GW transfer student OCI advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GW transfer student OCI advice

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

chuckbass

Re: GW transfer student OCI advice

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:58 pm

I can't help with a bidlist, but definitely try to network your ass off now. Email alums and ask to talk about their practice or meet for coffee.

Also for Philly, mass mail and network if you can. They're not very prestige whoreish in general, but there are not a lot of spots in Philly to go around.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:02 pm

Thank you. I plan on mass-mailing pretty much every firm that I can get my hands on starting next week. I am just unsure exactly how to go about mass-mailing and OCI bidding. I am not sure if I can overlap or which ones I should primarily target during OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:23 pm

I feel like I posted this. Same exact situation, slightly different grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel like I posted this. Same exact situation, slightly different grades.

OP Here. Did you start bidding?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:31 pm

I was a WCL transfer to GW with your exact same GPA. I landed biglaw through OCI and it seemed like I had more interviews than some of the regular GW students. I'd advise focusing on NY offices. I had a little over 15 interviews total and only 4 were DC and none gave me callbacks. I think NY is more lenient.

I'll note that I was on the business law review at WCL so had that on my resume, also was part of a few organizations and was going for corporate during a time when all firms needed corporate so those things may have played into my luck.

Another note, not sure if deadlines have passed, but you can still technically sign up for WCLs NY interview thing. I went there and just told them during interviews that I had transferred. None of them are gonna complain about you going to a better school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was a WCL transfer to GW with your exact same GPA. I landed biglaw through OCI and it seemed like I had more interviews than some of the regular GW students. I'd advise focusing on NY offices. I had a little over 15 interviews total and only 4 were DC and none gave me callbacks. I think NY is more lenient.

I'll note that I was on the business law review at WCL so had that on my resume, also was part of a few organizations and was going for corporate during a time when all firms needed corporate so those things may have played into my luck.

Another note, not sure if deadlines have passed, but you can still technically sign up for WCLs NY interview thing. I went there and just told them during interviews that I had transferred. None of them are gonna complain about you going to a better school.

OP here. Thank you for the feedback.

I plan on doing the exact same thing. I am also on a secondary journal at WCL.

I plan on focusing on only NY and Philly (if it is even worth it). Did you mass-mail?

Overall, are you happy with your transfer? It seems as though some of the professors I talk to tell me that it is not worth the move. I am just trying to do what is best for me. I would appreciate any advice that you can give me.

PinkRevolver

Postby PinkRevolver » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. Thank you for the feedback.

I plan on doing the exact same thing. I am also on a secondary journal at WCL.

I plan on focusing on only NY and Philly (if it is even worth it). Did you mass-mail?

Overall, are you happy with your transfer? It seems as though some of the professors I talk to tell me that it is not worth the move. I am just trying to do what is best for me. I would appreciate any advice that you can give me.

I'm can't answer about Philly. I have no idea what the market there is like. I was all about NY and just threw in some DC for no real reason at all, didn't think it through I guess. Also, I bid mostly in the V-30 and down range, with a few reaches higher up.

As for transferring, I happy with my choice inthe sense that I accomplished what I came to law school for, Biglaw. However, I definitely missed my WCL friends and felt left out at first. We're still friends but not as close as we were, but that's mostly my fault cuz I stopped going out. Anyways....GW won't be too bad. Theres bound to be 5 or 6 people in the transfer class you know because GW takes like 30 WCL kids in the transfer class every year. I had a few section mates with me so we've hung out but also gotten to know a few GW students and other transfers. But it will take a huge effort on your part of the social aspect to integrate into GW.

Most of the WCL transfers I'm friends with landed either Biglaw, or some government agency that they wanted, or a clerkship. I don't know everybody though. The only person I know from WCL who almost didn't have anything for the summer was because she was admitted to GW after the OCI deadline, but she still graduated with a mid range firm.

Disclaimer- I really don't like WCL. Love the students and my teachers, but me and 5 other students that I know of got hounded by WCL to pay back our merit grants when we transferred. $10k+ due to them before we graduated, some people higher. So most of my summer money went to them. Still pissed about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:03 pm

PinkRevolver wrote:

I'm can't answer about Philly. I have no idea what the market there is like. I was all about NY and just threw in some DC for no real reason at all, didn't think it through I guess. Also, I bid mostly in the V-30 and down range, with a few reaches higher up.

As for transferring, I happy with my choice inthe sense that I accomplished what I came to law school for, Biglaw. However, I definitely missed my WCL friends and felt left out at first. We're still friends but not as close as we were, but that's mostly my fault cuz I stopped going out. Anyways....GW won't be too bad. Theres bound to be 5 or 6 people in the transfer class you know because GW takes like 30 WCL kids in the transfer class every year. I had a few section mates with me so we've hung out but also gotten to know a few GW students and other transfers. But it will take a huge effort on your part of the social aspect to integrate into GW.

Most of the WCL transfers I'm friends with landed either Biglaw, or some government agency that they wanted, or a clerkship. I don't know everybody though. The only person I know from WCL who almost didn't have anything for the summer was because she was admitted to GW after the OCI deadline, but she still graduated with a mid range firm.

Disclaimer- I really don't like WCL. Love the students and my teachers, but me and 5 other students that I know of got hounded by WCL to pay back our merit grants when we transferred. $10k+ due to them before we graduated, some people higher. So most of my summer money went to them. Still pissed about it.

My main goal is to work NY Biglaw, so I am really hoping I can get that. I am going to make my bid list this week and then begin bidding through OCI. I believe the deadline is July 17. I will take your advice on the V30 and down.

Did any of the firms ask you why you specifically transferred from WCL to GW? Also, did you apply to Georgetown?

I appreciate all of your feedback. I am really hoping that I am making the right move and that I can get Biglaw.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Wait a minute

American makes you pay back scholly money when you transfer

Am I reading that right

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:21 pm

runinthefront wrote:Wait a minute

American makes you pay back scholly money when you transfer

Am I reading that right

Yes. You read that correctly. They offer scholarships to top students after the first semester with a clause that says that students must pay it back if they transfer.

PinkRevolver

Postby PinkRevolver » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My main goal is to work NY Biglaw, so I am really hoping I can get that. I am going to make my bid list this week and then begin bidding through OCI. I believe the deadline is July 17. I will take your advice on the V30 and down.

Did any of the firms ask you why you specifically transferred from WCL to GW? Also, did you apply to Georgetown?

I appreciate all of your feedback. I am really hoping that I am making the right move and that I can get Biglaw.

Some interviewers asked why I transferred. I was just honest: Better Job Prospects. They all agreed and said they would've done the same thing. I don't think it's a huge deal. At GW your pre selected so they've already seen your resume and know your story before you walk in. I also said things like WCL is more nonprofit and government focused and I wanna do private practice, etc. But better job prospects is the main thing and they all get that, especially in the current job market. And yes I applied to Georgetown, but was waitlisted. I applied on the last day of the deadline so wasn't expecting much. Thats another school with like 20 or so WCL people in every transfer class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:47 pm

PinkRevolver wrote:Some interviewers asked why I transferred. I was just honest: Better Job Prospects. They all agreed and said they would've done the same thing. I don't think it's a huge deal. At GW your pre selected so they've already seen your resume and know your story before you walk in. I also said things like WCL is more nonprofit and government focused and I wanna do private practice, etc. But better job prospects is the main thing and they all get that, especially in the current job market. And yes I applied to Georgetown, but was waitlisted. I applied on the last day of the deadline so wasn't expecting much. Thats another school with like 20 or so WCL people in every transfer class.

I was planning on doing the same if asked about why I transferred to GW. Did you participate in GW's write-on competition?

I was also waitlisted at Georgetown. I assume that I will not hear back from them.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:06 pm

Don't bid Philly (I'm not sure GW even has any Philly firms to bid on) but mass mail Philly. And when you say you're interested in Philly, do you actually have good ties?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:11 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Don't bid Philly (I'm not sure GW even has any Philly firms to bid on) but mass mail Philly. And when you say you're interested in Philly, do you actually have good ties?

GW has its own OCI program specifically for Philadelphia. I can bid on 20 firms there, although only 9 firms participate from Philly. That is primarily why I will be bidding on Philly firms, but the rest of them I will mass mail. Yes, I do have good ties to the area.

Oh ok then definitely do that. I was going to say if it wasn't separate, it wouldn't be worth bidding Philly firms over NYC firms. Again Philly is just difficult because the class sizes are so small. But yeah, definitely do that OCI program then.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:17 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Don't bid Philly (I'm not sure GW even has any Philly firms to bid on) but mass mail Philly. And when you say you're interested in Philly, do you actually have good ties?

GW has its own OCI program specifically for Philadelphia. I can bid on 20 firms there, although only 9 firms participate from Philly. That is primarily why I will be bidding on Philly firms, but the rest of them I will mass mail. Yes, I do have good ties to the area.

Oh ok then definitely do that. I was going to say if it wasn't separate, it wouldn't be worth bidding Philly firms over NYC firms. Again Philly is just difficult because the class sizes are so small. But yeah, definitely do that OCI program then.

That is exactly what I figured. My main goal is NYC, but I figured it would be foolish not to bid Philly since I have good ties.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That is exactly what I figured. My main goal is NYC, but I figured it would be foolish not to bid Philly since I have good ties.

Exactly. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:35 pm

Thank you!

amw5471

Postby amw5471 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I feel like I posted this. Same exact situation, slightly different grades.

I am computer illiterate so hopefully this isn't anonymous. I try not to post here since my username unfortunately ties me to my real name but will you PM me? I have not started bidding because I got an extension on my deposit but will be depositing this week.

Also thanks to everyone who posted here helping with OCI at GW. I have been similarly lost while trying to decide if I would like to attend GW but I will be biting the bullet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:39 pm

amw5471 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am computer illiterate so hopefully this isn't anonymous. I try not to post here since my username unfortunately ties me to my real name but will you PM me? I have not started bidding because I got an extension on my deposit but will be depositing this week.

Also thanks to everyone who posted here helping with OCI at GW. I have been similarly lost while trying to decide if I would like to attend GW but I will be biting the bullet.

OP Here. I am new to this forum, but I will try to PM you right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:43 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:01 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”