District Attorney Offices 2016 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the typical dress code when you aren't at trial? I'm at a firm that is "California business casual," and am wondering if I can still wear jeans in the office, or whether I should invest in slacks again.
For the NYC offices, I'm pretty sure it's business professional minus the suit - so you can top it on at a minute's notice for whatever meeting/ interview/ thing that may arise. The hiring lady at a DA's office told me that as prosecutors, we're suppose to look "professional" at all times.

I guess also that since you will be in court most days, there really isn't any time to change into business casual. Once you get back into the office from court, take off the suit unless you're cold or something.

It this accurate guys?
From personal experience, kings makes you suit up everyday. If you can be seen by the public (e.g. someone else's complaining witness walking by), you better be in a full suit. There was a pretty aggressive officewide memo about it last year.
Are females allowed to wear business dresses at Kings? Or are actual suits required for female ADAs in addition to their male counterparts?

Also, besides dressing up requirements, could you talk a bit about the culture at Kings?

Sorry, been 3Loling it this week.

Disclosure, I'm a guy.

In general there's a distinction between going to criminal court cor misdemeanor s (hoyt & s), and going to supreme for felonies (jay st).

Women always had jackets and planned their outfits around the idea they'll have jackets/blazers on. Not full suits but I imagine more business casual.

There was actually a difference of formality whether you'd go to supreme or criminal. I feel for the ladies because for guys it's always suit up. Ive seen times where a woman couldn't go to supreme (to 2nd seat) because she was too "casual".

The culture of the office is amazing, ECAB sucks, but nothing can fix that.
How often are first year ADAs doing ECAB v. arraignments there?

jayrde1234

New

Post by jayrde1234 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the typical dress code when you aren't at trial? I'm at a firm that is "California business casual," and am wondering if I can still wear jeans in the office, or whether I should invest in slacks again.
For the NYC offices, I'm pretty sure it's business professional minus the suit - so you can top it on at a minute's notice for whatever meeting/ interview/ thing that may arise. The hiring lady at a DA's office told me that as prosecutors, we're suppose to look "professional" at all times.

I guess also that since you will be in court most days, there really isn't any time to change into business casual. Once you get back into the office from court, take off the suit unless you're cold or something.

It this accurate guys?
From personal experience, kings makes you suit up everyday. If you can be seen by the public (e.g. someone else's complaining witness walking by), you better be in a full suit. There was a pretty aggressive officewide memo about it last year.
Are females allowed to wear business dresses at Kings? Or are actual suits required for female ADAs in addition to their male counterparts?

Also, besides dressing up requirements, could you talk a bit about the culture at Kings?

Disclosure, I'm a guy.

In general there's a distinction between going to criminal court cor misdemeanor s (hoyt & s), and going to supreme for felonies (jay st).

Women always had jackets and planned their outfits around the idea they'll have jackets/blazers on. Not full suits but I imagine more business casual.

There was actually a difference of formality whether you'd go to supreme or criminal. I feel for the ladies because for guys it's always suit up. Ive seen times where a woman couldn't go to supreme (to 2nd seat) because she was too "casual".

When I was there, the process was 1yr to 1-1/2 yrs in crim crt/ECAB (but you always did at least 6 months in ECAB [9-430 mon-fri and you didn't take work home...] then, depending on needs of the office, you went to grand jury for 6 months to a yr. After GJ you came back to your trial zone where you were initially doing the crim crt cases but this time you start doing felony dwi's - then, again depending on office needs and after your 3 yr commitment, you were allowed to to bid for one of the specialized bureaus and if they wanted you, you got to move out of your trial zone. Otherwise, you stayed in your trial zone until you could prove you were ready for more complicated cases and then you got to bid again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:46 am

jayrde1234 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It this accurate guys?

Disclosure, I'm a guy.

When I was there, the process was 1yr to 1-1/2 yrs in crim crt/ECAB (but you always did at least 6 months in ECAB [9-430 mon-fri and you didn't take work home...] then, depending on needs of the office, you went to grand jury for 6 months to a yr. After GJ you came back to your trial zone where you were initially doing the crim crt cases but this time you start doing felony dwi's - then, again depending on office needs and after your 3 yr commitment, you were allowed to to bid for one of the specialized bureaus and if they wanted you, you got to move out of your trial zone. Otherwise, you stayed in your trial zone until you could prove you were ready for more complicated cases and then you got to bid again.
Thanks for the explanation. I was told during my interviews that first year ADAs split time between arraignments and ECAB. So is ECAB "enjoyable" at all? How much actual courtroom experience is there in ECAB?

The idea of 9-4:30 is very appealing though. I could probably get used to that, despite the work being boring lol

jayrde1234

New

Post by jayrde1234 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I was told during my interviews that first year ADAs split time between arraignments and ECAB. So is ECAB "enjoyable" at all? How much actual courtroom experience is there in ECAB?

The idea of 9-4:30 is very appealing though. I could probably get used to that, despite the work being boring lol[/quote]

There is no courtroom experience in ECAB, you interview one officer/complaining witness after another and write up the criminal court complaints only. You then send the cases to the appropriate trial zone/specialized bureau who figures out the next steps and tries the case.

People enjoy ECAB because the work is easy, you know when your expected to be in the office and when the office closes (unlike any other zone/bureau were you will likely be pulling multiple all-nighters' - especially when one of your cases is going to trial), and you don't really have a "caseload" like you do elsewhere that you have to take home/stay late because you were not able to finish your work in the office.

I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear, but do not worry, you will get plenty of trial experience in criminal court, arraignments, and at GJ. Think of ECAB more as a place to refine you writing and interviewing skills and learn the law.

stealthgunner

New

Post by stealthgunner » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:24 pm

jayrde1234 wrote:Thanks for the explanation. I was told during my interviews that first year ADAs split time between arraignments and ECAB. So is ECAB "enjoyable" at all? How much actual courtroom experience is there in ECAB?

The idea of 9-4:30 is very appealing though. I could probably get used to that, despite the work being boring lol

Personally, I think ECAB will be fun. It's an opportunity to play trivia with the law. Not that it's a game by any means, but what I mean is you have the opportunity to hear sparse facts, determine whether probable cause exists, match the facts with the relevant statute, interact with NYPD, and just learn. Rapid fire style. But I'm a glutton for pain 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:45 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/23/nyregion/23ecab.html

"...prosecutors stress that ECAB is a place for investigation, not simply writing complaints. Assistants must determine the proper charges to file based on the facts of a case — which are usually provided by a police officer — or whether to drop charges altogether. In felony cases, the prosecutor must start preparing for a grand jury presentation by, among other things, interviewing witnesses, getting a statement from the defendant and drafting subpoenas and search warrants."
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:49 am

ECAB is enjoyable for most, and is an appropriate place to start for new prosecutors. A year of it is more than enough for most though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:46 am

At first I dreaded the thought of doing ECAB. But, from what people are saying about ECAB in this thread, I'm now excited to begin my career doing it. I'm not sure how true this is, but it seems that ADAs doing ECAB will have a lot power, which is both exciting and nerve-wrecking. Does anybody know exactly how much leeway first-year ADAs have in terms of dropping/raising/dismissing charges during ECAB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:35 pm

I start in a non trial bureau so Ive been told I avoid ECAB.

If I want to transfer to trials down the road, would I have to go to ECAB first, as a 4th year, and get re-cycled with the 1st years for applying to trial divisions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/23/nyregion/23ecab.html

"...prosecutors stress that ECAB is a place for investigation, not simply writing complaints. Assistants must determine the proper charges to file based on the facts of a case — which are usually provided by a police officer — or whether to drop charges altogether. In felony cases, the prosecutor must start preparing for a grand jury presentation by, among other things, interviewing witnesses, getting a statement from the defendant and drafting subpoenas and search warrants."
Hah...HAH.

Seeing as how I hear "it's called the *early* case assessment bureau for a reason" and "go faster" all the time when I'm in ECAB, I'd say that's a fairly optimistic view of ECAB. At the very least misdemeanor ECAB is an assembly line for churning out facially sufficient criminal complaints. If you manage to tag on evidence that'll be helpful if the case doesn't plead out at arraignments, that's a bonus, but generally just left up to whoever the assigned ADA is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:43 pm

I accepted a Brooklyn offer, but haven't received anything in terms of paperwork. Should I be worried at all, or am I freaking out for no reason?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted a Brooklyn offer, but haven't received anything in terms of paperwork. Should I be worried at all, or am I freaking out for no reason?
I received a confirmation of the offer in writing, in the form of a letter from the DA, about a month after my offer. I haven't received anything else though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I accepted a Brooklyn offer, but haven't received anything in terms of paperwork. Should I be worried at all, or am I freaking out for no reason?
I received a confirmation of the offer in writing, in the form of a letter from the DA, about a month after my offer. I haven't received anything else though.

Thanks for the answer. Hmm. I received my offer in person over a month ago. I guess I could email WMJ but I didn't want to bother him if there's nothing to worry about.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for the answer. Hmm. I received my offer in person over a month ago. I guess I could email WMJ but I didn't want to bother him if there's nothing to worry about.
Different anon. Fuck WMJ. You're fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Different anon. Fuck WMJ. You're fine.
Haha I thought so, but was being a worry wart. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:02 pm

Does anybody have insight into salaries for the NYC offices? I know Manhattan is about $63k. What about the others?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 01, 2016 7:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak about the benefits package, specifically vacation time, in the Bronx or anywhere else?
Free health insurance, not including prescription coverage. As a first year ADA you get 15 days vacation. Each year in the office you get 5 more days until a max of 25 days per year. You pretty much have to take a week in December around the holidays and a week in the summer unless you're saving them for some reason (baby on the way, honeymoon, etc). If you're starting in Criminal Court you get a comp day for every weekend that you work. These can be used any time. I'm not sure if this will continue once they finalize the transition to vertical prosecution. A lot is changing in the office.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak about the benefits package, specifically vacation time, in the Bronx or anywhere else?
Free health insurance, not including prescription coverage. As a first year ADA you get 15 days vacation. Each year in the office you get 5 more days until a max of 25 days per year. You pretty much have to take a week in December around the holidays and a week in the summer unless you're saving them for some reason (baby on the way, honeymoon, etc). If you're starting in Criminal Court you get a comp day for every weekend that you work. These can be used any time. I'm not sure if this will continue once they finalize the transition to vertical prosecution. A lot is changing in the office.
I'm assuming this is for the Bronx (in response to the specific question quoted). In Manhattan, you get 4 (or 5?) weeks every year, but obviously during your 1st year you don't have any time to really use it. You may take a day off here and there, but don't expect to be taking any long vacations, except maybe a week in August when the courts basically shut down. Not sure how it works in other office, but vacation days roll over here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2016 4:26 pm

Any word on Cook County?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2016 9:35 pm

Are there still people waiting on Kings at all? I mean post-panel months ago, complete radio silence for everything.

EDIT: Like even Queens moving faster.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 06, 2016 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are there still people waiting on Kings at all? I mean post-panel months ago, complete radio silence for everything.

EDIT: Like even Queens moving faster.
Kings takes FOREVER to do everything. It's so frustrating. But, I've had success expediting the process by hitting up the office with friendly reminders.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2016 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on Cook County?
also still waiting on Cook County

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2016 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on Cook County?
also still waiting on Cook County

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2016 4:01 pm

Brooklyn offer letter came today. Salary is $60k. No mention of start date though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 11, 2016 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Any idea whether free health insurance is something that ADAs at all the NYC offices enjoy, or is this just Bronx?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”