How relevant is legal experience in a field you aren't apply for. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How relevant is legal experience in a field you aren't apply for.

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:42 am

I've always wondered, how relevant is unrelated legal experience?

I think I might be getting some offers in some small firms that specialize in areas of law that I'm not interested in. I'm still waiting for the response from the big firm that I like. I guess my question is multi-part so I'll frame it better by listing it.

1) If I accept a offer with a small firm, go there for a week or so, and the firm that I desire accepts me, could I just up and leave the small firm? I would feel terrible doing that, does that happen at all?

2) If I work with the small firm for a while, and gather experience say in workers' compensation insurance defense, but want to eventually go to a bigger firm and do business litigation or toxic tort litigation, would my experience doing workers' comp work at the small firm be valued?

3) Is there anyway I can keep the employer waiting until I hear back from the firm I really want before I accept or reject his offer?

Thanks for any advice.

zot1

Gold

Re: How relevant is legal experience in a field you aren't apply for.

Post by zot1 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've always wondered, how relevant is unrelated legal experience?

I think I might be getting some offers in some small firms that specialize in areas of law that I'm not interested in. I'm still waiting for the response from the big firm that I like. I guess my question is multi-part so I'll frame it better by listing it.

1) If I accept a offer with a small firm, go there for a week or so, and the firm that I desire accepts me, could I just up and leave the small firm? I would feel terrible doing that, does that happen at all?

2) If I work with the small firm for a while, and gather experience say in workers' compensation insurance defense, but want to eventually go to a bigger firm and do business litigation or toxic tort litigation, would my experience doing workers' comp work at the small firm be valued?

3) Is there anyway I can keep the employer waiting until I hear back from the firm I really want before I accept or reject his offer?

Thanks for any advice.
1) It does happen and you can do it unless of course you have some sort of contract with the small firm, but those are rare. The things you have to worry about is reputation. If you're in a small market, then word can spread around that you did that, but I always say you should do what's best for you. After all, the small firm can just turn around and hire someone else.

2) It of course depends on the hiring committee/partner. If the small firm gives you some transferrable skills, then yeah, they'll be taken into account. But if they're looking for someone with experience within the particular area of law, then no, your experience won't be valued.

3) Yes, you can be upfront and let them know that you need more time to make a decision. This is of course tricky because you don't want them to just revoke the offer. However, I think most places will just say, "sure, you have until next Friday." A better strategy, I think, would be to contact the big firm and let them know that you have an offer, but you like them so much better so you'd love to know where you stand with them, or otherwise, you will have to take the other offer. I have had this work for me in the past, and I think it's common practice when you already have an offer to bargain with.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”