District Attorney Offices 2016

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BrestLawyersNY

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby BrestLawyersNY » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which office has the most attractive females? I've heard it's Manhattan DA. Nothing like a strong female in a skirt suit\pant suit

I don't mean to brag, but I can guarantee you I will turn many heads at the Manhattan office. Are there any fellow jet fans in the office I just bought my new Eric Decker jersey and it looks super cute

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:21 pm

BrestLawyersNY wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Which office has the most attractive females? I've heard it's Manhattan DA. Nothing like a strong female in a skirt suit\pant suit

I don't mean to brag, but I can guarantee you I will turn many heads at the Manhattan office. Are there any fellow jet fans in the office I just bought my new Eric Decker jersey and it looks super cute

edit: this whole line of discussion is dumb

BrestLawyersNY

Postby BrestLawyersNY » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:05 pm

encore1101 wrote:
BrestLawyersNY wrote:

edit: this whole line of discussion is dumb

Someone is insecure... I don't know why I can't be an extremely beautiful woman AND a brilliant lawyer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cdemps3 wrote:Hey all,

How transferable is DA internship experience to other offices? For example, if you take a 2L internship at a major city DA office, but for some reason you do not wish to live/work in the city, do you have any kind of a leg up for other offices in other parts of the country when it comes to hiring after 3L year?

I think it is pretty beneficial. I've had interviews where ask specifically if you think you can handle the craziness of their office. Having experience in another big office does nothing but help assure them that you are cut out for the job. At the very least it shows that you want to be in a big city and you aren't just applying to offices because they hire before taking the bar.

I was aiming for New York, and my most significant substantive experience was in a different city office. I think the experience itself absolutely helped and the fact that it was in another city was completely irrelevant. If anything, I think the different jurisdiction actually helped. The ADAs were very interested in asking me about the laws in the other state, and I got to show off that I understood the issues and could talk comprehensively about them.

I do have strong ties to the New York area. It might raise some eyebrows if all of your experience is one city and you're applying to another city you don't have any ties to - but I can't imagine they'd ever prefer no experience to experience in a different city.

cdemps3

Postby cdemps3 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
cdemps3 wrote:Hey all,

How transferable is DA internship experience to other offices? For example, if you take a 2L internship at a major city DA office, but for some reason you do not wish to live/work in the city, do you have any kind of a leg up for other offices in other parts of the country when it comes to hiring after 3L year?

I think it is pretty beneficial. I've had interviews where ask specifically if you think you can handle the craziness of their office. Having experience in another big office does nothing but help assure them that you are cut out for the job. At the very least it shows that you want to be in a big city and you aren't just applying to offices because they hire before taking the bar.

I was aiming for New York, and my most significant substantive experience was in a different city office. I think the experience itself absolutely helped and the fact that it was in another city was completely irrelevant. If anything, I think the different jurisdiction actually helped. The ADAs were very interested in asking me about the laws in the other state, and I got to show off that I understood the issues and could talk comprehensively about them.

I do have strong ties to the New York area. It might raise some eyebrows if all of your experience is one city and you're applying to another city you don't have any ties to - but I can't imagine they'd ever prefer no experience to experience in a different city.

That's great, thank you. It helps reduce my anxiety a little bit talking to people who have been there before.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:55 pm

How long did it take to get the letter in mail after accepting Manhattan?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:29 pm

How long did take to hear back from Manhattan after third round if you did NOT have a competing offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:12 pm

Anybody know how many people Manhattan hiring this year?

reasonableperson

Postby reasonableperson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody know how many people Manhattan hiring this year?

Was told about 40-50.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:07 am

I have tried searching and am coming up a little empty handed.

Can anyone elaborate on what to expect in the third round executive interview in Brooklyn? Just more of the same from the panel but in a one-on-one setting? I saw at least one post that the grilling may be a little more intense. Any insights are appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:04 pm

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on how Nassua DA interviews are, have a first round coming up (yes I understand it's late in the cycle but I applied late).

Any advice, or links to previous discussions, which I can't seem to find, would be appreciated. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have tried searching and am coming up a little empty handed.

Can anyone elaborate on what to expect in the third round executive interview in Brooklyn? Just more of the same from the panel but in a one-on-one setting? I saw at least one post that the grilling may be a little more intense. Any insights are appreciated.

Usually with one executive. Pretty straightforward interview. I was asked about my experience, resume, and some short hypos and what would you do questions. They are interested in ties to BK, so if you have a story of why you want to work their, great, if not, make one but it can't be BS because they catch on to it and it shouldn't be the same reason why everyone else wants to work there either.

Advice: be clear, succinct, show your personality and think through the problems. You may occasionally get grilled about something, but I found that to mean she was interested in what i was saying and not she was not satisfied with the answer (but you can never be sure). Keep cool, smile, answer the questions and communicate clearly and you will be in good shape. :D

Also keep in mind, this entirely depends on who you meet with, so other people and yourself may have/had entirely different experiences. I would say that my advice as well as the interest to BK is pretty standard though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:59 am

Anyone that's already had their 4th round with Brooklyn mind talking about how it went or what kind of questions were asked?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:27 pm

Does anyone know if there is any room for salary negotiations with these offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if there is any room for salary negotiations with these offices?

For NYC coming out of law school? I imagine zero as there is a line of people who would take a prebar job at the default salary.

I actually had to sign something in my Bronx screener acknowledging what the salary would be, assuming I made it through all the rounds.

DANY pegs it on your <EDIT> Law School </EDIT> class year.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATL

Postby ATL » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if there is any room for salary negotiations with these offices?

For NYC coming out of law school? I imagine zero as there is a line of people who would take a prebar job at the default salary.

I actually had to sign something in my Bronx screener acknowledging what the salary would be, assuming I made it through all the rounds.

DANY pegs it on your class year.

Agreed. I though of trying but than realized how lucky I am to have even received an offer and decided against it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:32 pm

ATL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Agreed. I though of trying but than realized how lucky I am to have even received an offer and decided against it.

DO NOT attempt to negotiate salary unless you're a lateral.
I had a friend try to do this with a NYC office and they got pissed at him, and told him to take his law firm job.
He quickly apologized and accepted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

DANY pegs it to some extent on how long you've been practicing. Someone who comes in after practicing at a firm for say, 3 years will make more than someone who came straight through even though they're in the same class year.

I didn't think to ask if the person coming from the firm would made the same amount as someone who had been working at DANY for 3 years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

DANY pegs it to some extent on how long you've been practicing. Someone who comes in after practicing at a firm for say, 3 years will make more than someone who came straight through even though they're in the same class year.

I didn't think to ask if the person coming from the firm would made the same amount as someone who had been working at DANY for 3 years.

I wasn't clear. DANY pegs it on your Law School class year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I wasn't clear. DANY pegs it on your Law School class year.

For future reference - DANY refers to the year you start there as your class year and that's a big part of the culture there (especially among younger ADAs).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi everyone. Just called recruiting in Bronx recently. There will be no more offers extended in the near future; hiring is put on hold for an indefinite period.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:49 pm

Got a call scheduling a second round with Queens today. First round was early September. Helene is the sweetest!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:59 pm

Any offers for the March hiring class at Miami SAO yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:36 pm

If you're getting rejected after the third round, do most offices call you and let you know, or just send you a letter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you're getting rejected after the third round, do most offices call you and let you know, or just send you a letter?

Based on past years blogs, the offices typically call only if your getting an offer and snail mail the rejections. I haven't come a crossed an individual, or story, in which someone was called and not given and offer. - hope this helps.

Does anyone mind sharing, or at least providing suggestions, on Nassau's "non-research" writing sample? I'm a little confused by what they're asking for - i.e. Am I suppose to pick a current event topic and just write about it or pick any topic so long as it relates to criminal law?

Return to “Legal Employment”