Below Median strategy for California

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Below Median strategy for California

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:04 pm

T10. 3.1X. Pretty bummed because I studied very hard all year, even switching strategies after a disappointing Fall, reading all the books and going to academic support and all that jazz. But I guess there's no point dwelling on it.

I have a pretty interesting background and I like to think I'm personable and charming. Diversity. Moderate ties to both Norcal and Socal. East Coast school, so NY will be highly represented at OCI and I will bid a number of safeties just in case...but I REALLY want California. What can I do? What firms should I look at? I'm willing to hustle but I want to do it effectively. I already plan on mass mailing all the California firms in the NALP directory, signed up for the Bay Area diversity fair, but all of this seems like a drop in the ocean. I need to stand out. All suggestions welcome.

OutoftheWoods

Re: Below Median strategy for California

Postby OutoftheWoods » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:10 pm

With a 3.1X, there are no safety firms (even at a T10). I can't offer any special advice other than the general: don't bid on the impossible firms (i.e. wachtell), bid firms with lower gpa floors but larger classes (for that info you can do a general search, but you prob know enough that gibson dunn is gonna be a no-go for you even though they have huge classes).

If you really want california, that should be able to come out in interviews. The east coast school is gonna raise eyebrows in LA/SF, but be prepared in case they ask why you went to school there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:31 am

Any success stories?

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:37 am

The east coast school is gonna raise eyebrows in LA/SF,

Not with ties, it won't. (Most firms recognize the reason to go T10 over UCLA/USC, and S & Boalt are difficult.)

OP, bid LA, SF will be big stretch. If you have any tech or business background, SV might be worth a look. But your best odds are LA. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:50 am

Any specific firms that are not too picky about grades?

How about firms with large class sizes in LA?

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:00 am

OP, you're already doing all the right things. I do think that with a 3.1, your bidlist needs to be mainly NYC, not just safeties (and I'm not even sure there are safeties... several realistic targets, though). An NYC job is better than no job, and you can mail most of the west coast firms/do the bay area fair / only bid on the CA firms you absolutely can't miss at OCI

BizBro

Postby BizBro » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:12 am

runinthefront wrote:OP, you're already doing all the right things. I do think that with a 3.1, your bidlist needs to be mainly NYC, not just safeties (and I'm not even sure there are safeties... several realistic targets, though). An NYC job is better than no job, and you can mail most of the west coast firms/do the bay area fair / only bid on the CA firms you absolutely can't miss at OCI

Does the calculus change if at CCN? 3.1X is about bottom quarter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:22 am

Bottom quarter anywhere is liable to strike out. Your gpa just looks way too close to a 3.0

But that's a question for jbagel or tiago or someone else at columbia/nyu

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bottom quarter anywhere is liable to strike out. Your gpa just looks way too close to a 3.0

But that's a question for jbagel or tiago or someone else at columbia/nyu

this was me idk why it was anon

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:37 pm

BizBro wrote:
runinthefront wrote:OP, you're already doing all the right things. I do think that with a 3.1, your bidlist needs to be mainly NYC, not just safeties (and I'm not even sure there are safeties... several realistic targets, though). An NYC job is better than no job, and you can mail most of the west coast firms/do the bay area fair / only bid on the CA firms you absolutely can't miss at OCI

Does the calculus change if at CCN? 3.1X is about bottom quarter.

The point is that at that grade level, what for others would be considered safety firms are in fact the firms you are riding on getting. Hence why there are no "safety"

Return to “Legal Employment”