District Attorney Offices 2016

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sd5289

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby sd5289 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:20 pm

reasonableperson wrote:I asked Manhattan in January during my 3rd round.
They're looking to hire ~40.

DANY hired a very large class for the fall of 2015, and I've heard this upcoming class will be smaller. Somewhere in the 40-50 range. Believe they're trying to get back to normal hiring levels, but don't think they're doing a repeat of this last year's hiring cycle numbers.

BostonCeltics

Postby BostonCeltics » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BostonCeltics wrote:
reasonableperson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:An ADA told me over the summer that DANY was planning on hiring a large class - likely around 50. I'm not sure where they got that information or if that's something that would have changed over time.

From talking to ADAs about their hiring timelines, it seems like March offers are incredibly rare - but they do happen.

So DANY having a big class, BX with about 50~ as well and another poster ITT said BK was having a big class (though that one is unsubstantiated). Are all the NYC offices having big classes this year?

This is good for those looking for jobs of course. But aren't there plans for NYC budget cuts?

The proposed budget to the DAs will not be cut, but rather slightly increased. You can the chart here:
http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/home/i ... 0212230046

Wow nice find. For posters trying to view the chart without wanting to sign up, the gist of the article is that the DA offices are all getting slight budget increases and seeking additional increases.

Bronx: $58M this year, $59.6M next year, requesting additional $11.5M
Brooklyn: $93.4M this year, $94M next year, requesting additional $935k
Manhattan: $98.5M this year, $101.4M next year, requesting additional $600k
Queens: $55.9M this year, $57.3M next year, requesting additional $4.9M
Staten Island: $9.9M this year, $9.9M next year, requesting additional $3.6M

So it looks like every office except Staten Island (at least so far) is actually getting a budget increase. This could indeed bode well for those of us still searching for jobs.

As an aside, how does NYC PD funding work? I wish my classmates going PD side had the openings/salary I have entering now.

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that funding works the same way in that the various agencies receive money from the NYC gov't.

But aren't the salaries in NYC somewhat similar between PDs/ADAs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:06 am

BostonCeltics wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BostonCeltics wrote:
reasonableperson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:An ADA told me over the summer that DANY was planning on hiring a large class - likely around 50. I'm not sure where they got that information or if that's something that would have changed over time.

From talking to ADAs about their hiring timelines, it seems like March offers are incredibly rare - but they do happen.

So DANY having a big class, BX with about 50~ as well and another poster ITT said BK was having a big class (though that one is unsubstantiated). Are all the NYC offices having big classes this year?

This is good for those looking for jobs of course. But aren't there plans for NYC budget cuts?

The proposed budget to the DAs will not be cut, but rather slightly increased. You can the chart here:
http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/home/i ... 0212230046

Wow nice find. For posters trying to view the chart without wanting to sign up, the gist of the article is that the DA offices are all getting slight budget increases and seeking additional increases.

Bronx: $58M this year, $59.6M next year, requesting additional $11.5M
Brooklyn: $93.4M this year, $94M next year, requesting additional $935k
Manhattan: $98.5M this year, $101.4M next year, requesting additional $600k
Queens: $55.9M this year, $57.3M next year, requesting additional $4.9M
Staten Island: $9.9M this year, $9.9M next year, requesting additional $3.6M

So it looks like every office except Staten Island (at least so far) is actually getting a budget increase. This could indeed bode well for those of us still searching for jobs.

As an aside, how does NYC PD funding work? I wish my classmates going PD side had the openings/salary I have entering now.

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that funding works the same way in that the various agencies receive money from the NYC gov't.

But aren't the salaries in NYC somewhat similar between PDs/ADAs?

Well the salary for Legal Aid Society/Crimianl Practice is about 5k lower, plus I think they have a much smaller hiring class (think 20 for NYC). Even with both BDSes to apply to, it's a much tighter market for the PD side than for ADA gigs, and I feel that a lot is the result of inadequate funding.

As an aside, I got a call from Bronx this week confirming my mailing address so HR packets are likely to be sent out soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:01 pm

Just got an email (??) about getting the third round at Queens. Any tips for the executive interview/opening statement? Do they actually contact your past employers or just the references? Also I've heard some rumors about them asking your neighbors about you? Is that real?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:01 pm

[Extra post delete]

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got an email (??) about getting the third round at Queens. Any tips for the executive interview/opening statement? Do they actually contact your past employers or just the references? Also I've heard some rumors about them asking your neighbors about you? Is that real?

1. Be confident. Don't mind the camera.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got an email (??) about getting the third round at Queens. Any tips for the executive interview/opening statement? Do they actually contact your past employers or just the references? Also I've heard some rumors about them asking your neighbors about you? Is that real?

Practice with your professors/moot coaches. My interviewers 2nd round went out of their way to tell me this since I had no mock trial experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:00 pm

encore1101 wrote:

2. Yes.
3. Yes.

Look at the camera or look at them?? Lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:59 pm

Recently had a 4th round at Brooklyn and received an offer from DA Thompson. I plan to accept.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
encore1101 wrote:

2. Yes.
3. Yes.

I had two interviewers at mine, so I'd alternate between looking at each of them and looking at the camera. I don't know who, if anybody, they show the video to (I'm assuming the DA and/or CADA), so you'd want to show you can make a good presentation. Yes, its awkward, but its totally doable.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:01 pm

encore1101 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
encore1101 wrote:

2. Yes.
3. Yes.

I had two interviewers at mine, so I'd alternate between looking at each of them and looking at the camera. I don't know who, if anybody, they show the video to (I'm assuming the DA and/or CADA), so you'd want to show you can make a good presentation. Yes, its awkward, but its totally doable.

I also had two. I looked at them.

Treat it like a trial ad summation. Adapt to the room and try to bring your audience in by making eye contact with them.

BostonCeltics

Postby BostonCeltics » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:13 am

This is quite random, but does anybody know whether the NYC offices have anything akin to inter-office sports leagues? Like basketball or softball leagues? I know some firms do this, and that would be very fun.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:27 am

BostonCeltics wrote:This is quite random, but does anybody know whether the NYC offices have anything akin to inter-office sports leagues? Like basketball or softball leagues? I know some firms do this, and that would be very fun.

Ive seen softball between trial divisions of the same office, but unsure about between offices. I also recall league schedules posted within the courthouses, but I think that's a court officer/clerk league.

BostonCeltics

Postby BostonCeltics » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BostonCeltics wrote:This is quite random, but does anybody know whether the NYC offices have anything akin to inter-office sports leagues? Like basketball or softball leagues? I know some firms do this, and that would be very fun.

Ive seen softball between trial divisions of the same office, but unsure about between offices. I also recall league schedules posted within the courthouses, but I think that's a court officer/clerk league.

Sweet, this is exactly what I was talking about. Any idea which offices/courthouses do these? That might factor into my decision making :wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:53 am

BostonCeltics wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sweet, this is exactly what I was talking about. Any idea which offices/courthouses do these? That might factor into my decision making :wink:

Kings, but remember that's a huge office, they may be better suited for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:55 pm

To posters who have accepted Brooklyn offers...how long after accepting did it take to receive a formal offer letter in the mail and/or hear from HR?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:25 pm

to all the DANY people in here..where do you guys plan on living?

CD22190

Postby CD22190 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:any news on Nassau? offers?

Myself and two others in my year have received and accepted Nassau offers back in January. It's going to be a small class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:07 am

CD22190 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any news on Nassau? offers?

Myself and two others in my year have received and accepted Nassau offers back in January. It's going to be a small class.

Did they tell you it is going to be a small class...how do you know this information?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:46 pm

DANY has an intra-office softball league.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:59 pm

Has anyone received a rejection from Kings yet?

I've honestly haven't heard anything from that office since my panel round in September, even when updating on offers.

Even Queens was more responsive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received a rejection from Kings yet?

I've honestly haven't heard anything from that office since my panel round in September, even when updating on offers.

Kings is very slow it seems. But I had good experience contacting WMJ for updates to leverage an offer.

I might recommended hitting them up to express your continued interest and ask where your application stands. Worked for me, and at least two others I know of personally.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Kings is very slow it seems. But I had good experience contacting WMJ for updates to leverage an offer.

I might recommended hitting them up to express your continued interest and ask where your application stands. Worked for me, and at least two others I know of personally.

I updated WMJ, BAH, and YJB multiple times (email and voicemail) and eventually took the one of the other offers without the courtesy of a response from anyone at Kings.

I only bring it up because my friend surprisingly (to me) struck out at all the other offices and is pretty much waiting for KCDA to get back to him. I was just curious if they had dinged anyone at all yet. Just hoping that he has a chance at one of the NYC offices and doesn't have to beg for a late stage NJ clerkship.

As an aside, anyone know if HR for these places reads this forum?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I updated WMJ, BAH, and YJB multiple times (email and voicemail) and eventually took the one of the other offers without the courtesy of a response from anyone at Kings.

I only bring it up because my friend surprisingly (to me) struck out at all the other offices and is pretty much waiting for KCDA to get back to him. I was just curious if they had dinged anyone at all yet. Just hoping that he has a chance at one of the NYC offices and doesn't have to beg for a late stage NJ clerkship.

As an aside, anyone know if HR for these places reads this forum?

Same anon. I had pretty much the same problem with Kings. Very frustrating. But after bothering them enough it turned into an offer lol.

I know of one person who checked in with them after the panel and was then rejected.

stealthgunner

Postby stealthgunner » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:57 am

I just had my third round interview and asked Mrs. Edwards how many people they expected to hire. The Manhattan DA will have a class of over 60. They plan to hire a little more than half of those interviewed during the third round. I'm hopeful, but not counting my chickens before they hatch.

Stats: T50, Top 1/2 (hoping for top 1/3 by graduation), interned in federal district court, USAO SDTX, Time Inc., plaintiff's firm, USNA undergrad, military.

They seemed to like me, but again, I'm nervous because I want this so bad.

Return to “Legal Employment”