Public Sector dominated resume --> biglaw/private practice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Public Sector dominated resume --> biglaw/private practice

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:10 am

Obviously many people who are employed in private practice law firms have only had prior experience in governmental agencies in their prior careers/internships, but does anyone have any insight on how to market this to law firms? My resume screams public service (fed,state,local & non-profit entities), but I don't think career-wise I want to end up working as an ADA, PD, or in an AG's office.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Public Sector dominated resume --> biglaw/private practice

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:49 am

foregetaboutdre wrote:Obviously many people who are employed in private practice law firms have only had prior experience in governmental agencies in their prior careers/internships, but does anyone have any insight on how to market this to law firms? My resume screams public service (fed,state,local & non-profit entities), but I don't think career-wise I want to end up working as an ADA, PD, or in an AG's office.

Thanks for any help or guidance.
I had only government experience before law school. I think it hurt with OCI bidding and getting interviews, but once I was in interviews it really did not make a difference. I think it helped that I am doing corporate so that lessened the fear that I just wanted to do a summer and then go off and save the world. Just talk about everything you learned from working in the public sector and how that will translate into firm life.

Don't want to bad mouth your gov't experience, you can say something along the lines of "great learning experience, wonderful ppl, and connections, but made me realize I don't want to work in the public sector for my career, etc."

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Re: Public Sector dominated resume --> biglaw/private practice

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:51 pm

Thanks...aligns with what I would have figured and experienced from prior experiences interviewing with private sector companies.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”