District Attorney Offices 2016 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sd5289

Gold

Re: District Attorney Offices 2016

Post by sd5289 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are the background checks like for the nyc offices? I have a couple ACDs and an outright dismissal (facial insufficiency FTW). School C&F knows, da office never asked. Was previously fingerprinted for another office's internship background check, no issue.

Offer contingent on background investigation so naturally starting to get paranoid.

EDIT: 420 posts! LoL
What do you mean they never asked? It's been a while but I'm almost positive I was asked if I'd ever been arrested, much less whether a case survived arraignments and ended up in motion practice...

Typically the background check is into criminal history, civil legal history, financial debt history, and some offices send investigators to your home address and ask your neighbors/building super about you.
Financial debt history? :shock: Can you elaborate?
Only if you're in arrears on something, or declared bankruptcy, etc. Serious delinquencies. I think similar to what the C&F committee asks you if I remember correctly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:48 pm

To those interested, Queens DA is still conducting second round interviews. I already accepted another offer so to those still patiently waiting I hope you guys get that call soon. Also, Helene is in fact a wonderful woman and she said they are just slower in the process, but it seems like there is still some movement. Best of luck to everyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:40 pm

Anyone hear some news about Brooklyn? It seems very quiet on here, are they having a smaller class this year?

I had a second round in September and can't get an answer from anyone at that office. So far at my school it seems like all Bronx and Nassau hires. Only rejection so far was NYDA (snail mail).

reasonableperson

New

Post by reasonableperson » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear some news about Brooklyn? It seems very quiet on here, are they having a smaller class this year?

I had a second round in September and can't get an answer from anyone at that office. So far at my school it seems like all Bronx and Nassau hires. Only rejection so far was NYDA (snail mail).
You should give the two hiring coordinators a call.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:23 pm

reasonableperson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear some news about Brooklyn? It seems very quiet on here, are they having a smaller class this year?

Anon here, yea that's what I meant by "can't get an answer". Both WMJ and YJB have been screening their calls throughout the whole process. Even the ADA they use for cover when one has an out of office email is unresponsive. So frustrating. Was my top office too and I told them so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
reasonableperson wrote:

Anon here, yea that's what I meant by "can't get an answer". Both WMJ and YJB have been screening their calls throughout the whole process. Even the ADA they use for cover when one has an out of office email is unresponsive. So frustrating. Was my top office too and I told them so.
Yeah, same happened to me throughout Nov and Dec when I had an offer with Philly and wanted them to expedite. (Had 2nd round in Oct).
They weren't answering, and after a few weeks I received an offer with the Bronx and decided to stop wasting my time.
Keep pushing them!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:34 pm

Brooklyn has been AWFUL this entire process. All they care about is competing with Manhattan with offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Brooklyn has been AWFUL this entire process. All they care about is competing with Manhattan with offers.
I have a panel coming up, but this kinda frightens me. What do you mean they've been awful?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Brooklyn has been AWFUL this entire process. All they care about is competing with Manhattan with offers.
I have a panel coming up, but this kinda frightens me. What do you mean they've been awful?
I meant their recruitment process in general. Do good at your panel and you'll be fine. My Brooklyn panel was pretty intense so be prepared to get lots of pushback. Be confident and firm but don't wed to your original answers in the face of changing circumstances.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Has anyone who accepted an offer at Brooklyn actually gotten any paperwork from their office? I was made an oral offer from DA Thompson, which I accepted via phone within a few days, but I have still yet to receive any sort of written offer or acceptance package in the mail. WMJ said not to worry and that it would be sent out in the next month or two, but I can't help be a little paranoid (seeing as I turned down other offers that were in writing for Brooklyn).

reasonableperson

New

Post by reasonableperson » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who accepted an offer at Brooklyn actually gotten any paperwork from their office? I was made an oral offer from DA Thompson, which I accepted via phone within a few days, but I have still yet to receive any sort of written offer or acceptance package in the mail. WMJ said not to worry and that it would be sent out in the next month or two, but I can't help be a little paranoid (seeing as I turned down other offers that were in writing for Brooklyn).
Not Brooklyn, but as long as they have confirmed your acceptance letter, you're good.
Bronx will be hearing back from the office in March regarding general ADA info, and June regarding employment paperwork.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:22 pm

To the folks discussing Brooklyn:

I also have a panel coming up. What kinda of things can I expect? Typical hypos? Were any of you required to "perform" anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:To the folks discussing Brooklyn:

I also have a panel coming up. What kinda of things can I expect? Typical hypos? Were any of you required to "perform" anything?
Pretty much has been covered earlier in the thread. Expect a confrontational tone and three ADAs of varying seniority peppering you with challenges to anything you say.

Everything on your resume or transcript is fair game and you will likely get a very involved hypo with lots of facts and issues. Really just talk your thought process out loud and don't be afraid to push back if they challenge you. They are going to try to back you into a corner, if they do, it's ok. You, a law student, just got beat by 3 experienced attorneys. Just make a fight of it and dont take anything they say personally. They are going to try to knock you off your stride.

People here aren't complaining about how the interviews are conducted, it's pretty typical. Actually looking back I would say it was one of my easier, less confrontational-- more professional panels.

People are venting with how KCDA HR has been communicating with candidates. Kings was my first choice, but I ended up taking another offer in December because they just would not get back to me. I still have not received a ding letter from Kings.

Know Brady and Giglio. Cold. The elements of Brady will be your friend. They should have emailed the cases to you so they's no excuse for not knowing them. Also refresh yourself on 4th amendment stuff, specifically Debour. DO NOT TAKE OUT A CASE BRIEF OF IT DURING THE INTERVIEW. Heard a story of someone who tried that.

Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To the folks discussing Brooklyn:

Pretty much has been covered earlier in the thread. Expect a confrontational tone and three ADAs of varying seniority peppering you with challenges to anything you say.

Everything on your resume or transcript is fair game and you will likely get a very involved hypo with lots of facts and issues. Really just talk your thought process out loud and don't be afraid to push back if they challenge you. They are going to try to back you into a corner, if they do, it's ok. You, a law student, just got beat by 3 experienced attorneys. Just make a fight of it and dont take anything they say personally. They are going to try to knock you off your stride.

People here aren't complaining about how the interviews are conducted, it's pretty typical. Actually looking back I would say it was one of my easier, less confrontational-- more professional panels.

People are venting with how KCDA HR has been communicating with candidates. Kings was my first choice, but I ended up taking another offer in December because they just would not get back to me. I still have not received a ding letter from Kings.

Know Brady and Giglio. Cold. The elements of Brady will be your friend. They should have emailed the cases to you so they's no excuse for not knowing them. Also refresh yourself on 4th amendment stuff, specifically Debour. DO NOT TAKE OUT A CASE BRIEF OF IT DURING THE INTERVIEW. Heard a story of someone who tried that.

Good luck.
Same poster. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch for your helpful response.

Also...smh at the person who took a case brief out during their interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:24 am

Know Brady and Giglio.
Seconding. One of my hypos in this round led to one of the ADAs insisting that I didn't understand the point of Giglio. I was like 99% sure I was right (which does not feel nearly sure enough in those circumstances) and fought back like hell. They told me after that I was right, but telling this senior ADA that he was wrong was absolutely the most nerve-wracking part of the all of my interviews.
Kings was my first choice, but I ended up taking another offer in December because they just would not get back to me. I still have not received a ding letter from Kings.
I ended up going to a third office, but I was seriously leaning Queens over Kings for my second choice. A strong factor (not the only one, but it was up there) was the drastic difference of Helene v. Brooklyn's hiring coordinators.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Know Brady and Giglio.
Seconding. One of my hypos in this round led to one of the ADAs insisting that I didn't understand the point of Giglio. I was like 99% sure I was right (which does not feel nearly sure enough in those circumstances) and fought back like hell. They told me after that I was right, but telling this senior ADA that he was wrong was absolutely the most nerve-wracking part of the all of my interviews.
To be fair, there are plenty of admitted attorneys who don't understand the difference between Brady and Giglio. I get the point of pressing someone on the basics of such during an interview, but they were likely pressing you hard because you were giving the "right" answers.

And then there's the scenario where it's just unclear whether the information is Brady or Giglio (which effects disclosure timing)...really the easiest thing to do is disclose when in doubt. I know it's parroted here as "the line" in interviews, but it's true in practice. You don't want a trigger-happy DC screaming about some kind of violation.

fauxpsych

Bronze

Post by fauxpsych » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:13 am

sd5289 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Know Brady and Giglio.
And then there's the scenario where it's just unclear whether the information is Brady or Giglio (which effects disclosure timing)
How is the timing different in NY? I could see there being a difference between Rosario and Brady, but now I feel like I'm missing something.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:34 am

fauxpsych wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Know Brady and Giglio.
And then there's the scenario where it's just unclear whether the information is Brady or Giglio (which effects disclosure timing)
How is the timing different in NY? I could see there being a difference between Rosario and Brady, but now I feel like I'm missing something.
I wouldn't sweat that too much, but timing as in when you have to hand it to the other side. I don't think this will come up, just know when in doubt disclose. a witness dying has no exculpatory effect but only makes the prosecutor's job harder so no need to disclose.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:49 am

Change of pace.

Outside of the practice of law, what are the cultures like for the NYC offices?

When I was interning at Kings it seemed like there was a robust Softball league between the trial zones. Anything similar in other offices? Do Bronx ADAs cut out early to go catch Yankees games? Any DANYs take dumpling trips to chinatown? Does Queens do anything, at all out there?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:06 am

Any more offers from anywhere?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:33 am

Recently had my panel at Brooklyn. It was pretty straightforward, and only last a half hour.

They weren't too aggressive and I only got 1 hypo. Should I be worried?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Recently had my panel at Brooklyn. It was pretty straightforward, and only last a half hour.

They weren't too aggressive and I only got 1 hypo. Should I be worried?

Nope. There's no set guidelines for how interviews are supposed to go. During my cycle, my second round Bronx interview was very informal and I got no hypos, but I got invited back.

Also, FWIW, Queens is still conducting first round interviews as of last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Vent post: had my final round interview today and I feel like it didn't go so well. They were so unfriendly, pushed back on everything I said. Asked me a few hypos about ethical situations and treated my answers like they were ridiculous. Overall just seemed very uninterested in me. I understand that this is a technique, but feels bad man.
Hypos I got. "what do you do if your witness tells you they're going to lie on the stand?" "what do you do if on the eve of trial you discover a document you've never seen before?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Vent post: had my final round interview today and I feel like it didn't go so well. They were so unfriendly, pushed back on everything I said. Asked me a few hypos about ethical situations and treated my answers like they were ridiculous. Overall just seemed very uninterested in me. I understand that this is a technique, but feels bad man.
Hypos I got. "what do you do if your witness tells you they're going to lie on the stand?" "what do you do if on the eve of trial you discover a document you've never seen before?"
I'm sorry to hear about your rough interview but you never know what they're looking for or how they perceive you as a candidate so don't let it get to you. Just wondering though, where was this final round at?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Vent post: had my final round interview today and I feel like it didn't go so well. They were so unfriendly, pushed back on everything I said. Asked me a few hypos about ethical situations and treated my answers like they were ridiculous. Overall just seemed very uninterested in me. I understand that this is a technique, but feels bad man.
Those interviews are such a black box. I'm guessing since it was a combative final panel interview this was queens?

EDIT: Sorry meant to elaborate more but hit submit instead. What I mean by black box is that because of the variety of interviewing ADAs, personal styles, and office politics/reputations, no two person's pathways are the same.

For example in one panel interview I had a Bureau Chief dominate the entire discussion. Was a real fucking asshole and ballbuster. To the point of borderline personal attacks and profanity. About 10 minutes in I just gave up on the position and was just trying to keep up, profanity and all. Like we didn't talk about law at all, no hypos. A friend of mine at the office told me this was because my previous round interviewer is known to be nice and kind of a pushover, and likely put down that I knew the NY law sufficiently or was over-prepared for it. The panel interviewers had those notes and really just wanted to see how I could perform under pressure outside of my comfort zone. The round after the panel was a pushover, likely because they saw I was interviewed (and approved) by the notoriously dickish Bureau Chief.

I know it feels terrible, but I'm sure you did better than you think.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”