District Attorney Offices 2016

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:53 am

stealthgunner wrote:I just had my third round interview and asked Mrs. Edwards how many people they expected to hire. The Manhattan DA will have a class of over 60. They plan to hire a little more than half of those interviewed during the third round. I'm hopeful, but not counting my chickens before they hatch.

Stats: T50, Top 1/2 (hoping for top 1/3 by graduation), interned in federal district court, USAO SDTX, Time Inc., plaintiff's firm, USNA undergrad, military.

They seemed to like me, but again, I'm nervous because I want this so bad.

Those are impressive stats, good luck!

Curious as to what other offices did you apply for? All the NYC? DoJ honors? JAG?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:02 pm

Has anyone ever had two panel interviews (as in the process is suppose to only be one but the office calls you several weeks after your panel and says they want to do it again before deciding if you move on to the next round)? If so, how did it go, was it aggressive like the first, lots of hypos, or more a personality fit...?

reasonableperson

Postby reasonableperson » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:29 pm

Bronx ADAs -
I received the phone call to verify my address and email, but have yet to receive anything.
Same with everyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:51 pm

reasonableperson wrote:Bronx ADAs -
I received the phone call to verify my address and email, but have yet to receive anything.
Same with everyone else?

Same, about 2-3 weeks ago.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:02 pm

Accepted a job in a DA's office in my home market (midwest). Small office, never had interned there. Went to school out of state/out of market. But DA's office was the ultimate goal. Interned at my local office since 1L summer, did mock trial, etc. Just wanted to chime in. Feel free to ask any questions/PM me. I know that not everyone wanting to end up at a DA's office wants to be in the big DANY/Miami/Chicago etc offices.

Good luck to everyone!

stealthgunner

Postby stealthgunner » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
stealthgunner wrote:I just had my third round interview and asked Mrs. Edwards how many people they expected to hire. The Manhattan DA will have a class of over 60. They plan to hire a little more than half of those interviewed during the third round. I'm hopeful, but not counting my chickens before they hatch.

Stats: T50, Top 1/2 (hoping for top 1/3 by graduation), interned in federal district court, USAO SDTX, Time Inc., plaintiff's firm, USNA undergrad, military.

They seemed to like me, but again, I'm nervous because I want this so bad.

Those are impressive stats, good luck!

Curious as to what other offices did you apply for? All the NYC? DoJ honors? JAG?

I applied for Navy JAG. Results come out in May. I applied for all DOJ and SLIP - silence. I applied to Bronx & Brooklyn DA. Went to second round on both. I think they disliked my love of Law and Order and the fact that I did not understand the importance of the victim in some situations. I do now.

stealthgunner

Postby stealthgunner » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:to all the DANY people in here..where do you guys plan on living?

I (if i get the job) want to live in Manhattan. It's weird to not live in the city amongst those you represent. I also have two small dogs, and would love to have a roommate or two.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:53 am

stealthgunner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:to all the DANY people in here..where do you guys plan on living?

I (if i get the job) want to live in Manhattan. It's weird to not live in the city amongst those you represent. I also have two small dogs, and would love to have a roommate or two.

LoL, I'm not going to even be in the same Department as my office. It's not that weird at all to live in a different borough.

Have you even looked into housing prices yet? It's also going to be tough for you with the 2 dogs.

reasonableperson

Postby reasonableperson » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
stealthgunner wrote:

LoL, I'm not going to even be in the same Department as my office. It's not that weird at all to live in a different borough.

Have you even looked into housing prices yet? It's also going to be tough for you with the 2 dogs.

Not weird at all, and is reflected by the only requirement which is to live in NYS.
This is very similar to our NYPD, who although are assigned to a specific precinct, often live in another borough closeby.

Many at Manhattan DA choose to live in Upper Brooklyn.
Many at Brooklyn DA choose to live in Lower Manhattan.
Some at Queens DA choose to live in Brooklyn.
Many at Bronx DA choose to live in Upper Manhattan, with a very short commute across the bridge.
(For those with cars, we have also our own parking lot at the office with a super discounted rate).

As for myself, I'm moving into an apartment complex in Upper Manhattan with two friends who work in Midtown.
Last edited by reasonableperson on Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fauxpsych

Postby fauxpsych » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Same with everyone else?

Just got an email saying they mailing it out monday.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:10 pm

reasonableperson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
stealthgunner wrote:

Not weird at all, and is reflected by the only requirement which is to live in NYC.
This is very similar to our NYPD, who although are assigned to a specific precinct, often live in another borough closeby.

Many at Bronx DA choose to live in Upper Manhattan, with a very short commute across the bridge.
(For those with cars, we have also our own parking lot at the office with a super discounted rate).

As for myself, I'm moving into an apartment complex in Upper Manhattan with two friends who work in Midtown.

FYI, the requirement is, for the most part, waived. I work at Queens DA, but live in Suffolk County (ouch, but its nice having a house).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:27 pm

encore1101 wrote:
reasonableperson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
stealthgunner wrote:

Not weird at all, and is reflected by the only requirement which is to live in NYC.

FYI, the requirement is, for the most part, waived. I work at Queens DA, but live in Suffolk County (ouch, but its nice having a house).

yeah, bronx's requirement is ny state, not city.

reasonableperson

Postby reasonableperson » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:23 pm

fauxpsych wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Same with everyone else?

Just got an email saying they mailing it out monday.

Same. Good to know.
Also thanks to those correcting me on the residency requirements.
Wish we could live in Jersey though, as living in JC or FN would be nice, especially for the Manhattan and Brooklyn folks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:52 am

reasonableperson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
stealthgunner wrote:

Not weird at all, and is reflected by the only requirement which is to live in NYS.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the parking lot next to the main building near the movie theater and Food Bazaar. That lot isn't discounted that much ($165/month) and is very much a public lot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
reasonableperson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
stealthgunner wrote:

I'm assuming that you're talking about the parking lot next to the main building near the movie theater and Food Bazaar. That lot isn't discounted that much ($165/month) and is very much a public lot.

Yeah, it's a public lot and not exclusively for the DA's office, although it's amazingly convenient.
Pretty much adjacent to Bronx DA, whereas Bronx Defenders have to walk a ways.
Those who work at the DA's office can get a good discount, but the regularly monthly is pretty reasonable at ~$220.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
reasonableperson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
stealthgunner wrote:

Somewhat off-topic but since you seem to know the area, how's the gym right there. Blink fitness? The gyms by me suck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:47 pm

any chance i get an offer pulled bc of grades

reasonableperson

Postby reasonableperson » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any chance i get an offer pulled bc of grades

I sincerely doubt it, but perhaps others can weigh in.
Do the offices even require a final transcript?
I'm anticipating dropping like 0.05 due to slacking and relaxing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:41 pm

reasonableperson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any chance i get an offer pulled bc of grades

I sincerely doubt it, but perhaps others can weigh in.
Do the offices even require a final transcript?
I'm anticipating dropping like 0.05 due to slacking and relaxing.

Yeah, if it's not in your offer letter I wouldn't worry about it.

This "background check" TERRIFIES me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:02 pm

Do all of the NY offices have a FB group?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:17 pm

have the DANY people received anything since you got the original letter saying you had an offer? Do you know if we get anything else leading up to our start date?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:33 pm

If I can search for an answer to my question, please yell at me.

I am doing a biglaw 2L summer and want to know whether applying for ADA jobs is foreclosed to me. Would love any tips if ya got em.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:34 pm

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:If I can search for an answer to my question, please yell at me.

I am doing a biglaw 2L summer and want to know whether applying for ADA jobs is foreclosed to me. Would love any tips if ya got em.

The "How to be a Prosecutor/PD gunner" thread probably has better info on this for you.

I didn't do big law any of my summers, so I can't speak from personal experience... But just know that it's probably not impossible, but without knowing more I can't say how difficult it will be, especially given how many people work in their DA offices all throughout school and struggle to get positions as ADAs. Another problem is that all but a few DA officers are unlikely to hire until you have bar results. HTH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:59 am

TED Talk regarding prosecutors just released:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1fvr9rGgSg

Return to “Legal Employment”