Georgetown - EIW 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Targeted Practice Area?

Litigation
38
54%
Transactional
32
46%
 
Total votes: 70

User avatar
inchipwetrust
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby inchipwetrust » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:12 pm

For firms we didn't get interviews for -- is it best to email them saying you still want to interview with them or should we just go ahead and apply via their online application system? Possibly a combo of the two, applying online then emailing saying you didn't get a bid but you just did an online application?

Coelum
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Coelum » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:39 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Coelum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When emailing firms we didn't get screeners with, do we need a resume/transcript/cover letter combo or is just a resume sufficient?


Same question here.

No need for a transcript. If you bid them then they have it already. A cover letter seems unnecessary, but a current resume (with updated rankings or journal info) couldn't hurt. Worst case if you're paranoid about it attach an electronic version of your transcript anyway - it doesn't hurt anything.


Thanks for the advice.

Should we be emailing the recruitment coordinator at the firm, the interviewers (if we know them), or both?

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10736
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:40 pm

Coelum wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
Coelum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When emailing firms we didn't get screeners with, do we need a resume/transcript/cover letter combo or is just a resume sufficient?


Same question here.

No need for a transcript. If you bid them then they have it already. A cover letter seems unnecessary, but a current resume (with updated rankings or journal info) couldn't hurt. Worst case if you're paranoid about it attach an electronic version of your transcript anyway - it doesn't hurt anything.


Thanks for the advice.

Should we be emailing the recruitment coordinator at the firm, the interviewers (if we know them), or both?

Recruiting contact on NALP always.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:56 pm

And just realized I have Four interviews Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back. I assume there's nothing I can do about this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:58 pm

how will we know what rooms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:05 pm

3L here. Bid 30 firms, received 0 invites to interview. 3LOLCI sucks.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10736
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And just realized I have Four interviews Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back. I assume there's nothing I can do about this?

Get very good at running and pray no interviews before you run over time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:39 pm

When does this trading business start? Is that a real thing?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Transfer here -- everyone should feel good about their 9-10 interview screens b/c....I GOT 5.......time to do some serious hustling :(

User avatar
PourMeTea
Posts: 6508
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby PourMeTea » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Transfer here -- everyone should feel good about their 9-10 interview screens b/c....I GOT 5.......time to do some serious hustling :(


How did you bid? Hopefully you can add a good number of interviews when that period starts.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:02 pm

Scheduled an appointment with career services and did what I was told. Some out of reach ones here and there.. the ones i had a shot at the top. Thanks -- hoping to get some thru open sign up period, but I don't know the likelihood of that happening.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Scheduled an appointment with career services and did what I was told. Some out of reach ones here and there.. the ones i had a shot at the top. Thanks -- hoping to get some thru open sign up period, but I don't know the likelihood of that happening.

Yeah and hit the hospitality suites hard. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Thanks! I did read about that but don't know too much about it.. TLS has everything so I'll do some research lol Good luck to you as well.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby JustHawkin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:41 pm

What is this about trading!?

ETA: Sorry to those who have a very lop-sided schedule. I, thankfully, have one that is well spaced out. Hoping to change that with open sign up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:23 pm

3L here.

I was able to add a ton of interviews last year through the open sign up period. Get ready to refresh right when the time hits and you'll definitely be able to get 2, then do the same thing every 24 hours until satisfied.

The rooms will be posted in the downstairs conference room on the day of the interviews.

Don't make dinner plans. You'll probably get invited to a few receptions.

Happy to answer questions if you have any.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, this:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the best way to contact firms you bid but didn't get? Shoot an email to recruiter?


Does this work? Haven't they already taken a pass on you by not preselecting?


Curious about this too... So you guys are just mentioning in the email that you didn't get an interview through the lottery but are very interested in interviewing with them?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:57 pm

Just pitching in with more screener numbers. 16, spread among a few cities. 6 NY, 4 DC, 4 Boston, 1 each LA & SF. Slightly above median, bid all 50 slots, and went for firms that had been relatively underbid in past years (including a few that pay below market.) Good luck to everybody!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:02 pm

I may be a little ahead of myself but I am Interested in trading when open sign ups happen. I've heard from upperclassmen it's best to do it really late at night to guarantee you'll get the trade before someone else grabs it. I have a V15 I want to give up. Looking for NYC offices of Seward, Morgan Lewis, Pryor Cashman, or Paul Hastings.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:24 pm

For firms with multiple offices, Skadden for example, since they are ranked 3 by Vault, is just the NYC office third or is that ranking firm wide?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:25 pm

^^^Can't help with any of those, but I may be willing to trade a NYC V15 (hopefully not the same one as above) for certain DC offices. Particularly looking for Jones Day, Sidley, Akin Gump, Paul Hastings, or Morgan Lewis, but will consider others in DC. Interested peeps should post from their main account and I'll shoot a PM.

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Glasseyes » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For firms with multiple offices, Skadden for example, since they are ranked 3 by Vault, is just the NYC office third or is that ranking firm wide?


Firmwide, but Vault is basically just a rundown of NYC corporate rankings anyway. Vault has individual rankings by city and region but no one says Mid-Atlantic-V7 or anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:54 pm

Willing to trade a V5 or V10 for Debevoise NY, Fried Frank NY, or Cadwalader NY, Jones Day DC, Hogan Lovells DC.

User avatar
inchipwetrust
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby inchipwetrust » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:51 pm

Fingers crossed for journal results tomorrow … how many of you guys will accept a secondary journal if you make it? I guess it also depends which one, but generally speaking. I was all about it when I was doing the competition, but after reading some other threads and posts stating that secondary journal membership is a nice resume booster, but not a deal-breaker if you don't have it, I'm having my doubts. Idk if its worth the time and effort that I could put into just getting good grades. Interested to hear where others are on this & also, is everything except GLJ qualified as a secondary journal?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:55 pm

inchipwetrust wrote:Fingers crossed for journal results tomorrow … how many of you guys will accept a secondary journal if you make it? I guess it also depends which one, but generally speaking. I was all about it when I was doing the competition, but after reading some other threads and posts stating that secondary journal membership is a nice resume booster, but not a deal-breaker if you don't have it, I'm having my doubts. Idk if its worth the time and effort that I could put into just getting good grades. Interested to hear where others are on this & also, is everything except GLJ qualified as a secondary journal?

I've already accepted a spot on a secondary. And yes, they are all secondaries. There are certainly some that are much better (at least from a resume standpoint) (i.e. Tax, Crim, and Int'l). It honestly depends on what you wanna do. Some positions want any journal, some really won't care, especially if it isn't law review.

Also to the above anon, I cancelled a Jones Day DC, so feel free to try and snag it right when open sign ups occur.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:20 pm

Journal work is really not a big time sink. Even on GLJ, I don't think I spent more than 5 hours in any week during the fall, and usually substantially less. In the spring, it takes as much time as you want it to take. If you wind up with one of the more time intensive editorial roles, it can be a substantial commitment, but that's certainly not necessary.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.