Can I use being well-connected as an interview strategy?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sephrenia300

Re: Can I use being well-connected as an interview strategy?

Postby sephrenia300 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:57 pm

I...just...this thread...

OP made me throw up a little in my mouth.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:58 pm

sephrenia300 wrote:OP made me throw up a little in my mouth.

I worry if this is how the interviewers will react if OP brings up the connections in a inorganic way, which it is very risky and may accidentally.

sephrenia300

Postby sephrenia300 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:02 pm

KMart wrote:
sephrenia300 wrote:OP made me throw up a little in my mouth.

I worry if this is how the interviewers will react if OP brings up the connections in a inorganic way, which it is very risky and may accidentally.

I would not be surprised. I mean obviously I'm a rising 2L and not an interviewer, but I've seen people ask questions at firm receptions that they are not at all interested in the answer to, only to very transparently point out trait X or Y about themselves, and you can see the partner they're talking to visibly recoil.

Or at least, those of us that can read body language and social cues can. Which I guess is not every law student

smallfirmassociate

Postby smallfirmassociate » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You're living in a fantasy if you truly believe that.

This is the corporate world. In the corporate world no one is going to make up a job for you or put you in one that you're not minimally qualified for or pay you more for no reason.

No offense, but: Bullshit.

Get on google and start looking up state supreme court justices. Then start looking up their last names and find their children. You'll find that a lot of them practice law. You'll find that none (or close to none) practice law at anywhere other than a very reputable firm. Coincidence?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:45 pm

I wound up doing a bunch of callbacks on the same day or overlapping with bo guagua last august. Interviewers were really interested in him and actually asked me and other interviewees questions about him. I was also told point blank by a couple people that there was no way they could hire him at their firm since they do too much business with Beijing and SOE's, but they still wanted to meet him as a well connected person.

Idk. Honestly I think you'd come off as a pompous fool name dropping clients as family friends. You're getting hired to be a summer associate, not a rainmaker. This isn't a profession that smiles upon such obviousness. The way connected people get hired is they show up to interviews and talk about the knicks draft or the new westhampton beach club for 30 minutes because their parents/network already made the right calls and massaged the right shoulders long before you step into the room. You can't force it down people's throats.

ditch digger

Postby ditch digger » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:59 pm

OP strikes me as a massive cunt. Go back to sucking your dad's cock for allowance. We all know those "well connected" types dig perverted shit like that. You all know the type: sitting behind their big marble desks, ties done up to eleven, clicking their fingers to the fucking Lighthouse Family, getting their dick sucked by a big Alsatian dog.

PvblivsScipio

Postby PvblivsScipio » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:18 pm

ditch digger wrote:OP strikes me as a massive cunt. Go back to sucking your dad's cock for allowance. We all know those "well connected" types dig perverted shit like that. You all know the type: sitting behind their big marble desks, ties done up to eleven, clicking their fingers to the fucking Lighthouse Family, getting their dick sucked by a big Alsatian dog.

Jelly?

I'd kill to be well connected like some of my classmates.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:00 pm

ditch digger wrote:OP strikes me as a massive cunt. Go back to sucking your dad's cock for allowance. We all know those "well connected" types dig perverted shit like that. You all know the type: sitting behind their big marble desks, ties done up to eleven, clicking their fingers to the fucking Lighthouse Family, getting their dick sucked by a big Alsatian dog.

Dude, this is the on-topics. You can figure out a way to disagree without quite this level of name-calling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:37 am

smallfirmassociate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You're living in a fantasy if you truly believe that.

This is the corporate world. In the corporate world no one is going to make up a job for you or put you in one that you're not minimally qualified for or pay you more for no reason.

No offense, but: Bullshit.

Get on google and start looking up state supreme court justices. Then start looking up their last names and find their children. You'll find that a lot of them practice law. You'll find that none (or close to none) practice law at anywhere other than a very reputable firm. Coincidence?

If your dad is a supreme court justice you will have tons of legal options open to you, but not many corporate ones. Conversely, if your daddy is a corporate CEO, you will have tons of corporate options open to you, but not many legal ones.

If your dad is a SC justice or a biglaw partner I hope you're not coming to TLS for career advice...

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
J9ofDiamonds wrote:If your connections are that good, why are you trying to do big law?

$$$

golden handcuffs yo. Daddy isn't gonna bankroll me indefinitely.

That wasn't the point. If your connections are that good, you should be able to get a job in business with better pay/hours than law.

Yeah those don't actually exist if you have no particular skills. You can make 75k being a consultant and working almost as many hours, or make about the same as an investment banker for just as many hours, if not more.

The first few years are a grind no matter what you do. Might as well be a lawyer coz I'm in law school. I can always get an MBA do something else in a few years.

They do exist if your connections are good enough for a big law firm to care about. I think this thread has established pretty clearly that yours aren't.

You're living in a fantasy if you truly believe that.

Last I checked, the corporate world is part of the real world. So yes, they will. Well, I guess there is a reason...because you're well connected.

Return to “Legal Employment”