District Attorney Offices 2016 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CD22190

New

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Post by CD22190 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any Nassau hires?
One of my classmates had a Nassau offer.
When did you classmate receive their offer? Every time I speak with them all I get is a "no decisions have been made hopefully final decisions will be made soon..." sort of response. Anyone know what's going on over there?
Different anon here, I had a classmate with a Nassau (Long Island, just in case you mean a different Nassau) offer by January.

EDIT: But maybe they mean no rejection decisions have been made.

Myself and two people from my school were hired between Jan-Feb, wondering who else!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:36 pm

Here's a random question for you guys: do ADAs get overtime pay, or are they exempt?

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's a random question for you guys: do ADAs get overtime pay, or are they exempt?
lol no

Edit: actually, I think Miami pays so horribly they may have to start paying it.

fauxpsych

Bronze

Post by fauxpsych » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's a random question for you guys: do ADAs get overtime pay, or are they exempt?
Does any lawyer get overtime pay?

reasonableperson

New

Post by reasonableperson » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:59 am

fauxpsych wrote:
nycada21 wrote:Sorry if I completely missed the boat (just found out about these forums 1.5 months after graduating law school... niceeee) and studying for the bar doesn't give me much time to sift through all 27 pages of this thread.

But hi! Anybody here also starting at the Bronx DA? Also, is there a Bronx FB group?
I'll be in the Bronx this fall as well. No facebook group and I have no intention of starting/joining one.
This. You'll make plenty of friends when we start. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is more than half of DANY's class typically made up of t14ers? From the fb group + who I know that's not on fb, a whole lot of t14. i wonder if its just because this is a bigger class
No. There are plenty of people from T14 schools as well as first and second tier schools here. You get the occasional person from outside of that range here. However, no one cares where you went to school. We care whether you carry your weight during ECAB shifts and whether you're willing to cover when people get sent out to trial.

nycada21

New

Post by nycada21 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:11 am

reasonableperson wrote:
fauxpsych wrote:
nycada21 wrote:Sorry if I completely missed the boat (just found out about these forums 1.5 months after graduating law school... niceeee) and studying for the bar doesn't give me much time to sift through all 27 pages of this thread.

But hi! Anybody here also starting at the Bronx DA? Also, is there a Bronx FB group?
I'll be in the Bronx this fall as well. No facebook group and I have no intention of starting/joining one.
This. You'll make plenty of friends when we start. :lol:
Hahahaha I'm excited. Looking forward to meeting everyone in a couple of months.

Tigerbait2015

New

Post by Tigerbait2015 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Last edited by Tigerbait2015 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:03 pm

Tigerbait2015 wrote:Just got an offer from an office that requires you to commit for several years. I have no intention of breaking that commitment if I were to accept and in fact I'm inclined to accept the offer, but does anyone know what that means? E.g. if for some reason an emergency required you to move somewhere else within the commitment period, what happens?
Former Miami ASA here. If it's Miami, no one really cares about the commitment other than the State Attorney. I've heard stories of her at social events going up to bosses of people who have left and tried to grill them for hiring someone who broke commitment only be to be dismissed as unimportant. The only real reason why breaking commitment would ever become an issue is if you wanted to go back to the office after you decide private practice isn't for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tigerbait2015 wrote:Just got an offer from an office that requires you to commit for several years. I have no intention of breaking that commitment if I were to accept and in fact I'm inclined to accept the offer, but does anyone know what that means? E.g. if for some reason an emergency required you to move somewhere else within the commitment period, what happens?
Former Miami ASA here. If it's Miami, no one really cares about the commitment other than the State Attorney. I've heard stories of her at social events going up to bosses of people who have left and tried to grill them for hiring someone who broke commitment only be to be dismissed as unimportant. The only real reason why breaking commitment would ever become an issue is if you wanted to go back to the office after you decide private practice isn't for you.
So is it just like an ADA version of a non-compete, in a sense? Or may there be actual immediate consequences if someone accepts an offer with a commitment and then has to leave for unforeseen reasons (i.e., would someone have to pay a fine, etc.)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
So is it just like an ADA version of a non-compete, in a sense? Or may there be actual immediate consequences if someone accepts an offer with a commitment and then has to leave for unforeseen reasons (i.e., would someone have to pay a fine, etc.)?
Non-competes are not enforceable against attorneys working in their capacity as an attorney. The only real, financial impact is that Miami will withhold your unused vacation pay-out if you don't make your three years. This essentially results in forfeiting a few thousand dollars, which in grand scheme of things isn't that much money considering any job you leave the Miami SAO for will probably be paying you tens of thousands of dollars more in salary; i.e. you make up for it in two months.

fauxpsych

Bronze

Post by fauxpsych » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Different anon here.

At OCI for one of the NYC offices I was told point blank "not to worry about it" and "it's not like we can enforce it or anything". I feel like it has more to do with references. "Candidate A worked here, but did not complete her 3 year commitment."

I personally know of someone who left before her commitment (no emergency, just didn't want to practice crim law anymore) and it didn't seem to be an issue, she even got a plaque thanking her for her service.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:22 am

When do most offices start their training in August?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:When do most offices start their training in August?
Brooklyn doesn't start until 9/26, which is a bummer because I could use a paycheck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:08 pm

Bronx is September 6th.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:59 pm

Queens is typically after labor day, but you can start working anytime after the bar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:09 pm

encore1101 wrote:
Queens is typically after labor day, but you can start working anytime after the bar.
Paid?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ADA hopeful

New

Post by ADA hopeful » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Rising 2L and prospective DA gunner here. I'm trying to target the Sun Belt: Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California. Do any of these places hire pre-bar? Or is most hiring done post-bar?

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
Paid?

Yup. You work intake shifts primarily, but may get the chance to do an arraignment shift or so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:30 pm

Bronx terminates you if you resign before your commitment is up.

They might not terminate you if you're leaving for another DA's office or some other government agency. This was under Rob though, and at this point I don't know whether Judge Clark is doing the same thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:20 pm

What's going on at DANY? Heard lots of rumors of turnover/general dissatisfaction in the Trial Bureaus. For example, they usually lose about 17 Trial Division ADAs a year and as of June they've lost over 40. Spoke briefly with someone who uses to work there (now an AUSA) and said morale is way low and that a lot of people feel undervalued.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:30 pm

ADA hopeful wrote:Rising 2L and prospective DA gunner here. I'm trying to target the Sun Belt: Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California. Do any of these places hire pre-bar? Or is most hiring done post-bar?
Go on their websites and look it up. It should be posted in their career opportunities section.

Bratty_60

New

Post by Bratty_60 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:34 pm

I'll also be in the Bronx:))

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:24 pm

anyone here about the Bronx DA hiring now? they have some new funds and have started interviewing again to hire for September class

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone here about the Bronx DA hiring now? they have some new funds and have started interviewing again to hire for September class

By interview again, do you mean invite the people who made it to the final round but didn't get an offer for this upcoming class?

I recall I had a classmate who made it to the final but didn't get an offer, but he made it sound like he was waitlisted. Would be a nice surprise to get one this late in the game.

Speaking of late in the game, I still have yet to hear ANYTHING back from KCDA since my panel back in September. Not even a rejection when I updated about another offer. I took the other offer, but it's unprofessional AF and my career office is just bamboozled by it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”