District Attorney Offices 2016 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:56 pm

Any general tips for the executive interview with Brooklyn?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:41 pm

My anecdote wasn't Queens, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of F.C. He was a ball-buster for sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:00 pm

If my roommate got a rejection letter from Queens, but interviewed after me, and I did not receive a rejection letter, do you think that there's a chance I've made it to the third round? Or are they just waiting to reject me later? I'm so impatient. :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If my roommate got a rejection letter from Queens, but interviewed after me, and I did not receive a rejection letter, do you think that there's a chance I've made it to the third round? Or are they just waiting to reject me later? I'm so impatient. :(
As someone who has scoured all of these DA threads from years past, the common wisdom is no news is good news.

It sucks having radio silence, but it's really out of your hands. How about the other offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:59 pm

Does anybody have any advice for the Brooklyn 3rd round? I know it's with an executive of KCDA but that's about it. Should I expect a confrontational tone, or is it more straightforward standard interview style?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:39 am

Is DANY done with recruitment? Have they made all of their offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:13 am

Does anybody know how first years are assigned to various bureaus in Brooklyn? What about DANY?

Do these offices let you choose or list your preferences? Or just place you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody know how first years are assigned to various bureaus in Brooklyn? What about DANY?

I interned in a specialized trial bureau at kings for a full year and what I was told is that they place everyone in an ECAB & Arraignments cycle until the next class comes up to replace you.

At that time, you do trial simulation and trainings where you are ranked. You can list your preferences but the vast majority go to the various, colored (grey, green, red, blue, etc.) trial zones for misdemeanors and then later on transfer (i.e. trial zone to sex crimes to civil rights).

This is for trial bureaus, no idea how they do Appeals, Investigation, or Executive Bureaus.

I was there at the Thompson transition period so it could be that they are still adjusting how they handle assignments.

As for DANY, I have zero experience with them. Looking at this thread it seems that Bronx separates out the Appeals hires at the offer stage.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody know how first years are assigned to various bureaus in Brooklyn? What about DANY?

I interned in a specialized trial bureau at kings for a full year and what I was told is that they place everyone in an ECAB & Arraignments cycle until the next class comes up to replace you.

At that time, you do trial simulation and trainings where you are ranked. You can list your preferences but the vast majority go to the various, colored (grey, green, red, blue, etc.) trial zones for misdemeanors and then later on transfer (i.e. trial zone to sex crimes to civil rights).

This is for trial bureaus, no idea how they do Appeals, Investigation, or Executive Bureaus.

I was there at the Thompson transition period so it could be that they are still adjusting how they handle assignments.

As for DANY, I have zero experience with them. Looking at this thread it seems that Bronx separates out the Appeals hires at the offer stage.
The vast majority of the DANY rookie class is assigned to a trial bureau. There are 6 trial bureaus. You handle misdemeanors/violations during your 1st year, and depending on the trial bureau, these run the gamut from turnstile jumps (how these are A MISD's is beyond me), assaults, DWI's, forcible touching, drugs, etc. Those who are not assigned to the trial bureaus will end up in the appeals bureau, and a few people (I think mainly laterals) go into the specialized bureaus.

Most of your time is taken up by "institutional" assignments (ECAB, arraignments, staffing court parts), but you will have a case load, will be making offers and answering ready for trial, etc. Due to the nature of criminal court, just getting both sides ready for trial and into an open trial part is a ridiculously long and frustrating experience...even if you answer ready every single time. Some people get trials in their 1st year, and some do not. It's a bit of a luck of the draw.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:41 pm

How long did it take posters here to hear back from Booklyn after a 3rd round to schedule a 4th?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long did it take posters here to hear back from Booklyn after a 3rd round to schedule a 4th?
Same question (re: how long did it take to hear back), but for Nassau in between 2nd and 3rd round? Also does anyone know how big Nassau's class is going to be?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:14 pm

Does a final round interview with DANY (with DA Vance) usually mean you are getting an offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does a final round interview with DANY (with DA Vance) usually mean you are getting an offer?
Yes. DANY and Brooklyn offer at the last round. Judging from this years thread, last years thread, and anecdotal evidence.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:08 pm

How many rounds does DANY have? What happens after the 1 on 1 interview at the office?

powerpuff

New

Post by powerpuff » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:19 pm

Last edited by powerpuff on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:38 pm

powerpuff wrote:I know this is a post-grad forum and I'm sorry to deviate the discussions off course, but does your school choice matter in your employment prospects? Or does it come down to grades and experience more so than school ranking? THANK YOU!

From my knowledge, the prestige of the school choice matters very little. Even grades aren't as important. I've heard DANY might be an exception, but cannot confirm.

School choice can matter, however, in the sense that you go to a school that has a history of sending graduates to that office, has adjunct professors from that office (or former ADAs), and/or has clinics with a particular office. Out of my class (~20 people), only 2 came from a T14. The rest of us went to regional NYC schools.

edit: I see you're speaking about the LA region specifically. I don't know if this information is applicable in that office.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:05 am

powerpuff wrote:I know this is a post-grad forum and I'm sorry to deviate the discussions off course, but does your school choice matter in your employment prospects? Or does it come down to grades and experience more so than school ranking? THANK YOU!
0Ls are not allowed to ask questions here. You've already raised this concern in a lot of other parts of this forum - people who have input are going to see it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BostonCeltics

New

Post by BostonCeltics » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:56 am

Any movement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:01 pm

BostonCeltics wrote:Any movement?
Not on my end, but I did just have my second round, less than a week ago, so I'm still trying to figure out how timing between the rounds works and how that plays into how late it is in the process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:How many rounds does DANY have? What happens after the 1 on 1 interview at the office?
I am wondering this too

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many rounds does DANY have? What happens after the 1 on 1 interview at the office?
I am wondering this too
The 2nd round is a panel of 3. Expect it to be more intense than the 1st round 1 on 1 interview. There will likely be hypos, and they'll press you more on why DANY and if you're not from NY, why NY.

The 3rd round is the executive panel. This is generally the hardest round. It will likely be more intense than rounds 1 and 2, and will again consist of hypos and questioning why DANY and why NY. There will probably be more emphasis on the hypos, and expect to get cornered.

The 4th round is with the DA. Offer is given in that round almost every time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:50 am

Update on offers anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:06 pm

Had my third round at Nassau DA a month ago .. anyone hear of any offers? I called to follow up and was told letters were going out updating status but no news yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:34 am

Has anyone started to get packets from the NYC offices? I remember Bronx telling me there was going to be an email sent in February but received nothing.

Also, I think Bronx updated their website? Is this us? I thought the site used to say that more than 1000 apply, 460 seems low.

"Assistant District Attorneys begin employment during the subsequent year and are considered part of a recruitment "Class." Those who were recruited and offered positions in 2015 are considered part of the Class of 2016, reflecting the year during which their employment begins.

In 2015, 460 applicants had first-round interviews, 283 had second (panel) interviews, and 111 were interviewed by the District Attorney. The DA appointed 54 of the original applicants as Assistant District Attorneys for the Class of 2016."

http://bronxda.nyc.gov/html/careers/career.shtmltop

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone started to get packets from the NYC offices? I remember Bronx telling me there was going to be an email sent in February but received nothing.

Also, I think Bronx updated their website? Is this us? I thought the site used to say that more than 1000 apply, 460 seems low.

"Assistant District Attorneys begin employment during the subsequent year and are considered part of a recruitment "Class." Those who were recruited and offered positions in 2015 are considered part of the Class of 2016, reflecting the year during which their employment begins.

In 2015, 460 applicants had first-round interviews, 283 had second (panel) interviews, and 111 were interviewed by the District Attorney. The DA appointed 54 of the original applicants as Assistant District Attorneys for the Class of 2016."

http://bronxda.nyc.gov/html/careers/career.shtmltop
They told me that I should receive information about the office sometime in late March.
And that is us. You missed the previous paragraph where it states that 1,000+ 3Ls did apply.
Less than half (460) received first-round interviews. Typical competitive cycle.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”