Government Honors Programs - other than DOJ (2015-2016 Cycle) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Government Honors Programs - other than DOJ (2015-2016 Cycle)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:51 am

Anymore EPA news after the screening interviews? I was told it would be a couple weeks so I was just hoping someone had an update

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:01 am

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say, it wasn't until March 18th last year that I was first contacted by my now boss about an interview.

So don't lose hope. It is still early for some of the agencies that take foreeeeeever to start interviews.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anymore EPA news after the screening interviews? I was told it would be a couple weeks so I was just hoping someone had an update

I had an EPA OGC screener last Monday and they said they'd be offering second round interviews at the end of this week, so hopefully soon!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:10 pm

Have those who interviewed with NLRB been given offers? I know it's ultracompetitive, but I'm baffled as to how I didn't even get an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:15 pm

NLRB HQ status went to "Referred" today after a barrage of automated emails. Not sure if this means anything, or if hiring is even still taking place.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NLRB HQ status went to "Referred" today after a barrage of automated emails. Not sure if this means anything, or if hiring is even still taking place.
It means you made the "qualified" list (your applications meets all the requirements of the position. Now your application goes to the actual hiring committee which will then select applications for interviews.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:26 pm

anyone hear from the EPA yet about second round interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear from the EPA yet about second round interviews?
Ding email this morning. Good luck to anyone who got a second interview!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:38 pm

Email update from USACE: they are done with interviews but my application is on hold on the waitlist if something should open up in my region (I only put down one office).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TransferHopeful17

New

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:52 pm

Hope something opens up at that office for you.

What was the interview process like with USACE? I am assuming they do them around the same time as EPA. Are there typically fewer jobs available than EPA or does it vary too much year to year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:02 am

USACE has two round of interviews. One with the Chief Counsel first and then one with the specific office you are planning to go to.

Last year, I believe USACE picked up about 10-12 honors attorneys, so compared to other non-DOJ agencies, the class was decent.

Unlike other agencies, USACE selects honors attorneys based on the needs of individual offices. So each year the class will vary depending on what offices need.

Although you're a civilian, in my opinion, it is a mistake to not cast as wide of a net when you are applying to the program by selecting several offices in your preferences. First, the chances that the office nearest to you has an opening when you are applying are very low. Second, you can transfer to another office within a year or two--depending on how quickly you get experience. Third, although you are not required to go to other places like servicemembers do, there are temporary assignments (an office needs an attorney for a month, for example) and when you put down several offices as your preference, that is an indication that you would be more likely to participate in those assignments. But again, those are not required and they are actually highly desirable. And fourth, the more offices you put down, the more likely your resume is to end up at an office that has a vacancy even if you didn't put that office in your preferences. For example, say you live in Seattle and you put all the offices in your state plus Illinois and California. Chances are that if there's an opening in Portland, your resume might be sent to that office anyway. Now, Portland may not have been your first choice, but what if you interview there, get the job, and end up loving it? And again, there's also the fact that you can transfer later.

This is of course not valuable to you now, but maybe this way future applicants will read it.

Edit: I had gotten the class size wrong because math.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TransferHopeful17

New

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:54 am

Thanks for the insight. I'll have had some relevant experience in environmental law at the fed level by the time I graduate and I know I'll be looking at applying to USACE over the summer. It sounds like I should apply fairly broadly in selecting offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:54 pm

Just got a clerkship that I'll be starting soon, after having been in a fellowship for the last six months post graduation. My understanding is that I'll be eligible still be eligible to apply for honors programs. Question though--I was not really competitive for honors programs before this clerkship, and it's a just a flyover district clerkship. If my gpa is pretty subpar for honors programs, will the clerkship matter?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a clerkship that I'll be starting soon, after having been in a fellowship for the last six months post graduation. My understanding is that I'll be eligible still be eligible to apply for honors programs. Question though--I was not really competitive for honors programs before this clerkship, and it's a just a flyover district clerkship. If my gpa is pretty subpar for honors programs, will the clerkship matter?
Yes, most honors programs allow clerks to apply.

The clerkship will help, but it won't necessarily overcome a subpar GPA since the GPA requirement still applies (most agencies want top 30%). It'll all depend on who ends up reading your application. Maybe they will be impressed that you landed a clerkship despite your GPA. Or maybe not.

I would still apply. Not applying for fear of not being competitive is not the way to go.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:45 pm

I know this one is probably at the bottom of everyone's radar, but has anyone heard from USPS? My application status sadly still says Pre-screening :roll:

alcabct

New

Post by alcabct » Wed May 18, 2016 7:28 pm

ndp1234 wrote:I know this one is probably at the bottom of everyone's radar, but has anyone heard from USPS? My application status sadly still says Pre-screening :roll:
It's on my radar! I applied to the DC job, I'm "In Process" and made the "Hiring List."

I interviewed in January and have not heard anything since. Do you have any contact information?

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Thu May 26, 2016 5:17 pm

I think it's safe to say I've been dinged. I applied to all of the locations, but it still says pre-screening. I know that they reject people all at the end, so I was just curious if other people had received responses.

Congrats and thanks for the info!
alcabct wrote:
ndp1234 wrote:I know this one is probably at the bottom of everyone's radar, but has anyone heard from USPS? My application status sadly still says Pre-screening :roll:
It's on my radar! I applied to the DC job, I'm "In Process" and made the "Hiring List."

I interviewed in January and have not heard anything since. Do you have any contact information?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2016 7:12 pm

ndp1234 wrote:I think it's safe to say I've been dinged. I applied to all of the locations, but it still says pre-screening. I know that they reject people all at the end, so I was just curious if other people had received responses.

Congrats and thanks for the info!
alcabct wrote:

I applied last cycle and didn't get my rejection until September.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”