District Attorney Offices 2016

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:44 am

3rd round in queens yesterday. 2 guys - filmed opening statement. Not bad, but the hypos they asked had involved very specific crim law knowledge (Difference between Assault 1, 2 and 3 in NY), what a Mapp hearing is as opposed to talking about search warrant suppression in general, ect. Kind of threw me when they point blank asked - "they ask for a map hearing, what would you argue?"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:02 pm

I know of two people who got Bronx offers within the past few days who just had their third rounds this week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3rd round in queens yesterday. 2 guys - filmed opening statement. Not bad, but the hypos they asked had involved very specific crim law knowledge (Difference between Assault 1, 2 and 3 in NY), what a Mapp hearing is as opposed to talking about search warrant suppression in general, ect. Kind of threw me when they point blank asked - "they ask for a map hearing, what would you argue?"


Holy crap. That hypo is intense. I honestly wouldn't read too much into it.

The only thing I can think of is maybe they are grooming you for appeals, or testing your credentials. Does your resume have a lot of NY specific crim stuff on it (i.e. working for a criminal court judge, or DA misdemeanor bureau)? Maybe your writing sample suggests you have an intimate knowledge of charging juries on assault?

For me, my writing sample dealt with a specific area of DUI law, and I got progressively challenged beyond that scope until they were satisfied that I could say that I am just guessing the law.

Ingle stops (wheelhouse) ->
mapp and plain view in cars (still bread and butter) ->
charging possession (starting to falter) ->
sentencing guidelines (literally citing a subway ad which referenced gun possession sentences in the mid 2000s)

It is stupid to expect a candidate to come in ECAB ready, but queens somehow has that focus in interviews, probably to trip people up.

Good luck though!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:53 pm

well this is nerve wracking as hell.

User avatar
eriedoctrine
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 1:00 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby eriedoctrine » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:30 am

Does anyone know the pay for Brooklyn DA?
I know it's lower than the other NYC boroughs, but by how much? Heard it was recently raised from 53k to 58k?
Manhattan is ~65k. Bronx is ~65k (63k + 1-3k bonus). Queens is ~60k. Cook County is ~60k. Philly is ~52k. Miami is ~40k (no state tax and lower CoL at least). Boston is ~40k (wtf unacceptable).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:38 am

eriedoctrine wrote:Does anyone know the pay for Brooklyn DA?
I know it's lower than the other NYC boroughs, but by how much? Heard it was recently raised from 53k to 58k?
Manhattan is ~65k. Bronx is ~65k (63k + 1-3k bonus). Queens is ~60k. Cook County is ~60k. Philly is ~52k. Miami is ~40k (no state tax and lower CoL at least). Boston is ~40k (wtf unacceptable).


Brooklyn told me it was 60k at my second round.

As of 2014, Boston was 37.5k - it's entirely expected that you'll moonlight as a bartender/waiter or something. Public defenders made 40k at the same time. I've heard that it's gone up slightly, but don't know the numbers. I've interned in New York and Boston and the lack of resources in Boston makes a huge, huge difference, which is only compounded by their court structure.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:03 am

I know someone who got an offer from DANY earlier this week. He had a competing offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:46 pm

eriedoctrine wrote:Does anyone know the pay for Brooklyn DA?
I know it's lower than the other NYC boroughs, but by how much? Heard it was recently raised from 53k to 58k?
Manhattan is ~65k. Bronx is ~65k (63k + 1-3k bonus). Queens is ~60k. Cook County is ~60k. Philly is ~52k. Miami is ~40k (no state tax and lower CoL at least). Boston is ~40k (wtf unacceptable).


FYI, Queens numbers match Bronx numbers. It's not reflected on the website but I'm in my second year at Queens.

User avatar
wolf
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby wolf » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:14 pm

eriedoctrine wrote:Does anyone know the pay for Brooklyn DA?
I know it's lower than the other NYC boroughs, but by how much? Heard it was recently raised from 53k to 58k?
Manhattan is ~65k. Bronx is ~65k (63k + 1-3k bonus). Queens is ~60k. Cook County is ~60k. Philly is ~52k. Miami is ~40k (no state tax and lower CoL at least). Boston is ~40k (wtf unacceptable).


WTF? How can anyone work for these wages? I just accepted an entry level ADA position in Texas and the starting pay is $74K. Plus, Texas has a lower COL and no state income tax. How can you survive on those wages? They must increase rapidly with experience.

User avatar
eriedoctrine
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 1:00 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby eriedoctrine » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:37 am

wolf wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote:Does anyone know the pay for Brooklyn DA?
I know it's lower than the other NYC boroughs, but by how much? Heard it was recently raised from 53k to 58k?
Manhattan is ~65k. Bronx is ~65k (63k + 1-3k bonus). Queens is ~60k. Cook County is ~60k. Philly is ~52k. Miami is ~40k (no state tax and lower CoL at least). Boston is ~40k (wtf unacceptable).


WTF? How can anyone work for these wages? I just accepted an entry level ADA position in Texas and the starting pay is $74K. Plus, Texas has a lower COL and no state income tax. How can you survive on those wages? They must increase rapidly with experience.


They do it because they can, unfortunately.
People pass up biglaw to become state prosecutors with the big city offices due to the loan benefits, training, reputation, and exit options.

Although the salary by no means advance rapidly, one can reach 6 figures after 10-15 years in most offices. (MIA and MA probably take 20+)
Last edited by eriedoctrine on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wolf
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby wolf » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:32 am

eriedoctrine wrote:
wolf wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote:Does anyone know the pay for Brooklyn DA?
I know it's lower than the other NYC boroughs, but by how much? Heard it was recently raised from 53k to 58k?
Manhattan is ~65k. Bronx is ~65k (63k + 1-3k bonus). Queens is ~60k. Cook County is ~60k. Philly is ~52k. Miami is ~40k (no state tax and lower CoL at least). Boston is ~40k (wtf unacceptable).


WTF? How can anyone work for these wages? I just accepted an entry level ADA position in Texas and the starting pay is $74K. Plus, Texas has a lower COL and no state income tax. How can you survive on those wages? They must increase rapidly with experience.


They do it because they can, unfortunately.
People pass up biglaw to become state prosecutors with the big city offices because the job itself is incredibly fulfilling, empowering, and exciting.due to the loan benefits, training, reputation, and exit options.

Although the salary by no means advance rapidly, one can reach 6 figures after 10-15 years in most offices. (MIA and MA probably take 20+)

I paased up on biglaw in Texas for the exact same reasons, so I understand all of that, but I am confused how you can live in NY on those wages. Yikes!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:23 am

wolf wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote:
wolf wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote:Does anyone know the pay for Brooklyn DA?
I know it's lower than the other NYC boroughs, but by how much? Heard it was recently raised from 53k to 58k?
Manhattan is ~65k. Bronx is ~65k (63k + 1-3k bonus). Queens is ~60k. Cook County is ~60k. Philly is ~52k. Miami is ~40k (no state tax and lower CoL at least). Boston is ~40k (wtf unacceptable).


WTF? How can anyone work for these wages? I just accepted an entry level ADA position in Texas and the starting pay is $74K. Plus, Texas has a lower COL and no state income tax. How can you survive on those wages? They must increase rapidly with experience.


They do it because they can, unfortunately.
People pass up biglaw to become state prosecutors with the big city offices because the job itself is incredibly fulfilling, empowering, and exciting.due to the loan benefits, training, reputation, and exit options.

Although the salary by no means advance rapidly, one can reach 6 figures after 10-15 years in most offices. (MIA and MA probably take 20+)

I paased up on biglaw in Texas for the exact same reasons, so I understand all of that, but I am confused how you can live in NY on those wages. Yikes!


Very carefully! It's doable.
My friend lived in Downtown Manhattan on 40k in the mailroom of some financial firm. :?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
wolf wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote:
wolf wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote:Does anyone know the pay for Brooklyn DA?
I know it's lower than the other NYC boroughs, but by how much? Heard it was recently raised from 53k to 58k?
Manhattan is ~65k. Bronx is ~65k (63k + 1-3k bonus). Queens is ~60k. Cook County is ~60k. Philly is ~52k. Miami is ~40k (no state tax and lower CoL at least). Boston is ~40k (wtf unacceptable).


WTF? How can anyone work for these wages? I just accepted an entry level ADA position in Texas and the starting pay is $74K. Plus, Texas has a lower COL and no state income tax. How can you survive on those wages? They must increase rapidly with experience.


They do it because they can, unfortunately.
People pass up biglaw to become state prosecutors with the big city offices because the job itself is incredibly fulfilling, empowering, and exciting.due to the loan benefits, training, reputation, and exit options.

Although the salary by no means advance rapidly, one can reach 6 figures after 10-15 years in most offices. (MIA and MA probably take 20+)

I paased up on biglaw in Texas for the exact same reasons, so I understand all of that, but I am confused how you can live in NY on those wages. Yikes!


Very carefully! It's doable.
My friend lived in Downtown Manhattan on 40k in the mailroom of some financial firm. :?


Those grand jury minutes don't sell themselves, you know.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3rd round in queens yesterday. 2 guys - filmed opening statement. Not bad, but the hypos they asked had involved very specific crim law knowledge (Difference between Assault 1, 2 and 3 in NY), what a Mapp hearing is as opposed to talking about search warrant suppression in general, ect. Kind of threw me when they point blank asked - "they ask for a map hearing, what would you argue?"


is the opening statement filmed in a court room? filmed with the 2 guys in the room?

User avatar
reasonableperson
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:01 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby reasonableperson » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:07 am

Bronx DA vs. Brooklyn DA?
Brooklyn has a nicer locale, but heard Bronx was the better office and pays 3-5k more.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:26 pm

I can echo that queens 3rd round is pretty long and intense.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:04 pm

Any news of offers so far today?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sd5289 wrote:ETA: for those of you waiting months on getting a response back and you're in the earlier stages, don't be afraid to call in and politely ask where you are in the process. Either they'll be able to tell you something or they won't be able to. Especially with the Queens office as there is only one person who handles all that (she's extremely nice, but obviously having to field numerous questions and applications each year).


What's the protocol for when an office straight up ignores all communication with you? Both calls and emails, for months. At this stage, if an offer comes down (from another office), I'm going to be multiple rounds behind for the office I really wanted to end up at.


Ugh, this is now my life. Waiting for Brooklyn to shit or get off the pot, was really hoping I would get a call back from them today.

Has Brooklyn ever done 3rd and 4th same day for a local applicant?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3rd round in queens yesterday. 2 guys - filmed opening statement. Not bad, but the hypos they asked had involved very specific crim law knowledge (Difference between Assault 1, 2 and 3 in NY), what a Mapp hearing is as opposed to talking about search warrant suppression in general, ect. Kind of threw me when they point blank asked - "they ask for a map hearing, what would you argue?"


is the opening statement filmed in a court room? filmed with the 2 guys in the room?


Same Anon from before. No - if it was it would be less stressful. It's in some guys office and you are in a 3 foot by 5 foot space between his table and a couch and bookcase. Very odd.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:53 pm

Call from Brooklyn - got told i had a final round with the DA and his secretary would contact me for a time and date. Got told that I should expect an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:04 pm

Out of town and just got a 718 phone call-- turned out to be a wrong number. Ughhhhh.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To anyone that had a Bronx 3rd Round with DA Johnson? Did you get an offer on the spot?


I did not get an offer on the spot, but the mechanics of the final round leads me to believe that it would be rare as you are kinda with the 1-3 other candidates.


wait what? could you elaborate?



4 people are scheduled for the same 30 minute timeslot. You are in a "green room" situation with the other 3 right before you are called in for 5sh minutes and when you are finished you walk right by the people who haven't interviewed yet. I guess theoretically if you were the last candidate in the slot you wouldn't have an issue.

I wasn't expecting an offer on the spot anyway, because I did not get my official transcript mailed out in time.


Is it true that you can't get an offer until your official transcript is in?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To anyone that had a Bronx 3rd Round with DA Johnson? Did you get an offer on the spot?


I did not get an offer on the spot, but the mechanics of the final round leads me to believe that it would be rare as you are kinda with the 1-3 other candidates.


wait what? could you elaborate?



4 people are scheduled for the same 30 minute timeslot. You are in a "green room" situation with the other 3 right before you are called in for 5sh minutes and when you are finished you walk right by the people who haven't interviewed yet. I guess theoretically if you were the last candidate in the slot you wouldn't have an issue.

I wasn't expecting an offer on the spot anyway, because I did not get my official transcript mailed out in time.


Is it true that you can't get an offer until your official transcript is in?



Transcript Anon here. They scheduled my third round like a few days after the call, so there was no way I was going to get my transcript in. The HR rep said it would be fine if the school sent it a little after, but it seemed like there would be no offer without it, which makes sense to me. Not really for GPA confirmation, but just confirmation that you go to a law school and will graduate that year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273476
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:09 pm

How is DANY second round ?

User avatar
reasonableperson
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:01 am

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby reasonableperson » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:03 pm

Good friend of mines was offered Manhattan and Bronx this week.
He was rejected from Philly and Queens the week prior.
Brooklyn, Miami, and Cook still pending, which he withdrew from.

These jobs are such a black box... :?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.