University of Texas 2015 OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: University of Texas 2015 OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:57 pm

Latham had a dinner last week for people who received offers. National firms tend to move pretty quickly, they're probably done.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:13 pm

Any offers for:

Akin Gump Dallas
Jackson Walker Dallas
Haynes and Boone Dallas (CBs or offers to people who weren't there for 1L summer)
Bracewell Houston

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:24 pm

ANYONE hear from jackson walker houston ???

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:20 pm

Any word from Weil, Dallas?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:11 pm

Any inhouse offers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any inhouse offers?
not an offer but finally got a ding from HP after screener

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Any opinion on Haynes and Boone Houston for transactional?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Simpson Thacher Houston.? Anyone heard anything back from them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:35 pm

Dell in house offers going out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any opinion on Haynes and Boone Houston for transactional?
I think V&E probably does the best Houston transactional. HayBoo seems to be king for middle market transactional in Dallas especially, but probably still does good work in Houston.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I think V&E probably does the best Houston transactional. HayBoo seems to be king for middle market transactional in Dallas especially, but probably still does good work in Houston.
It's Latham or V&E in Houston but V&E also no offers a ton so... HB is good in TX but not quite that level.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It's Latham or V&E in Houston but V&E also no offers a ton so... HB is good in TX but not quite that level.
Uh correct me if I'm wrong but didn't V&E offer 50/52 last year?

http://www.vault.com/company-profiles/l ... rview.aspx

Also says 28/30 on NALP directory.

https://www.nalpdirectory.com/employer_ ... hCondJSON=

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This year and 2013 were way lower, lots of no offers in Houston

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not sure about this year, but 2013 was around 88% which is pretty much standard for Texas

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not sure about this year, but 2013 was around 88% which is pretty much standard for Texas
That might be firmwide, 6+ people were for sure no offered in Houston 2013, the percentage could be higher since NY seems to be true 100%.. I heard lots of no offers this year

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:00 pm

My understanding is that all the big Texas firms no-offer significantly more than NY because of the splits system. Especially watch out if you are clerking at one of those "not quite big law" firms like Porter Hedges, Gardere, Thompson & Knight. They have small SA classes and there is no "offer is yours to lose" presumption like with the big firms (e.g. 50% offer rate in 2013 for PH). That second half gig is going to be harder to land, because the top dog firms are all first-half, but you really should do your best to get something for both halves for extra security (unless you're summering with the satellite office of a V10 that doesn't allow splits -- Latham or Kirkland or something).

-- 2015 grad

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My understanding is that all the big Texas firms no-offer significantly more than NY because of the splits system. Especially watch out if you are clerking at one of those "not quite big law" firms like Porter Hedges, Gardere, Thompson & Knight. They have small SA classes and there is no "offer is yours to lose" presumption like with the big firms (e.g. 50% offer rate in 2013 for PH). That second half gig is going to be harder to land, because the top dog firms are all first-half, but you really should do your best to get something for both halves for extra security (unless you're summering with the satellite office of a V10 that doesn't allow splits -- Latham or Kirkland or something).

-- 2015 grad
So do you think doing 10 weeks with a firm instead of splitting is safer? Say at BB or V&E?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Neff

Bronze

Post by Neff » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My understanding is that all the big Texas firms no-offer significantly more than NY because of the splits system. Especially watch out if you are clerking at one of those "not quite big law" firms like Porter Hedges, Gardere, Thompson & Knight. They have small SA classes and there is no "offer is yours to lose" presumption like with the big firms (e.g. 50% offer rate in 2013 for PH). That second half gig is going to be harder to land, because the top dog firms are all first-half, but you really should do your best to get something for both halves for extra security (unless you're summering with the satellite office of a V10 that doesn't allow splits -- Latham or Kirkland or something).

-- 2015 grad
So do you think doing 10 weeks with a firm instead of splitting is safer? Say at BB or V&E?
Even though some of the TX places seem to want to move to a mandatory 10-week schedule, it's still hard to say whether this will lead to a rise in offer rates (from 80s to 90s). Personally I think if you had a choice between 10 weeks at BB versus 6 weeks at BB and 6 weeks elsewhere, I'd go with the latter, just in case you end up hating BB. But it's impossible to really accurately quantify the risk so go with your gut, after checking offer rates on NALP forms and asking around.
Last edited by Neff on Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:47 pm

Of the Houston big 3, at BB and NRF you can clerk for 6 or 8 weeks. At BB you can clerk for 6-10 weeks. If you can't get anything your second half, do as long as possible at the one firm. If you have a second half, split. This is all kind of splitting (no pun intended) hairs though. Check offer rates and go with your gut.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:56 pm

So why is the conventional wisdom that splitting is better? Double the odds of getting an offer with no tangible negative impact?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:So why is the conventional wisdom that splitting is better? Double the odds of getting an offer with no tangible negative impact?
Doubling odds of getting an offer just in case something goes wrong with one firm, can see if you end up liking one more than other, typically can get a few extra weeks of pay too

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:02 am

Yep. Choosing to do only 6 weeks as opposed to 8 or 10 weeks at BB/V&E is not going to decrease your odds of getting an offer. You double the odds and you insure you have an out if you end up hating a place. I know people who made arrangements with firms to triple up, even.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:11 am

Makes sense. My situation is 1 offer with 2 on the table (but looking bleaker everyday). Am I still going to be in a good spot doing 10 weeks at V&E? I know it's not a 100% offer place but is it still basically mine to lose?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Makes sense. My situation is 1 offer with 2 on the table (but looking bleaker everyday). Am I still going to be in a good spot doing 10 weeks at V&E? I know it's not a 100% offer place but is it still basically mine to lose?
I think you'll be ok at V&E for next summer. They probably realized they screwed up with their class size, and they definitely don't want the reputation as being a no-offer firm. Maybe it had something to do with crazy oil ups and downs that caused bunch of no offers, but regardless, I would assume they took a more conservative approach to their hiring this year so as to avoid no-offering that many people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:18 am

If you only have 1 offer so far and it is from V&E then don't freak out. Just be happy you have an offer at all!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”