Georgetown - EIW 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Targeted Practice Area?

Litigation
38
54%
Transactional
32
46%
 
Total votes: 70

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Follow up with the registrars office if you don't get it before July and think you might be in the range. They didn't sent my notification to me until October last year. I was pretty pissed.


Good to know, thanks!

Sent an inquiry email and was told by the registrar that those notifications went out a few weeks ago... I don't believe that, the person must believe I meant the standard honors cutoffs (not meant to brag, there is just literally no way I'm outside of the top 5%).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Follow up with the registrars office if you don't get it before July and think you might be in the range. They didn't sent my notification to me until October last year. I was pretty pissed.


Good to know, thanks!

Sent an inquiry email and was told by the registrar that those notifications went out a few weeks ago... I don't believe that, the person must believe I meant the standard honors cutoffs (not meant to brag, there is just literally no way I'm outside of the top 5%).


You're probably right. I have a high 3.8x. Career Services said I was almost surely top 5%, and I have not received any notification.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby JustHawkin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:22 pm

barkschool wrote:I would assume anything is free game, and worth picking up, during open-signups.

edit- minus IP if you're not IP


Right. Really just wanted to gauge the room as to whether 1) there usually is more than just IP and 2) if there are any non-IP major markets (NYC/DC/LA) that are available during open-signup, or whether it's mostly smaller markets.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10707
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:26 pm

I picked up Allen & Overy, Crowell & Moring, and I think one other from open signups. Anything probably goes, but it depends on what extra slots firms have built in or are willing to make for you.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4133
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:15 am

Dumb question, but what's the deal with cover letters? We're not expected to show up with one to interviews we pick up through the bidlist, right? It's only for mass mailing?

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10707
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:37 am

I did not have cover letters I don't think. Your resume and transcript speak plainly enough and the rest is what the screener itself is for.

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Glasseyes » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:02 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Dumb question, but what's the deal with cover letters? We're not expected to show up with one to interviews we pick up through the bidlist, right? It's only for mass mailing?


That's my understanding. Several of the other interns where I'm working this summer go to different DC schools, and they all had to submit cover letters through Symplicity, so I was taken aback when we didn't have the option. Probably has to do with our lottery/preselect hybrid clusterfuck of chaos, and the fact that our class could fill the Rose Bowl. But to your question, I can't see why a firm would even want one once they've (most likely) been forced to screen us anyway.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:56 pm

Are we supposed to bring references even if the firm doesn't ask for them? And does anyone from last year know if the firms actually call them?

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10707
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:59 pm

Yes bring references. I don't think anyone ever called mine.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:03 pm

Much obliged.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:03 pm

Much obliged.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:14 pm

5% letter was in my mailbox today. Gave the exact percent above 5. No email yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:5% letter was in my mailbox today. Gave the exact percent above 5. No email yet.


What's your gpa range? DC here and didn't get a letter :-|

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:5% letter was in my mailbox today. Gave the exact percent above 5. No email yet.


What's your gpa range? DC here and didn't get a letter :-|

Between 3.85 and 3.9, top 2%. Letter was dated July 15 btw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:22 am

Write-on results tomorrow, perhaps? They posted this Friday in the previous two years...

User avatar
theotherone823
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby theotherone823 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Write-on results tomorrow, perhaps? They posted this Friday in the previous two years...


I sure hope so. Is it safe to assume OJA will email us when they are up?

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby EzraFitz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Write-on results tomorrow, perhaps? They posted this Friday in the previous two years...

I thought they posted the last Friday in July, which would be next week?

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:54 am

EzraFitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Write-on results tomorrow, perhaps? They posted this Friday in the previous two years...

I thought they posted the last Friday in July, which would be next week?


:evil: :evil: :evil: :roll: :roll: :roll:

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10707
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:57 am

FYI: Unless you are a dork (like me) who likes research and writing, secondary journals are a waste of time. Main journal is too, honestly, but there are slight bumps on the ole resume for EIW with main journal at a couple firms.

In general the work is annoying, there is little or no career or hiring reward for it, and you may end up having to judge write on which is painful because honestly most of you are terrible writers.
Last edited by Capitol_Idea on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:58 am

Also, if they pull some horseshit and push everything back based on this "last Friday" timeline so EIW results come out the Wednesday before, I might lose it.

User avatar
theotherone823
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby theotherone823 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:07 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Write-on results tomorrow, perhaps? They posted this Friday in the previous two years...

I thought they posted the last Friday in July, which would be next week?


:evil: :evil: :evil: :roll: :roll: :roll:


Based on past GULC EIW threads, it looks like write on results were released on the 25th last year and the 26th the year before that. So tomorrow is probably a good bet.

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Glasseyes » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:26 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:FYI: Unless you are a dork (like me) who likes research and writing, secondary journals are a waste of time. Main journal is too, honestly, but there are slight bumps on the ole resume for EIW with main journal at a couple firms.

In general the work is annoying, there is little or no career or hiring reward for it, and you may end up having to judge write on which is painful because honestly most of you are terrible writers.


Out of curiosity, what are you basing the "little or no career or hiring reward" language on? Like, recruiters or hiring partners at your firm came right out said that, or just an assumption based on observation? Not calling you out, just genuinely curious because it conflicts with what I've heard from recruiters.

The handful of recruiting people that I've spoken with all made it sound like secondary journal is still better than no journal, though they acknowledge that all journals are ultimately pointless besides their function as a resume credential and a line on your firm bio. One associate who does a lot of OCI interviews (who personally didn't do journal) said she won't necessarily hold it against someone if they didn't do journal... so long as they had a different substantial activity (moot court, mock trial, etc / not wine tasting club) that fills the void. She also acknowledged she was the only person in recruiting at her firm that didn't flat out expect one journal or another from GULC peeps.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10707
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:36 pm

Every person who I have ever spoken to who went through OCI at any school, as well as my own hiring experience and that of my peers. Recruiting staff should very rarely, if ever, be listened to. Nobody at law firms ask about it, nobody at firms cares.

The difference between secondary journal and no journal for hiring purposes is so negligible compared to all the other things you could be doing. Also keep in mind once you are done EIW and have an offer, firms don't care if you actually follow through with journal.

Associate at Simpson told me he asked the firm if they would care if he quit and focused on school. Spoiler: they did not.

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Glasseyes » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:56 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Every person who I have ever spoken to who went through OCI at any school, as well as my own hiring experience and that of my peers. Recruiting staff should very rarely, if ever, be listened to. Nobody at law firms ask about it, nobody at firms cares.

The difference between secondary journal and no journal for hiring purposes is so negligible compared to all the other things you could be doing. Also keep in mind once you are done EIW and have an offer, firms don't care if you actually follow through with journal.

Associate at Simpson told me he asked the firm if they would care if he quit and focused on school. Spoiler: they did not.


Fair enough; we've been told different things by different people. The folks I was referring to were attorneys who conduct interviews, not just non-JD recruiters.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Georgetown - EIW 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:01 pm

This might've been covered, but what's the general rule for which bid slots most/all people get? Meaning can we generally count on 1-5, 1-10, etc? I know the preselect kind of throws a wrench in things, but just wondering if there's been a general trend in past years.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.