Have you considered... Delaware?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Toni V
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Toni V » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote: Grew up in the Philly area and now in school here so I have a good sense for commute times/character of various areas.

I have a friend who lived right across the street from Penn Law (especially great location in the winter!). She said the lobby was usually packed in the AM since the place had a Starbucks. Not sure if this would work, just sayin’.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:14 pm

Any offers movement in the Wilmington offices?

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:22 pm

Know of at least 5 offers spread over 3 firms (2 were big 4) in Wilmington within the past 2 weeks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:08 pm

Do you know if any of these were at RLF?

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:42 am

Nope, I've only heard about PAC, MNAT, and Skadden, have no idea about YCST or RLF. Hope this helps.

User avatar
ronanOgara
Posts: 1554
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby ronanOgara » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:47 am

Toni V wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Grew up in the Philly area and now in school here so I have a good sense for commute times/character of various areas.

I have a friend who lived right across the street from Penn Law (especially great location in the winter!). She said the lobby was usually packed in the AM since the place had a Starbucks. Not sure if this would work, just sayin’.


Domussssssss

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nope, I've only heard about PAC, MNAT, and Skadden, have no idea about YCST or RLF. Hope this helps.


At a T20 where of the 4 (or 5 if we're counting Skadden...), only RLF and MNAT do OCI. Did pre-OCI CBs with PAC, RLF, and YCST.

Got dinged from YCST about a week ago.
Still no word from RLF one way or the other.
No information on RLF movement from anyone at my school who went through OCI.
Have a friend who did a CB at MNAT today.

Also know of a separate friend here with pre-OCI offers from Skadden and MNAT.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Is the DE bar clerkship requirement really 5 months of full-time work?

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 702
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby EzraFitz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the DE bar clerkship requirement really 5 months of full-time work?

Yes it is. 10-12 of the 21 weeks would be during a summer if you do a summer associate position, with 20-24 if you also were lucky enough to snag a 1L position. Even without the 1L position, the time you work from after the bar for the first few months will be plenty to get you sworn in at the December ceremony if you did at least one summer in DE.

MrT
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby MrT » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:41 pm

EzraFitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is the DE bar clerkship requirement really 5 months of full-time work?

Yes it is. 10-12 of the 21 weeks would be during a summer if you do a summer associate position, with 20-24 if you also were lucky enough to snag a 1L position. Even without the 1L position, the time you work from after the bar for the first few months will be plenty to get you sworn in at the December ceremony if you did at least one summer in DE.

On this point: will a Delaware firm consider applicants that are not barred in the state and allow them to work for the five months preceding the exam? More clearly, will the Delaware firm hire me and let me take the next exam?

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 702
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby EzraFitz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:47 pm

MrT wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is the DE bar clerkship requirement really 5 months of full-time work?

Yes it is. 10-12 of the 21 weeks would be during a summer if you do a summer associate position, with 20-24 if you also were lucky enough to snag a 1L position. Even without the 1L position, the time you work from after the bar for the first few months will be plenty to get you sworn in at the December ceremony if you did at least one summer in DE.

On this point: will a Delaware firm consider applicants that are not barred in the state and allow them to work for the five months preceding the exam? More clearly, will the Delaware firm hire me and let me take the next exam?

Yes, I know multiple people who lateralled, working their first year not barred in DE, and then taking the exam in July.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Any 1Ls hear back from YCST?

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any 1Ls hear back from YCST?


Yes

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any 1Ls hear back from YCST?


Yes


Congrats! CB or Offer? How long did it take to get a callback?

User avatar
DELG
Posts: 3019
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby DELG » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 am

EzraFitz wrote:
MrT wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is the DE bar clerkship requirement really 5 months of full-time work?

Yes it is. 10-12 of the 21 weeks would be during a summer if you do a summer associate position, with 20-24 if you also were lucky enough to snag a 1L position. Even without the 1L position, the time you work from after the bar for the first few months will be plenty to get you sworn in at the December ceremony if you did at least one summer in DE.

On this point: will a Delaware firm consider applicants that are not barred in the state and allow them to work for the five months preceding the exam? More clearly, will the Delaware firm hire me and let me take the next exam?

Yes, I know multiple people who lateralled, working their first year not barred in DE, and then taking the exam in July.

While I agree that it's NBD, you know MULTIPLE people who lateralled to DE? I'm surprised because in my entire time in DE I don't know anyone who lateral to a big 4 from outside DE.

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 702
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby EzraFitz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:23 pm

DELG wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
MrT wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is the DE bar clerkship requirement really 5 months of full-time work?

Yes it is. 10-12 of the 21 weeks would be during a summer if you do a summer associate position, with 20-24 if you also were lucky enough to snag a 1L position. Even without the 1L position, the time you work from after the bar for the first few months will be plenty to get you sworn in at the December ceremony if you did at least one summer in DE.

On this point: will a Delaware firm consider applicants that are not barred in the state and allow them to work for the five months preceding the exam? More clearly, will the Delaware firm hire me and let me take the next exam?

Yes, I know multiple people who lateralled, working their first year not barred in DE, and then taking the exam in July.

While I agree that it's NBD, you know MULTIPLE people who lateralled to DE? I'm surprised because in my entire time in DE I don't know anyone who lateral to a big 4 from outside DE.

Didn't say it was necessarily to the Big 4, just that they lateralled to DE haha. But point taken.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:53 pm

052220152 wrote:Do you need ties for Delaware


I have zero DE ties. Mass mailed a firm there, got invited in, and was given an offer. All I did was talk about how I want corporate and DE is the place to be for that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
052220152 wrote:Do you need ties for Delaware


I have zero DE ties. Mass mailed a firm there, got invited in, and was given an offer. All I did was talk about how I want corporate and DE is the place to be for that.


Can confirm, did the same (though with bk)


I'm an incoming first-year and I know most associates tend to live in/near Philly. Any recommendations for areas to look at? Looking to reduce commute as much as possible while still getting the benefits of city life.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 8170
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby los blancos » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Doesn't the tax situation make living in Philly a bad idea on a firm salary? Between DE, Wilmington, and Philly you're looking at forking over almost like 12% in local income taxes unless I'm missing something.

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 702
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby EzraFitz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:59 pm

los blancos wrote:Doesn't the tax situation make living in Philly a bad idea on a firm salary? Between DE, Wilmington, and Philly you're looking at forking over almost like 12% in local income taxes unless I'm missing something.

Yeah, I personally don't think living right in Philly is worth the city tax. There are plenty of places where you could be 15-20 both from work and the city.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:07 am

EzraFitz wrote:
los blancos wrote:Doesn't the tax situation make living in Philly a bad idea on a firm salary? Between DE, Wilmington, and Philly you're looking at forking over almost like 12% in local income taxes unless I'm missing something.

Yeah, I personally don't think living right in Philly is worth the city tax. There are plenty of places where you could be 15-20 both from work and the city.


This is the type of location I was looking to find, ideally. Somewhere close enough that neither are inconvenient

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 8170
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby los blancos » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:13 am

EzraFitz wrote:
los blancos wrote:Doesn't the tax situation make living in Philly a bad idea on a firm salary? Between DE, Wilmington, and Philly you're looking at forking over almost like 12% in local income taxes unless I'm missing something.

Yeah, I personally don't think living right in Philly is worth the city tax. There are plenty of places where you could be 15-20 both from work and the city.


The problem really is that you get hammered with the DE state tax (which is much higher than PA) and the Philly wage tax (which is much higher than Wilmington's, and [perhaps illegally] doesn't give you a credit for what you pay to Wilmington).

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:55 am

What firms are ''The Big 4" in DE?

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:What firms are ''The Big 4" in DE?


Richards, Layton & Finger
Potter, Anderson & Corroon
Morris, Nichols, Arsht & Tunnell
Young, Conaway, Stargatt & Taylor

Anonymous User
Posts: 287631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:29 am

Received an SA offer from RLF and wasn't even responded to by all the other ''big 4'' in DE. Strange since RLF seems to be #1 in DE (right?)

Is it easy to lateral out of DE after 1 year of work to west coast biglaw?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.