District Attorney Offices 2016

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sd5289

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby sd5289 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:44 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks.

I'm assuming that it's a little less competitive where I am. I've heard VERY few go the DA route from my school, so I'd be a bit of a novelty candidate.

Would you recommend trying to intern there in the Spring, instead of the USAO? What should I be doing to increase my chances? I think I'll be good in the interview room and give a fairly compelling story as to why I want to be there.

I guess I just want to go in with some confidence that I'll get an offer.

Not going to be as nice as Nony. Nobody gives a shit where you went to school. As you point out, most of the ADAs did not go to a school like yours, so if anything you're going to have to overcome the strong presumption that you're a turd. Your application to the USAO won't help you- it's going to feed the presumption that you're not really interested in state level work.

Best thing you can do is network your ass off. If your goal is to work at the DA's office and not the USAO ABSOLUTELY intern there in the spring. The more you can show them that not only are you smart, but you're also someone whose easy to work with and actually wants to be an ADA, the better the interview process will go for you.

Um, this is a little off. Interning at the DA's office s/he wants to apply to is obviously credited, but doing an internship at the USAO isn't going to work against you. On the contrary, it demonstrates a commitment to prosecution and public service work. If this person can combine an internship at the DA's office and a USAO internship, even better. Many of the ADA's I know interned at a USAO during law school as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:21 pm

So what are the background checks for these offices like? Do they just rely on character and fitness or do they actually perform their own checks?
I've interned at a couple and only had to disclose convictions, not arrests, on applications. My preliminary interview applications so far have been the same.

I mean, I've disclosed everything to C & F and am comfortable talking about it in an interview as it is about 10 years ago. Was just wondering in which round it's going to come up and if anyone could share their experiences of whether it's an automatic ding.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So what are the background checks for these offices like? Do they just rely on character and fitness or do they actually perform their own checks?
I've interned at a couple and only had to disclose convictions, not arrests, on applications. My preliminary interview applications so far have been the same.

I mean, I've disclosed everything to C & F and am comfortable talking about it in an interview as it is about 10 years ago. Was just wondering in which round it's going to come up and if anyone could share their experiences of whether it's an automatic ding.

My DA office had their investigators speak with my neighbors about me. I'm sure they did more than just that, but mine definitely went beyond just relying on the C&F. I'd be surprised if they didn't look up my rap sheet, which is easily accessible to any law enforcement agency, and also would list your arrests and dispositions.

edit: you're speaking in somewhat vague terms, but generally, if something happened ten years ago, it wouldn't be an automatic ding unless it was a serious felony or something.

fauxpsych

Postby fauxpsych » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:28 pm

encore1101 wrote:My DA office had their investigators speak with my neighbors about me. I'm sure they did more than just that, but mine definitely went beyond just relying on the C&F. I'd be surprised if they didn't look up my rap sheet, which is easily accessible to any law enforcement agency, and also would list your arrests and dispositions.

edit: you're speaking in somewhat vague terms, but generally, if something happened ten years ago, it wouldn't be an automatic ding unless it was a serious felony or something.

Oh wow, what round? I imagine later, right?

Neighbors? Like even in an apartment building? I still list my parents address as permanent residence, LoL

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:33 pm

fauxpsych wrote:
encore1101 wrote:My DA office had their investigators speak with my neighbors about me. I'm sure they did more than just that, but mine definitely went beyond just relying on the C&F. I'd be surprised if they didn't look up my rap sheet, which is easily accessible to any law enforcement agency, and also would list your arrests and dispositions.

Oh wow, what round? I imagine later, right?

Neighbors? Like even in an apartment building? I still list my parents address as permanent residence, LoL

Yes, it was after the final round. My offer was contingent on passing their background check. I lived in an apartment during law school, so they asked the residents there about me. My neighbors didn't tell me what they asked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:29 pm

I'm disappointed that this thread isn't as lively as last year's.

Less competition this year? *casts a line*

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:18 pm

just playing the waiting game on the office I interned for, and applying to the rest soon. whats everyone's status?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:01 pm

2L here pursuing opportunities with Philadelphia DA's office. Can anyone speak to life in that office as a new ADA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do the various offices inform you that you've been advanced or rejected? (phone, e-mail, etc?) Primarily interested in NYC, but I imagine others would be interested in other areas if people know.

2016 ADA candidate - Heard about advancing via e-mail from DANY, phone calls from Queens and Brooklyn. Brooklyn called really late, around 7-8pm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:48 pm

Mine did the same thing. I also got a call over the summer from an investigator confirming my physical address so that he could visit and speak to my neighbors about me. My building's had a big turnover in the past year, so I let him know that I had a lot of new neighbors that I hadn't met yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:02 pm

2016 ADA candidate - Heard about advancing via e-mail from DANY, phone calls from Queens and Brooklyn. Brooklyn called really late, around 7-8pm.

which rounds are you at for these offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

which rounds are you at for these offices?

Second or higher - I'm a former intern at some of them, so I think I'm on a more accelerated timeline. I don't know how many other people are in that position, so I'm not going to be more specific, sorry!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:00 pm

Second or higher - I'm a former intern at some of them, so I think I'm on a more accelerated timeline. I don't know how many other people are in that position, so I'm not going to be more specific, sorry!

Can I pm you? same person as above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:42 am

Panel interview with Kings next week.

Any tips? How long is it? I know it's executive interview after, then DA Thompson.

Is this the interview which dings the most people?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:03 am

Sooo, does anyone know what to say at the Bronx interviews anymore? Now I have an idea of how people felt during the Hynes/Thompson interregnum.

mcastro25

Postby mcastro25 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:52 pm

did you have a second round interview in the bronx

swampman

Postby swampman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sooo, does anyone know what to say at the Bronx interviews anymore? Now I have an idea of how people felt during the Hynes/Thompson interregnum.

What's the issue? Looks like this will be a smooth transition from a dem to another dem with an uncontested election. No reason to think there will be a big shakeup in hiring policies or office culture.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:16 am

swampman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sooo, does anyone know what to say at the Bronx interviews anymore? Now I have an idea of how people felt during the Hynes/Thompson interregnum.

What's the issue? Looks like this will be a smooth transition from a dem to another dem with an uncontested election. No reason to think there will be a big shakeup in hiring policies or office culture.

Just because they are both Dem. does not guarantee a smooth transition. Different DA brings in different executive staff, which has ramifications all the way down.

I know an ADA in Bronx, and she has no idea how it's going to play out. She's thinking they may have to go through performance reviews and interviews again.

The whole situation actually came up at the end of my Kings panel interview (2nd round) with a heated discussion between the panel members if it would, in fact, be a smooth transition.

That being said, has anyone heard back about Kings 3rd Round or Queens/Bronx 2nd?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:11 pm

That being said, has anyone heard back about Kings 3rd Round or Queens/Bronx 2nd?

This. been waiting almost 2 months for kings 3rd round. somebody enlighten me

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Panel interview with Kings next week.

Any tips? How long is it? I know it's executive interview after, then DA Thompson.

Is this the interview which dings the most people?

Apologies if you've already had the interview (been pretty busy lately at work).

This panel went pretty smoothly for me. All 3 ADA's were very nice, and if I remember correctly it was background and resume information for the first half and then a hypo during the second half. I don't remember it being the most extended/difficult hypo I got through the 4 offices' hiring processes. I remember it being on the easier side of hypos. It wasn't terribly long. Maybe 30-40 minutes. The longest interview I had during my cycle was the 3rd round at Queens, which was over an hour.

I'm not sure about the ding ratio, but I do remember my executive round at Brooklyn had a much tougher hypo.

ETA: for those of you waiting months on getting a response back and you're in the earlier stages, don't be afraid to call in and politely ask where you are in the process. Either they'll be able to tell you something or they won't be able to. Especially with the Queens office as there is only one person who handles all that (she's extremely nice, but obviously having to field numerous questions and applications each year).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:12 pm

Ugh, had a brutal Kings Panel interview (took the full hour). I was warned before hand that their strategy is to challenge on everything to see how you can defend a point, but it got absurd, I don't think anyone has ever gotten so fired up over a discussion of the role of voir dire as we did that day.

They emailed me to read Brady and Giglio, but the hypo barely touched on it (a 5 minute fact pattern with 4th amendment and grand jury issues). Other people I know who interviewed said they got basic Brady hypos. My resume has A LOT of criminal law work, so I got the impression they wanted to test the limits of my knowledge and knock me down a peg (which they did).

As for the third round, they told me to sit tight and call if i don't hear anything at all for a couple of weeks. They said they do rolling hiring so there's no definite timeline of when the rounds proceed.

I'm also waiting on Queens and Bronx for 2nd round. Manhattan won't even give me a screener.

I'm tempted to apply to Nassau, but know very little about that office.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BK88

Postby BK88 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:26 pm

I'll drop in here -

First round at Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan and Queens - Nothing from Nassau County.

Finished Second at Brooklyn and scheduled second at Manhattan.

I found the second round at Brooklyn less then brutal - I paused before answering each question and went through my reasoning step by step and they were not especially combative. I anticipate being absolutely destroyed at Manhattan however.

BK88

Postby BK88 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:29 pm

Personally - I presented it like "I'm concerned about how this would impact office culture and hiring practices since everyone knows the Hynes / Thompson shakeup caused a huge stir" (obviously did not say this but this was the tone). Seemed to go over ok.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:25 pm

Has anyone had any interviews with Miami-Dade yet? I have one coming up in the next couple of weeks for the March hiring class and would like to know what to expect.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:25 pm

I'm scouring the 2015 thread to get an idea of timelines.
Has anyone's references been contacted yet?

Return to “Legal Employment”