University of Texas 2015 OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: University of Texas 2015 OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:57 pm

Anyone know anything about timelines for offer decisions for Cadwalader (Hou) and/or Holland and Knight (Dal) and/or AK (Hou)?

Also LL (Hou) Offers are out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:01 pm

i know of a cadwalader hou offer

xMcGilicutty

Postby xMcGilicutty » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i know of a cadwalader hou offer

Any idea when they found out? (not that it really matters I suppose).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:29 pm

At least a week ago? Sorry

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:07 pm

Any Baker & McKenzie (Hou) offers out yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any Baker & McKenzie (Hou) offers out yet?

I know of one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:17 pm

Akin Gump Houston offer today
CB two weeks ago

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:18 pm

Haynes and Boone Houston rejection via snail mail today received

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:09 am

So what is the policy of only having one offer, but program is for half of summer only? Are you expected to try and either find another firm for second half somehow or are firms open to extending 6 weeks to 8 or 10? I would assume the latter but thinking of how SA's are structured in terms of events and everything just wondering.

Secondary question, would it be seen as bad to only do first half at one firm and do nothing for second half?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:46 am

A lot of people do one half and call it a day. Nothing wrong with that.

Most programs I know are 6/8, depending on whether you split. I don't think anyone's just gonna bump you up to ten, but I suppose you never know until you ask. Perhaps an offer from a peer firm would help, buuuut you don't have that... Some programs are to 8/10, and I think V&E is only 6 no matter what, but I heard that through the grapevine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:A lot of people do one half and call it a day. Nothing wrong with that.

Most programs I know are 6/8, depending on whether you split. I don't think anyone's just gonna bump you up to ten, but I suppose you never know until you ask. Perhaps an offer from a peer firm would help, buuuut you don't have that... Some programs are to 8/10, and I think V&E is only 6 no matter what, but I heard that through the grapevine.

V&E is 6 weeks min, 10 weeks max. They also no-offered a ton of people, so there's that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:49 am

I did "first-half only" this summer (1L), and the attorneys at the firm didn't seem to think it was a negative, or even unusual. Got an offer to come back for 2L summer.

One interesting thing is that the 1L gig was for 6, 7, or 8 weeks, while the 2L offer letter I received said that it would be for 8, 9, or 10 weeks. There were 2Ls there with me this summer, and they all left after six weeks, so I don't know if the firm is in the process of revamping their 2L summer program, or if they gave me longer choices because they suspect I'm only interested in doing first half next summer as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:37 am

^
Nope (well yes technically), my 1L firm did something similar as well. Firms are pushing towards longer summers like NYC and other major markets. They're trying to get rid of the second half, because most people who split take the first firm anyways. At least that's what I hear these days.

No idea how that'll affect places like AK & Bracewell.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:20 am

If TX firms start making people stay for 10 weeks and making it harder to split I would hope they would increase their offer rates too.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:42 pm

BigZuck wrote:If TX firms start making people stay for 10 weeks and making it harder to split I would hope they would increase their offer rates too.

It's two NYC based firms that are trying to make it a thing...nobody else

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:01 pm

(Anon from 11:49 last night)

mojosodope wrote:It's two NYC based firms that are trying to make it a thing...nobody else

I don't think it's just them, though. Sidley Austin (Chicago-based) will do a split summer, but only if they're the first half. Also, the firm that offered me the choice of 8, 9, or 10 weeks for next summer is based in Texas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:16 pm

I'm not a UT student, but there's no active thread right now for the rest of us.

Has anyone heard of callbacks from Bowman & Brooke (particularly the Dallas office)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
BigZuck wrote:If TX firms start making people stay for 10 weeks and making it harder to split I would hope they would increase their offer rates too.

Original anon.

That's not true at all.

I've can confirm two Texas firms and Jones Day have extended their programs.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:10 pm

Also not a UT student, but I was wondering if anybody had received an offer from Jackson Walker Houston after a callback yet. I had my CB last week, and have not heard anything. I know that their hiring committee meets every Friday, so I do not expect much. Also, does anybody know if they will do a second-half clerkship?

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:37 pm

Mojosodope wrote:

This is no longer accurate. I don't know of any non-TX firms that have programs less than 10 weeks long: in Houston, Simpson, Sadden, Kirkland, Latham, etc. are all 10 weeks minimum. In addition, some (e.g. Kirkland) explicitly do not allow splits.

Several Texas firms, particularly in Dallas, have moved to the same model. Almost all Texas firms in Dallas/Houston are "first half-only;" lots of those are 6-8 week minimum, but a growing number are moving to 10 week minimum. Locke Lord Dallas is a good example of a Texas office that is trying to move to a first half only / 10 week minimum summer program: it's not perfectly adhered to yet, but they are definitely pushing everyone in that direction.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:44 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

This is no longer accurate. I don't know of any non-TX firms that have programs less than 10 weeks long: in Houston, Simpson, Sadden, Kirkland, Latham, etc. are all 10 weeks minimum. In addition, some (e.g. Kirkland) explicitly do not allow splits.

Several Texas firms, particularly in Dallas, have moved to the same model. Almost all Texas firms in Dallas/Houston are "first half-only;" lots of those are 6-8 week minimum, but a growing number are moving to 10 week minimum. Locke Lord Dallas is a good example of a Texas office that is trying to move to a first half only / 10 week minimum summer program: it's not perfectly adhered to yet, but they are definitely pushing everyone in that direction.

Kirkland let people split this past summer - some even 2nd half - despite saying they don't allow splits. The only firm that truly forces you to be there first half, even for returning SAs, and refuses to budge is V&E, though the summer program there is 6-10 weeks... Aside from returning SAs who are permitted to do V&E/BB 5/5 splits.

Simpson, Skadden, and Latham also permit splits so long as you're there for the first 8 weeks. But returning SAs have in the past been permitted to do a new firm 1st half.

As far as non-TX firms having programs less than 10 weeks long: Akin is 6-8 weeks, Jones Day is 6-12 weeks, Sidley is 6-10 weeks, Paul Hastings is 5-6 weeks (second half), Mayer is 6 weeks (second half), Hogan is 6 weeks (second half).

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

Kirkland let people split this past summer - some even 2nd half - despite saying they don't allow splits. The only firm that truly forces you to be there first half, even for returning SAs, and refuses to budge is V&E, though the summer program there is 6-10 weeks... Aside from returning SAs who are permitted to do V&E/BB 5/5 splits.

Simpson, Skadden, and Latham also permit splits so long as you're there for the first 8 weeks. But returning SAs have in the past been permitted to do a new firm 1st half.

As far as non-TX firms having programs less than 10 weeks long: Akin is 6-8 weeks, Jones Day is 6-12 weeks, Sidley is 6-10 weeks, Paul Hastings is 5-6 weeks (second half), Mayer is 6 weeks (second half), Hogan is 6 weeks (second half).

This makes sense, and I expected as much, but my point was that it is far more than "two NYC firms" who are trying to make it a thing. Between 1L and 2L I've interviewed with every firm on your list sans Paul Hastings and Hogan, and most if not all have been pretty adamant that they're not a fan of splits. I get that what firms say and what they allow are different, but the point stands that the market is generally shifting away from splitting rather than towards it.

The Locke Lord thing is real too. They're hiring partner gave a presentation at my school earlier this year in which she unequivocally stated that they don't like splits and are trying to make them go away. Again there's the preach/practice issue, but at least a few Texas firms are moving towards more of a New York model.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:50 pm

Skadden has mentioned that they want the first 10 weeks, even if splitting. Has anybody recently been told that Skadden will allow 8 weeks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about timelines for offer decisions for Cadwalader (Hou) and/or Holland and Knight (Dal) and/or AK (Hou)?

Also LL (Hou) Offers are out.

from which CB session? aug 21 or 28?

SOS09270

Postby SOS09270 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Any offers or dings post-CB from Baker Botts (Dallas), McKool Smith (Dallas), or King & Spalding (Houston)? If so, mind sharing how long from CB--Offer or CB--ding? Were the dings sent via email or snail mail?

Return to “Legal Employment”