Notre Dame OCI Thread 2015 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Notre Dame OCI Thread 2015

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:39 am

I think it's time for a NDLS OCI thread for 2015. For discussion of bidding, employers, callbacks, OCI in general, etc. Stolen from the GULC thread:
Anonymous User wrote: ______________________________________________________________
Please Use Anonymous Handles

We all want to maintain some privacy during this process. That said, it is also nice to keep track of who is saying what. I’m going to recommend that everyone pick a handle to sign their anonymous posts with (you obviously don’t have to) so that we can keep track of one another.

Bidding

The basics of bidlist stuff should be straightforward even if you’re not Socrates: if you think other people are more likely to bid on a firm, you should bid it high. Firms that are less grade-selective or that have fewer interview spots are more competitive, so you should probably rank them higher.

Callbacks

Once we’re at least part way through the first rings of interviewing hell, people will get callbacks. In past years, people would post the firm name and the initials of the person who interviewed them when they received a callback so that people would know that callbacks had gone out.

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Notre Dame OCI Thread 2015

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:25 pm

Just warning you, I doubt there are more than 10 people from NDLS on here (and that's probably pushing it). When I started a thread for OCI back in 2011, I combined all the midwest T25/T30/T1 whatever schools into one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:26 am

Bid List, all Chicago:

1. Sidley
2. Latham
3. Ropes
4. Jones Day
5. Winston
6. Greenberg
7. Mayer
8. Foley & Lardner
9. Locke Lord
10. mcguirewoods
11. Baker & McKenzie
12. Holland & Knight
13. Chapman & Cutler
14. McDermott
15. Nixon Peabody
16. Schiff Hardin
17. Bryan Cave
18. Drinker (because 46 interview spots)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:26 am

Bid list for other week is:

1. Kirkland
2. Jenner

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:40 pm

How is OCI looking this year? How many firms?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bid list for other week is:

1. Kirkland
2. Jenner
Got a lol here.

First poster, what's your grade range? looks decently high. I'd submit my list, but bidding adjustments are over so I kind of don't want to find out how badly I screwed it up.

Are you mass-mailing/have you started?

ndirish, any advice for mass mailing New York firms as a safety and any advice in general on targeting Chicago with strong ties? Percentage wise, I'm hovering right around top 20% (I know we don't rank, but GPA's have changed so much from when you attended that I think this calculation is more valuable).

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:07 pm

What's the approximate cutoff for law review these days, if anyone knows?

I pretty much emailed every non V10 NYC office recruiters. I ended up getting 3 CBs though that. I really didn't talk to anyone at any of the firms until after I had gotten a call. I had ties to NYC but that is pretty irrelevant. With your grades you should at least have a shot at getting a few looks.

I lacked great ties to Chicago and was unable to break in at all, didn't even get any CBs. I think for mailing you just have to make sure your resume screams Chicago - maybe even more than it usually does.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:16 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:What's the approximate cutoff for law review these days, if anyone knows?

I pretty much emailed every non V10 NYC office recruiters. I ended up getting 3 CBs though that. I really didn't talk to anyone at any of the firms until after I had gotten a call. I had ties to NYC but that is pretty irrelevant. With your grades you should at least have a shot at getting a few looks.

I lacked great ties to Chicago and was unable to break in at all, didn't even get any CBs. I think for mailing you just have to make sure your resume screams Chicago - maybe even more than it usually does.
I doubt any one will know, but doing the math, I think 36 people had above a 3.6 this last semester, 32 the semester before, putting a 3.6 at roughly top 17%. If law review takes 15 kids through grade on, and there are ~200 kids in the class, puts grade on at top 7.5%. using the mylsn calc, top 7.5%/grade on looks to be right around a 3.76.

tldr - 3.76

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:What's the approximate cutoff for law review these days, if anyone knows?

I doubt any one will know, but doing the math, I think 36 people had above a 3.6 this last semester, 32 the semester before, putting a 3.6 at roughly top 17%. If law review takes 15 kids through grade on, and there are ~200 kids in the class, puts grade on at top 7.5%. using the mylsn calc, top 7.5%/grade on looks to be right around a 3.76.

tldr - 3.76
Brutal, it was below 3.7 my year, and some people made it on with below 3.6.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”