm a litigator, and not a day goes by that I don't see at least a half dozen typos in emails from opposing counsel, co-counsel, one my firm's lawyers, whatever. I'm basically desensitized to typos now.

Yeah, yeah, I get it: "If you're sloppy in an email about a job application, then you'll be sloppy in your work product! Ding!!" But notwithstanding UnicornHunter's little partner anecdote, I think it's more likely than not that the typo won't matter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:29 pm

I wouldn't worry, the anecdote about the misspelling of the name is different than an article used in a phrase.

Don't send anymore emails, don't fret and bet that they didn't notice. It's not and big deal OP.

I work in T & E and I can count on two hands the amount of times I've seen Attorneys misspell names/use wrong dates/use wrong titles on EP docs :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”