District Attorney Offices 2016

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bratty_60

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Postby Bratty_60 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else 2nd round or later in Bronx, Kings, or Queens but never received a Manhattan screener?

Trying to gauge my chances at these offices. Finished Bronx rounds and am currently waiting for an offer/ding.

Nassau: 2 Rounds
Queens: 1 Round, dinged after 1st round
Manhattan: 2 Rounds
Bronx: 3 Rounds
Brooklyn: 1 Round

I've heard Brooklyn and Manhattan have given offers, any others?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Bratty_60 wrote:
I've heard Brooklyn and Manhattan have given offers, any others?

Queens

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:58 pm

Had a panel interview at a big NY DA office very recently. After the casual foreplay about why I want to be there, why prosecute, etc., the main interviewer launched into a hypothetical. He got like 2 minutes into it and asked questions, and immediately we locked horns. We argued for literally 20 minutes about the law, what it is, what it should be, scenarios regarding the law (I was wrong of course, and realized as much) and we never really advanced through the hypothetical. Instead we were basically just arguing with each other.

I am seriously asking, was this the worst possible outcome? Part of me thinks that it wasn't so bad because our discussion was passionate and I didn't just roll over, but the interview did not progress as expected and I was certainly in the wrong for the discussion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a panel interview at a big NY DA office very recently. After the casual foreplay about why I want to be there, why prosecute, etc., the main interviewer launched into a hypothetical. He got like 2 minutes into it and asked questions, and immediately we locked horns. We argued for literally 20 minutes about the law, what it is, what it should be, scenarios regarding the law (I was wrong of course, and realized as much) and we never really advanced through the hypothetical. Instead we were basically just arguing with each other.

I am seriously asking, was this the worst possible outcome? Part of me thinks that it wasn't so bad because our discussion was passionate and I didn't just roll over, but the interview did not progress as expected and I was certainly in the wrong for the discussion.

Sounds normal to me. The value is in the discussion and how you handle yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:44 pm

Had final round with Nassau recently (about 15 min, basic questions and one hypo)

Have final round with Bronx scheduled (got a call about a week after second round)

Had second round with Manhattan, waiting to hear back

Had first OCI round with Queens in early September- no ding but no call either

Haven't even heard from Brooklyn despite interning there over a summer.

I know two people who interviewed with Bronx within the past few days. One got an offer 3 hours later (though I'm told this is rare and reserved for top candidates) and other is waiting to hear back. I haven't personally heard about any Brooklyn, Nassau, or Manhattan offers yet.

Anyone know how long I might expect to wait to hear back from Nassau? Or any stories of Bronx offers/how long people waited before hearing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:37 pm

^^ how sure are you about the bronx offer? this would be the first we're hearing of bronx offers in this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had final round with Nassau recently (about 15 min, basic questions and one hypo)

Have final round with Bronx scheduled (got a call about a week after second round)

I know two people who interviewed with Bronx within the past few days. One got an offer 3 hours later (though I'm told this is rare and reserved for top candidates) and other is waiting to hear back. I haven't personally heard about any Brooklyn, Nassau, or Manhattan offers yet.

Anyone know how long I might expect to wait to hear back from Nassau? Or any stories of Bronx offers/how long people waited before hearing?

I had my Bronx final a few weeks ago and was really banking on the fact they were waiting to make offers until January (so she can sign them herself).

From looking back at the old threads it seems like Bronx offers have no real timeline. Personally, my friend who works there now had an interview in December and was only offered in May. Last year, there were stories of same day offers.

I'm surprised you never head from Brooklyn, even for a 1st round. I'm guessing it was 1L summer? How was your rapport with your supervisors? Can you email them and ask? If it was 2L summer you might still be in line for a panel.

Queens straight up told me they had no idea how many new hires they need as they have such low turnover.

Legalbeagle7

Postby Legalbeagle7 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^^ how sure are you about the bronx offer? this would be the first we're hearing of bronx offers in this thread.

100% sure about the Bronx offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had final round with Nassau recently (about 15 min, basic questions and one hypo)

I had my Bronx final a few weeks ago and was really banking on the fact they were waiting to make offers until January (so she can sign them herself).

From looking back at the old threads it seems like Bronx offers have no real timeline. Personally, my friend who works there now had an interview in December and was only offered in May. Last year, there were stories of same day offers.

I'm surprised you never head from Brooklyn, even for a 1st round. I'm guessing it was 1L summer? How was your rapport with your supervisors? Can you email them and ask? If it was 2L summer you might still be in line for a panel.

Queens straight up told me they had no idea how many new hires they need as they have such low turnover.

Yeah honestly no clue about Bronx's timeline. Kind of seems to me like they have favorites going into the third round but who knows.

Brooklyn was 1L summer- great rapport with my supervisors, still keep in touch and use them as references. They have no idea why the office is moving so slow and said Brooklyn is always later than other offices. To me, it seems like they're going in reverse chronological order. They really pushed through everyone from the most recent summer, people I know from this summer have already had their third rounds. Someone I know who is currently interning there had a second round a week or two ago. So hopefully that 1L summer class is next. I'm hoping to skip to a panel, its just a question of when.

What are people's feelings on letting other offices know when they have third/final rounds scheduled but no offer yet, in hopes of pushing them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:22 pm

^Responding to above, but dont want to spam quote.

Since it's 1L summer, you aren't getting an auto-panel. That's for 2L summers and later. I did 2L Fall and Spring and still had to do a screener with (coincidentally) my department head. It's likely you will get a panel, but you still would need to do the screener. The order is messed up, I was told they are doing thirds now for competitive candidates (i.e. fighting with DANY) and those who are from out of town.

I totally spammed every office when I finished my Bronx third round Something like: "hi, just wanted to check in. I just finished the 3rd round at Bronx. If I receive an offer I am afraid this will put me [2,3,4] rounds behind your office's process which I still have a strong interest in pursuing...."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^Responding to above, but dont want to spam quote.

Since it's 1L summer, you aren't getting an auto-panel. That's for 2L summers and later. I did 2L Fall and Spring and still had to do a screener with (coincidentally) my department head. It's likely you will get a panel, but you still would need to do the screener. The order is messed up, I was told they are doing thirds now for competitive candidates (i.e. fighting with DANY) and those who are from out of town.

I totally spammed every office when I finished my Bronx third round Something like: "hi, just wanted to check in. I just finished the 3rd round at Bronx. If I receive an offer I am afraid this will put me [2,3,4] rounds behind your office's process which I still have a strong interest in pursuing...."

Thanks, I'll probably make some calls.

And with Brooklyn, the only reason I am under the impression that I will go straight to a panel is that during that summer, they told us that high-performing interns would skip the screener, and that they would keep our evaluations on file. I then confirmed that this was the case with the head of legal hiring (about a month ago). So unless its changed or he misrepresented I am hoping for an auto-panel but would take whatever at this point.

Bratty_60

Postby Bratty_60 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

When were you informed about the Nassau Final Round? Did you interview with Mrs. Singas? I'm also surprised they asked you hypos in the final round

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:15 pm

Replying to above ^

I found out about Nassau third round almost exactly two weeks after my panel. Both letter and phone call. Interviewed with Mrs. Singas and the director of legal hiring. I wouldn't worry about the hypo- I was surprised too but it was more moral/behavioral what would you do than based in law or procedure.

Bratty_60

Postby Bratty_60 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Replying to above ^

I found out about Nassau third round almost exactly two weeks after my panel. Both letter and phone call. Interviewed with Mrs. Singas and the director of legal hiring. I wouldn't worry about the hypo- I was surprised too but it was more moral/behavioral what would you do than based in law or procedure.

Oh I see and when were your second and third interviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:06 pm

Bronx finally got a new website.

Still with Johnson's bio.

No career section though :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:08 pm

I'm going to miss the flash intro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:38 am

Bratty_60 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Replying to above ^

Oh I see and when were your second and third interviews?

Second was late October, third was earlier this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:29 am

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on TLS. Hopefully, my input helps a little bit. I did 2nd round panel interviews at Brooklyn (where I interned last summer) and DANY; I had a 1st round w/ Queens, and just did a final (3rd) round with BX.

Despite having interned at BK, it's been silent since I interviewed in the late summer :( Boo. Radio silence from Queens since my on campus screener in September.

A few of my friends just got offers at DANY, and a few were dinged. So, they are making final decisions, it seems. I haven't heard either way yet, so I guess I'm in the "maybe" pile; how nervewracking!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:49 am

Does anyone know how offers are given for the various offices? Snail mail, phone call, email?

Bratty_60

Postby Bratty_60 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on TLS. Hopefully, my input helps a little bit. I did 2nd round panel interviews at Brooklyn (where I interned last summer) and DANY; I had a 1st round w/ Queens, and just did a final (3rd) round with BX.

Despite having interned at BK, it's been silent since I interviewed in the late summer :( Boo. Radio silence from Queens since my on campus screener in September.

A few of my friends just got offers at DANY, and a few were dinged. So, they are making final decisions, it seems. I haven't heard either way yet, so I guess I'm in the "maybe" pile; how nervewracking!!

RE: DANY

I was told after my 2nd round interview that they wouldn't get back to me until end of December so I also feel like I'm in their "maybe" pile. I know that they can speed along my interviews. They said they would move faster if I got an offer. Hoping Bronx comes through soon with an offer!

Bratty_60

Postby Bratty_60 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bronx finally got a new website.

career section is under "about the district attorney"

Bratty_60

Postby Bratty_60 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how offers are given for the various offices? Snail mail, phone call, email?

DANY & Brooklyn: Mostly on the spot @ the 4th Round
Bronx: Phone Call and Letter
The Rest....IDK

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how offers are given for the various offices? Snail mail, phone call, email?

Queens initially with a phone call, with an official confirmation and instructions following via snail mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a panel interview at a big NY DA office very recently. After the casual foreplay about why I want to be there, why prosecute, etc., the main interviewer launched into a hypothetical. He got like 2 minutes into it and asked questions, and immediately we locked horns. We argued for literally 20 minutes about the law, what it is, what it should be, scenarios regarding the law (I was wrong of course, and realized as much) and we never really advanced through the hypothetical. Instead we were basically just arguing with each other.

Sadly, it depends. I went through an interview where it was like that, and the panel interviewers seemed almost in disbelief that I would maintain my position. On the flipside, one of my friends had a similar 1 on 1 interview, and he was dinged.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bronx finally got a new website.

Still fails with crappy low-res banner.
Website looks like it's put together by a highschooler as opposed to a 9 year old now.
Brooklyn and Manhattan DA website are actually decent.

Return to “Legal Employment”