District Attorney Offices 2016

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do all of the NY offices have a FB group?

You mean for TLS or the actual office?

fauxpsych

Postby fauxpsych » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:If I can search for an answer to my question, please yell at me.

I am doing a biglaw 2L summer and want to know whether applying for ADA jobs is foreclosed to me. Would love any tips if ya got em.

I can only speak to the NYC Offices. I don't believe they would be closed to you, but I think it would be tougher than you think. It's nearly an unspoken requirement that at some point you interned in a criminal law capacity (not necessarily a DA office, even criminal judges or legal aide is solid). Any experience you can point to in your resume or cover letter will be helpful. Pretty much what they look for is "Does this candidate actually want to be a prosecutor and how has he expressed that desire?" Being a top student at a top law school that can snag a 2L SA does not get you far, on its own, in the ADA hiring process (well, maybe Manhattan :lol: ).

The NYC Offices hiring process starts the August going into your 3L year, so if you absolutely hate your SA, give it a try but be prepared to take some (good-natured) flak about you being "too good" for this job.
Last edited by fauxpsych on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

swampman

Postby swampman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:41 am

fauxpsych wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If I can search for an answer to my question, please yell at me.

I am doing a biglaw 2L summer and want to know whether applying for ADA jobs is foreclosed to me. Would love any tips if ya got em.

I can only speak to the NYC Offices. I don't believe they would be closed to you, but I think it would be tougher than you think. It's nearly an unspoken requirement that at some point you interned in a criminal law capacity (not necessarily a DA office even criminal judges or legal aide is solid). Any experience you can point to in your resume or cover letter will be helpful. Pretty much what they look for is "Does this candidate actually want to be a prosecutor and how has he expressed that desire?" Being a top student at a top law school that can snag a 2L SA does not get you far, on its own, in the ADA hiring process (well, maybe Manhattan :lol: ).

The NYC Offices hiring process starts the August going into your 3L year, so if you absolutely hate your SA, give it a try but be prepared to take some (good-natured) flak about you being "too good" for this job.

Yeah, I would second this. Absolutely not foreclosed, but you're going to have to work twice as hard to prove that 1. you are committed to prosecution and its not just a fallback because you didn't get an offer from your firm, 2. that you would be good at it, since the skills are very different than biglaw skills, and 3. that you can hit the ground running. You better be able to sell yourself on those points.
Absolutely expect a lot of flak in interviews, some to actually find out whether you hit the above three points, and some just because many of these interviews are stress interviews to see how you react on your feet, and that will be a really easy point to hit you on. Don't expect this to be an OCI-style process where you're hired based on your grades and a basic ability to hold a conversation.

Jetsfan24

Postby Jetsfan24 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:55 pm

Like a fb group for the new hires. I wanna see which office is hiring the most attractive females

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:45 pm

stealthgunner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:to all the DANY people in here..where do you guys plan on living?

I (if i get the job) want to live in Manhattan. It's weird to not live in the city amongst those you represent. I also have two small dogs, and would love to have a roommate or two.

Many of us at the office live in the "other" boroughs. Some of us with an even shorter subway ride to work than people in uptown Manhattan. :wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:13 pm

What is the typical dress code when you aren't at trial? I'm at a firm that is "California business casual," and am wondering if I can still wear jeans in the office, or whether I should invest in slacks again.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Like a fb group for the new hires. I wanna see which office is hiring the most attractive females

:roll:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is the typical dress code when you aren't at trial? I'm at a firm that is "California business casual," and am wondering if I can still wear jeans in the office, or whether I should invest in slacks again.

For the NYC offices, I'm pretty sure it's business professional minus the suit - so you can top it on at a minute's notice for whatever meeting/ interview/ thing that may arise. The hiring lady at a DA's office told me that as prosecutors, we're suppose to look "professional" at all times.

I guess also that since you will be in court most days, there really isn't any time to change into business casual. Once you get back into the office from court, take off the suit unless you're cold or something.

It this accurate guys?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the typical dress code when you aren't at trial? I'm at a firm that is "California business casual," and am wondering if I can still wear jeans in the office, or whether I should invest in slacks again.

For the NYC offices, I'm pretty sure it's business professional minus the suit - so you can top it on at a minute's notice for whatever meeting/ interview/ thing that may arise. The hiring lady at a DA's office told me that as prosecutors, we're suppose to look "professional" at all times.

I guess also that since you will be in court most days, there really isn't any time to change into business casual. Once you get back into the office from court, take off the suit unless you're cold or something.

It this accurate guys?

From personal experience, kings makes you suit up everyday. If you can be seen by the public (e.g. someone else's complaining witness walking by), you better be in a full suit. There was a pretty aggressive officewide memo about it last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:

It this accurate guys?

when i Interned in a dany trial bureau, it was pretty much wear whatever you want so long as you're not in court or meeting witnesses. everyone had suits in their office though and could change pretty quickly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It this accurate guys?

when i Interned in a dany trial bureau, it was pretty much wear whatever you want so long as you're not in court or meeting witnesses. everyone had suits in their office though and could change pretty quickly.

This is dependent on the trial bureau - some have higher dress standards than others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:44 pm

I got my offer from DANY in January. And when I spoke to legal hiring they said they planned to bring in a class of 50-60 ADAs, but that includes a handful of laterals if that's helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It this accurate guys?

From personal experience, kings makes you suit up everyday. If you can be seen by the public (e.g. someone else's complaining witness walking by), you better be in a full suit. There was a pretty aggressive officewide memo about it last year.

Are females allowed to wear business dresses at Kings? Or are actual suits required for female ADAs in addition to their male counterparts?

Also, besides dressing up requirements, could you talk a bit about the culture at Kings?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:57 pm

Bronx requires suits for men, however it is ok to ditch the jacket unless you're going to court. Women can pretty much wear whatever they want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:36 pm

Can anyone speak about the benefits package, specifically vacation time, in the Bronx or anywhere else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:14 am

Resources

I found this book EXTREMELY insightful -- easy read with snippets of advice -- it should seriously be mandatory for all new ADAs:
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Story-Wins-A ... story+wins

Also here's a few great blog posts of a NYC ADA (Bronx DA):
http://prosecutorsdiscretion.blogspot.c ... lcome.html
(use the side labels to search for a blog post of interest)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It this accurate guys?

Are females allowed to wear business dresses at Kings? Or are actual suits required for female ADAs in addition to their male counterparts?

Also, besides dressing up requirements, could you talk a bit about the culture at Kings?

Sorry, been 3Loling it this week.

Disclosure, I'm a guy.

In general there's a distinction between going to criminal court cor misdemeanor s (hoyt & s), and going to supreme for felonies (jay st).

Women always had jackets and planned their outfits around the idea they'll have jackets/blazers on. Not full suits but I imagine more business casual.

There was actually a difference of formality whether you'd go to supreme or criminal. I feel for the ladies because for guys it's always suit up. Ive seen times where a woman couldn't go to supreme (to 2nd seat) because she was too "casual".

The culture of the office is amazing, ECAB sucks, but nothing can fix that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Anyone else ready to start work?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else ready to start work?

Fall class still needs to take the NY bar. But hey, at least it's the UBE now.

stealthgunner

Postby stealthgunner » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:14 pm

Just got the nod for a 4th Round Interview...Any advice? What should I expect. I want this so bad I'm literally drooling at the mouth. :shock:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:18 pm

stealthgunner wrote:Just got the nod for a 4th Round Interview...Any advice? What should I expect. I want this so bad I'm literally drooling at the mouth. :shock:

What to expect specifically depends on the office. But, from my experience the 4th round is usually a short, informal discussion with the head DA.

stealthgunner

Postby stealthgunner » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
stealthgunner wrote:Just got the nod for a 4th Round Interview...Any advice? What should I expect. I want this so bad I'm literally drooling at the mouth. :shock:

What to expect specifically depends on the office. But, from my experience the 4th round is usually a short, informal discussion with the head DA.

It's with Manhattan (New York County).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:47 pm

stealthgunner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's with Manhattan (New York County).

4th is offer. just be normal. quick chit-chat w/ Cy, then go do paperwork.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:58 pm

Grats, it's yours to lose, but I've heard it's not 100%
More like 95% due to people being idiots somehow with Vance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:00 am

Grats, it's yours to lose, but recruitment told me that it's not 100%, but rather ~90%. This is due to either people rejecting the offer (for other DAs, DOJ, etc.), or being rejected by Vance as not seeing them to be a "good fit", despite recruitment's recommendations.

Return to “Legal Employment”