Have you considered... Delaware?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:56 am

How receptive would the Big 4 be to someone applying as a 3L who turned down offers 2L?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:03 am

I am at median at a T25 and from Delaware and went to k-12 at the same school there, will the DE firms be receptive?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am at median at a T25 and from Delaware and went to k-12 at the same school there, will the DE firms be receptive?

Very, legitimate ties beyond the standard "Why Delaware" speech are so helpful. So many attorneys I've talked to and interviewed with in Delaware firms were either born and raised, or at least went to UD or Widener. It's not necessary. But they love it.

Also, DE firms are already moving, and have already begun hiring for next summer in some cases, so go go go with the mailings!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:57 am

I am from DE, but I didn't get ANY Delaware interviews from my bid list. So much for the Delaware Way :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am from DE, but I didn't get ANY Delaware interviews from my bid list. So much for the Delaware Way :(

Hustle and either visit hospitality suites or mass mail them. It's unfortunate, but shouldn't be insurmountable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am at median at a T25 and from Delaware and went to k-12 at the same school there, will the DE firms be receptive?

Very, legitimate ties beyond the standard "Why Delaware" speech are so helpful. So many attorneys I've talked to and interviewed with in Delaware firms were either born and raised, or at least went to UD or Widener. It's not necessary. But they love it.

Also, DE firms are already moving, and have already begun hiring for next summer in some cases, so go go go with the mailings!

Above anon here, I already hit the mailings (and mentioned my k-12 school in my cover letters about returning to Delaware). I legitimately went to law school wanting to return to Delaware but couldn't stomach Widener. Also.... you call it UD instead of UDel like the outsiders and I love you for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:33 pm

WTF is a hospitality suite? Can someone explain this to me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:38 pm

how much do the big four and skadden care about law review or other journals?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Above anon here, I already hit the mailings (and mentioned my k-12 school in my cover letters about returning to Delaware). I legitimately went to law school wanting to return to Delaware but couldn't stomach Widener. Also.... you call it UD instead of UDel like the outsiders and I love you for it.

That is rough about mailings being done. Are you pushing mainly Big 4, or also satellite offices?

Anonymous User wrote:WTF is a hospitality suite? Can someone explain this to me?

When firms come to OCI, they will often rent out a second room. In it there will be a couple of attorneys sitting to greet people and chat. You can bring a resume, chat them up, and net additional screener interviews that way.

Anonymous User wrote:how much do the big four and skadden care about law review or other journals?

It depends on the school level. Even lower T14 with decent grades may not need it for any. Lower schools it becomes more helpful. It's still a positive no matter where you attend though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Above anon here, I already hit the mailings (and mentioned my k-12 school in my cover letters about returning to Delaware). I legitimately went to law school wanting to return to Delaware but couldn't stomach Widener. Also.... you call it UD instead of UDel like the outsiders and I love you for it.

That is rough about mailings being done. Are you pushing mainly Big 4, or also satellite offices?

I hit the big 4 and then 3 satellite offices. It doesn't seem (from the websites) that other satellites are hiring summer classes in DE.

DELG

Postby DELG » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How receptive would the Big 4 be to someone applying as a 3L who turned down offers 2L?

depends what happened in the meantime

0heL

Postby 0heL » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:28 pm

can someone in this thread PM me about how to approach delaware firms in OCI? i really want to work in the philly/delaware area next summer but I'm not sure how i should phrase my pitch for Delaware

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:53 pm

Op about receiving offers 2L and reapplying 3L. Grades went up and received full time offer from summer firm in major market

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:06 pm

TT, top 10%, LR with no 'real' ties to wilmington.

I've spent time in New Castle county (friends/extended fam in Newark) and like it there. Is that a legit enough thing to talk about during interviews to show I have an interest in DE (i honestly do)?

I've got screeners with the Big 4 and wanna know the best way to attack this. I know a partner at one of the firms but im certainly not banking on them coming through.

EzraFitz

Postby EzraFitz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:11 pm

Last edited by EzraFitz on Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TT, top 10%, LR with no 'real' ties to wilmington.

I've spent time in New Castle county (friends/extended fam in Newark) and like it there. Is that a legit enough thing to talk about during interviews to show I have an interest in DE (i honestly do)?

I've got screeners with the Big 4 and wanna know the best way to attack this. I know a partner at one of the firms but im certainly not banking on them coming through.

I can say as someone with essentially no ties, but really wanting to work in the area, a good pitch is everything.

They want to KNOW that not only do you want to be in this area, but that you want to be there long term. Tell them how much you love the small town feel while still getting to do big city work. You love the thought of such a collegial and intelligent bar. Corporate work sounds awesome to you, and there is no better place to do it where you can still have a yard and raise a family. That's all good Delaware advice.

Philly I'm a little less prepared on, as I was really DE focused. But they are an extremely regional market, and take pride in that. So know that they like that they are Philly firms. And again, show you want to not only be there, but want to be there long term.

DELG

Postby DELG » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Op about receiving offers 2L and reapplying 3L. Grades went up and received full time offer from summer firm in major market

YOu're in great shape GL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:31 am

What's the norm for traveling for a CB to DE from NY? I see there's not a real airport near Wilmington but theres Philly which would be 25 miles away. Better to just take Amtrack? What if you're coming from Boston to DE?

One night hotel is included even though you could possibly make a long day trip?

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:56 am

Take the train from NY. Email the recruiter re: travel from Boston or ask a classmate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:02 am

Since DE is such a smaller market with a narrow practice focus; does the big 4 generally look for the same thing as conventional TLS wisdom says during CB's, i.e. fit, interest, etc.? Any advice for approaching DE CB's?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:47 pm

Bumping this given approaching callbacks.

Also, any word on Skadden Wilmington vs. Big 4, beyond the potential occurrence of literally being worked to death while at Skadden? Work environment, hours, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:51 pm

Those of you who have already had a screener with RLF/YCST/MNAT/PA/Any of the satelite offices in DE, have you heard back yet? I had a couple of screeners with these firms in early August (one satelite office, one with RLF/YCST/MNAT/PA) and I haven't heard back at all.

EDIT: I did also have a screener with a small local firm and I already got a ding from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those of you who have already had a screener with RLF/YCST/MNAT/PA/Any of the satelite offices in DE, have you heard back yet? I had a couple of screeners with these firms in early August (one satelite office, one with RLF/YCST/MNAT/PA) and I haven't heard back at all.

EDIT: I did also have a screener with a small local firm and I already got a ding from them.

Had screeners with the big 4 + skadden, heard back from 3/4 with callbacks and also have a cb scheduled with skadden. Mass mailed two smaller DE firms, one rejection and one 'sorry no summer program this year'.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Those of you who have already had a screener with RLF/YCST/MNAT/PA/Any of the satelite offices in DE, have you heard back yet? I had a couple of screeners with these firms in early August (one satelite office, one with RLF/YCST/MNAT/PA) and I haven't heard back at all.

Had screeners with the big 4 + skadden, heard back from 3/4 with callbacks and also have a cb scheduled with skadden. Mass mailed two smaller DE firms, one rejection and one 'sorry no summer program this year'.

Did you hear back from Young Conaway?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:46 pm

What percentage of CBs turn into offers at big 4? How are CBs at YCST? Fit and why delaware the most important factors?

Return to “Legal Employment”