Georgetown - EIW 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Targeted Practice Area?

Litigation
38
54%
Transactional
32
46%
 
Total votes: 70

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Glasseyes » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:47 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Zack, do you know if the EIW Orientation (held this Friday at 6) is worth going to? Is there good, necessary information put out, or is it all common sense (don't be late to your interview, don't dress like an idiot, etc)


Also curious. Every 1L-101 event I attended was absolutely worthless, but supposedly one of the ones I missed was like earth-shattering stuff. GULC has a weak track record for these things but I don't want to be at a disadvantage either.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:25 am

Who schedules this kind of stuff on a friday night?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:https://m.colehaan.com/products/C14242?start=13&cgid=mens_shoes_oxfords

Are these shoes (British tan) too much to wear with a navy blue suit and a matching belt? Are black shoes and belt the better more conservative approach?


They may be a little on the lighter/riskier side, but I'm not sure if they would be that ridiculous as long as they look good with the suit and everything else you wear is more conservative and not flashy. I don't think they are something that would overshadow your interview, like that the interviewer would be so turned off by them to ding you outright, like wearing a weird colored shirt/tie or a flashy suit. But then again I don't know fashion my SO dresses me. Nice ass shoes doe

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2082
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:https://m.colehaan.com/products/C14242?start=13&cgid=mens_shoes_oxfords

Are these shoes (British tan) too much to wear with a navy blue suit and a matching belt? Are black shoes and belt the better more conservative approach?


They may be a little on the lighter/riskier side, but I'm not sure if they would be that ridiculous as long as they look good with the suit and everything else you wear is more conservative and not flashy. I don't think they are something that would overshadow your interview, like that the interviewer would be so turned off by them to ding you outright, like wearing a weird colored shirt/tie or a flashy suit. But then again I don't know fashion my SO dresses me. Nice ass shoes doe


This. If these are your current shoes and you don't want to buy anything new, they're probably fine. If you're asking if you should buy them, I'd go with the black (preferably) or burgundy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Is the consensus quantity over quality? I have 5 screeners between 9 and 12 at one point and I feel like I might be hurting myself by doing this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:44 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:https://m.colehaan.com/products/C14242?start=13&cgid=mens_shoes_oxfords

Are these shoes (British tan) too much to wear with a navy blue suit and a matching belt? Are black shoes and belt the better more conservative approach?


They may be a little on the lighter/riskier side, but I'm not sure if they would be that ridiculous as long as they look good with the suit and everything else you wear is more conservative and not flashy. I don't think they are something that would overshadow your interview, like that the interviewer would be so turned off by them to ding you outright, like wearing a weird colored shirt/tie or a flashy suit. But then again I don't know fashion my SO dresses me. Nice ass shoes doe


This. If these are your current shoes and you don't want to buy anything new, they're probably fine. If you're asking if you should buy them, I'd go with the black (preferably) or burgundy.


Shoe OP - Appreciate the feedback. Wasn't debating buying them, I already have them. I was debating between them or black shoes that are less professional looking, shiny and more social type shoes. Have the lesser of the two evils, I suppose. Thanks again

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:05 pm

Still looking to move around Fried Frank NYC, Stroock NYC, and Drinker Biddle DC!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:40 pm

Is Ropes & Gray NY considered to be more or less selective than firms like Fried Frank/Orrick?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:28 am

Anyone going to either the transfer student open house thing with careers services or to EIW orientation this evening?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:43 am

This EIW Orientation will be online tomorrow, correct? So if we aren't there we really aren't missing anything?

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2082
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby BmoreOrLess » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:This EIW Orientation will be online tomorrow, correct? So if we aren't there we really aren't missing anything?


Supposed to be.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:51 pm

What to do if your interviews are literally back to back, as in not even 10 minutes apart?

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2082
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby BmoreOrLess » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What to do if your interviews are literally back to back, as in not even 10 minutes apart?


I think those are what's frowned upon. Hope and pray that the interviewer doesnt care that you're 5-10 minutes late (good luck)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:12 pm

What to do if your interviews are literally back to back, as in not even 10 minutes apart?


I was able to schedule interviews that were back to back, then call the recruiting person to move it to an open spot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:44 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What to do if your interviews are literally back to back, as in not even 10 minutes apart?


I think those are what's frowned upon. Hope and pray that the interviewer doesnt care that you're 5-10 minutes late (good luck)?


This is fairly terrible advice. Interviewers know more than anyone else how unpredictable the lottery system is (probably they resent it more than we do too). They have been here before, and they know about back to back interviews. Basically the way to go about it is to politely inform the first interviewer that you will have to cut the interview short at *whatever time* on the dot, then run to your next interview, and tell the next interviewer that you had a back to back. The vast majority of interviewers will be ok with it. I wouldn't want a callback at a firm where the interviewer isn't tbh.

That being said one of the (only) important things we learned from the presentation today is that the two towers at the hotel only connect on the 10th and 11th floor (and obviously the first floor). Elevators are likely to stop on every floor at call times. So if you have a back to back you'd better know in advance where the closest staircase is, especially if the second callback is in the other tower. Otherwise you could easily lose 10mn.

EDIT to add the only other relevant stuff from tonight's presentation for those not interested in watching the full video:
- due to said elevator issues, head to your interview at least 10mn in advance
- interview times / schedules are posted in 4 different places (including the student only lounge) but NOT ONLINE. Because Georgetown.
- all other advice was to the extent of a) relax, b) don't make a fool of yourself (which includes checking social media, etc.), and c) what to bring / how the whole process works, which TLS already covers extensively.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:09 pm

I still can't see the name of my interviewers on symplicity please help

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2082
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby BmoreOrLess » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:48 pm

Terrible advise to tell someone they should be concerned about actual back-to-back (i.e., no 10 minute break) where you're likely to be at best 10 minutes late? When OCS also advised against this? OK. Solid use of anon as well.

I'm not saying don't do it. But I think it's at least equally reckless to tell someone its NBD. I wouldn't want to tell a top choice I need to leave a few minutes early or be almost certainly late.

User avatar
transferstudent1234
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:59 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby transferstudent1234 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What to do if your interviews are literally back to back, as in not even 10 minutes apart?


I think those are what's frowned upon. Hope and pray that the interviewer doesnt care that you're 5-10 minutes late (good luck)?


This is fairly terrible advice. Interviewers know more than anyone else how unpredictable the lottery system is (probably they resent it more than we do too). They have been here before, and they know about back to back interviews. Basically the way to go about it is to politely inform the first interviewer that you will have to cut the interview short at *whatever time* on the dot, then run to your next interview, and tell the next interviewer that you had a back to back. The vast majority of interviewers will be ok with it. I wouldn't want a callback at a firm where the interviewer isn't tbh.

That being said one of the (only) important things we learned from the presentation today is that the two towers at the hotel only connect on the 10th and 11th floor (and obviously the first floor). Elevators are likely to stop on every floor at call times. So if you have a back to back you'd better know in advance where the closest staircase is, especially if the second callback is in the other tower. Otherwise you could easily lose 10mn.

EDIT to add the only other relevant stuff from tonight's presentation for those not interested in watching the full video:
- due to said elevator issues, head to your interview at least 10mn in advance
- interview times / schedules are posted in 4 different places (including the student only lounge) but NOT ONLINE. Because Georgetown.
- all other advice was to the extent of a) relax, b) don't make a fool of yourself (which includes checking social media, etc.), and c) what to bring / how the whole process works, which TLS already covers extensively.


Thanks for the EIW orientation summary. Much appreciated!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:30 am

BmoreOrLess wrote:Terrible advise to tell someone they should be concerned about actual back-to-back (i.e., no 10 minute break) where you're likely to be at best 10 minutes late? When OCS also advised against this? OK. Solid use of anon as well.

I'm not saying don't do it. But I think it's at least equally reckless to tell someone its NBD. I wouldn't want to tell a top choice I need to leave a few minutes early or be almost certainly late.


I'm not saying it's NBD, I'm saying there is better advice to give than "better pray lol." Obviously the first thing to do is to get in touch with the firm and try to reschedule, but every year some people just get unlucky.
The advice to tell the interviewer is the one recruiters actually gave at the ocs event tonight, for what it's worth.

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Glasseyes » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:Terrible advise to tell someone they should be concerned about actual back-to-back (i.e., no 10 minute break) where you're likely to be at best 10 minutes late? When OCS also advised against this? OK. Solid use of anon as well.

I'm not saying don't do it. But I think it's at least equally reckless to tell someone its NBD. I wouldn't want to tell a top choice I need to leave a few minutes early or be almost certainly late.


I'm not saying it's NBD, I'm saying there is better advice to give than "better pray lol." Obviously the first thing to do is to get in touch with the firm and try to reschedule, but every year some people just get unlucky.
The advice to tell the interviewer is the one recruiters actually gave at the ocs event tonight, for what it's worth.


Gah, I gotta start attempting to reschedule some of these. I currently have 5 interviews back to back—2 on Monday, 3 all in one fabulous block on Tuesday, with both days starting at 8:40 = FML. I guess I only really need to reschedule 2 of em and the problem resolves itself, but still. I'm sick of hustling for basic shit already.

User avatar
inchipwetrust
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby inchipwetrust » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:56 pm

Was planning on driving to the Hyatt but saw parking is $38 for the day and would really rather not spend that just to park. Anyone know of parking elsewhere that's cheaper and still close? Should I park on the street? I'm coming from over the river and should take the metro but not risking it during EIW because Murphy's law. Appreciate anyone's help.

GULCPerson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby GULCPerson » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:24 am

inchipwetrust wrote:Was planning on driving to the Hyatt but saw parking is $38 for the day and would really rather not spend that just to park. Anyone know of parking elsewhere that's cheaper and still close? Should I park on the street? I'm coming from over the river and should take the metro but not risking it during EIW because Murphy's law. Appreciate anyone's help.


Street parking around there can be scarce, don't count on finding a spot. There's a commercial lot attached to the buildings just East of campus (blanking on the name right now) that I think is open to the public? and there's one connected to and a few that neighbor Union Station too, all of which will be something more like $20-25 for the day. Have no idea if they get full though. Is taking the metro/ubering over extra early not an option?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:56 am

inchipwetrust wrote:Was planning on driving to the Hyatt but saw parking is $38 for the day and would really rather not spend that just to park. Anyone know of parking elsewhere that's cheaper and still close? Should I park on the street? I'm coming from over the river and should take the metro but not risking it during EIW because Murphy's law. Appreciate anyone's help.


The Liaison has $14/day parking (maybe with some restrictions re: entry/leaving time but it should work). Also, student parking at Gulc? Don't know anything about it but maybe?

User avatar
inchipwetrust
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby inchipwetrust » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:25 am

GULCPerson wrote:Street parking around there can be scarce, don't count on finding a spot. There's a commercial lot attached to the buildings just East of campus (blanking on the name right now) that I think is open to the public? and there's one connected to and a few that neighbor Union Station too, all of which will be something more like $20-25 for the day. Have no idea if they get full though. Is taking the metro/ubering over extra early not an option?


Oh great I'll definitely look into the ones around union station, definitely let me know if you recall the name of the garage east of campus since that's probably the closest one to the Hyatt. And I was thinking about doing uber but I feel like coming from Arlington to the Hyatt, door-to-door, would be right around $38 so I'd rather have the peace of mind of just driving myself, ya know? And I've yet to take the metro because I'm not fully moved down yet. I know the route but don't wanna risk any unforeseeable mistakes i could make or add stress

User avatar
inchipwetrust
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby inchipwetrust » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:The Liaison has $14/day parking (maybe with some restrictions re: entry/leaving time but it should work). Also, student parking at Gulc? Don't know anything about it but maybe?


Awesome, thank you I'm looking into the liaison now. I don't think I can use student parking yet b/c I'm a transfer and don't have a go-card yet. Appreciate the help TLS




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.