Thoughts on OCI Bidding, 3.4 at UT

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thoughts on OCI Bidding, 3.4 at UT

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:52 am

Hi, I would love some thoughts/ critiques of my OCI bid so far. Law Review hasn't been released yet, but not counting on it. If I do get it I will shift some things around some. Already on a secondary journal through early editing process. Traditional median for UT is 3.37 ish, so little above with 3.4. Top focus is either Dallas or Austin, but not Houston. I'm not bothering with some firms whose traditional GPAs minimums for preselects are in 3.65+ range as I figure even if I got a lottery interview, my GPA wouldn't be high enough for a CB or offer. Although I know some big firms, VE, NRF, etc. can dip down to 3.4 so included them. List is NOT complete by any means, just hoping for some advice so far.

I've been a little unsure how to bid for a lot of these firms (the GPAs we've been given for preselects are different in some lists). It seems like I fall into the minimum GPA for some preselects, but the median will often be 3.5+, so I don't want to rely too heavily on getting preselects for those. We have 60 bids and once I cut out Houston and other cities and IP firms, seems hard to fill all of them.

1. VE (Dallas)
2. BB (Austin)
3. AK (Austin)
4. NRF (Austin, Dallas)
5. JW (Dallas)
6. Winstead (Dallas)
7. K&L Gates (Dallas)
8. Dechert ( Austin)
9. Haynes and Boone (Dallas)
10. Locke Lorde (Dallas)
11. Morgan Lewis (Dallas)
12. Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati (Austin)
13. Husch Blackwell (Dallas)
14. Husch Blackwell (Austin)
15. AK (Dallas)
16. Alston & Bird (Dallas)
17. Sidley Austin LLP (Dallas)
18. Bracewell & Giuliani (Dallas)
19. Holland & Knight (Dallas)
20. Thompson and Knight (Dallas)
21. Fox Rothschild (Dallas)
22. Gjerset & Lorenz (Austin)
23. Naman Howell Smith & Lee (Austin)
24. Gardere Wynne Sewell (Dallas)
25. Strasburger & Price (Dallas)
26. Gray Reed & McGraw (Dallas)
27. Baron and Budd (Dallas)
28. Polsinelli (Dallas)
29. Dykema (Dallas)
30. Munsch Hardt Kopf & Harr (Dallas)
31. Thompson Coe Cousins & Irons (Austin)
32. Thompson Coe Cousins & Irons (Dallas)

BigZuck

Re: Thoughts on OCI Bidding, 3.4 at UT

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:08 pm

I'd probably drop every Austin firm, it just won't happen from median.

I think Dallas will be tough too without strong ties. Ideally I think you should be looking at the biggest offices that aren't as GPA choosy, which generally means Houston.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:18 pm

Ditto what BZ said. Some of the small austin firms may be doable (gjerset, for example), but even that i wouldn't count on.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:19 pm

Yea, median from UT is def big law eligible, but you've gotta be smart about it. You arnt getting Baker Botts Austin or whatever. Like Bigzuck said, I'd rely on Houston much more than you are. You seem to have no Houston firms and thats dangerous. Also mass mail and do the NYC job fair thing if you are big law anywhere or bust.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:20 pm

You don't have the grades to have a "no Houston" attitude.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:57 pm

timmyd wrote:Yea, median from UT is def big law eligible, but you've gotta be smart about it. You arnt getting Baker Botts Austin or whatever. Like Bigzuck said, I'd rely on Houston much more than you are. You seem to have no Houston firms and thats dangerous. Also mass mail and do the NYC job fair thing if you are big law anywhere or bust.

I agree with mass mailing every big law firm out there and doing NYC if you're big law or bust.

I'd also fill out your bidlist with a lot of the smaller firms in your desired market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:16 pm

OP Here,

I'm not "biglaw or bust" at all so that's why I'm excluding Houston (I don't have significant debt + don't have nothing against Houston I just know I would prefer to live in Dallas or Austin).I know Houston biglaw is generally softer to get into, but I just think if I have a shot at biglaw in the slightest I'd rather just go all out for Dallas over Houston, and I am more than happy taking some midsize firms (ie, Fox Rothschild, Dykema, strasburger, etc. I know there are a decent amount) over biglaw in Houston.

Do people think that a 3.4 won't be enough to secure smaller-midsized in Dallas? Generally curious if people have had trouble in the past or heard anecdotal stories. I know the market isn't what it used to be, but UT has been doing better each year. If it really seems that scary not to add Houston I'll add it but hesitant to do so unless I need to. Browsing through the OCI thread for last year it seemed that it wasn't crazy at all to think biglaw, let alone mid-small, in Dallas there with a 3.4

I should add I have family ties to Dallas and SO already has job there. I do plan on mass mailing everywhere and *certain job fairs, just trying to get the OCI list down pat.

But good points about Austin. I guess it is just too damn tough to get into, even top third isn't a safe bet. I'll keep maybe Gjerset and Naman, and Thompson Coe in case things go afoul, but I'll drop those bigger firms, which will make me feel more comfortable with Dallas firms up top.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:43 pm

The group of people I know might not be at all representative, but I know many who are a part of the unwashed top 3rd masses and most got maybe one or two offers or none at all.

I think the expectation for a median student would be to strike out. I don't mean end up at Strasburger Dallas. I mean zero offers from OCI.

I think you're way overestimating your chances here. I'm not saying that to be mean or to scare you, I just think you need to adjust your expectations and strategy accordingly. The Strasburgers of the world aren't your back up. They are your targets. You need to bid smart and interview well and hope that luck works in your favor to get something from OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:54 pm

BigZuck wrote:I think you're way overestimating your chances here. I'm not saying that to be mean or to scare you, I just think you need to adjust your expectations and strategy accordingly. The Strasburgers of the world aren't your back up. They are your targets. You need to bid smart and interview well and hope that luck works in your favor to get something from OCI.

+1

Your bidlist looks like someone's who graded on to TLR. Make sure you're managing expectations and bidding really carefully.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:18 pm

OP Here,

I think I needed a bit of a reality check but yeah thanks for all the info this was definitely NOT going to be the list I sent in and I was looking for harsh critiques. I think I'm going to keep a some of the Dallas biglaw (maybe 5 of them) up there with lower GPA requirements (in hopes of lottery interviews in which they won't be too adverse to giving a CB) and fill up the rest with mid-sized. I'll throw in some Houston I guess as well just to be safe from what people are saying. Although I'd really really prefer to live in Dallas, graduating with a job > living in a city I'd prefer not to.

I did not want to give the impression that I thought Strasburger or similar firms were fallbacks in the slightest! Those are definitely my target firms, and biglaw is really just a hail mary. I think my biglaw/mid size ratio for bidding was just too out of wack and I needed to retweak it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Op Again,

Anyone care to critique an updated list for Dallas Area? I haven't included Houston firms yet as looking through them still, but I definitely feel better about where I'm bidding as of now. Have some random SF and LA as some times out there as well and figured why not.

I still have a few reach firms in my top 15 (NRF, Husch Blackwell, AK, Alston and Bird, LL, etc.) because while I am off their medians for preselects, I'm within their minimums, and figured if I got a lottery with them they would actually consider me still if I had a good interview. Might be totally wrong about that though so open to thoughts.

26/60 (still have a fair amount to add)

1. Bracewell & Giuliani LLP (Dallas)
2. Winstead PC (Dallas)
3. Norton Rose Fulbright (Dallas)
4. Schiff Hardin (Dallas)
5. Strasburger & Price (Dallas)
6. Dykema Cox Smith (Dallas)
7. Munsch Hardt Kopf & Harr (Dallas)
8. Andrews Kurth (Dallas)
9. Alston & Bird (Dallas)
10. Locke Lorde (Dallas)
11. Haynes and Boone (Fort Worth)
12. Husch Blackwell (Dallas)
13. Fox Rothschild (Dallas)
14. Polsinelli (Dallas)
15. Gjerset & Lorenz (Austin)
16. Gray Reed & McGraw (Dallas)
17. Baron & Budd (Dallas)
18. Orrick Herrington and Sutcliffe (LA)
19. Sidley Austin LLP (Dallas)
20. O’Melveny & [deleted] LLP (SF)
22. Hartline Dacus Barger Dreyer (Dallas)
24. Lloyd Gosselink Rochelle & Townsend (Austin)
25. O’Melveny & [deleted] LLP (SF)
25. Thompson Coe Cousins & Irons (Austin)
26. Thompson Coe Cousins & Irons (Dallas)

Return to “Legal Employment”