Have you considered... Delaware?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:35 pm

I can't imagine they would wait until next recruiting meeting to make calls, and that they would not have already made them. But I'm considering myself dinged besides reading tea leaves.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:26 am

Does YCST send dings after screener interviews?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:03 pm

I was a SA at one of the "big 4" this summer, and going over this thread, I wanted to put in my two cents to the questions I am able to answer.

In terms of "why Delaware," this thread's already hit the major reasons. Prestige/Sophisticated work, but suburban lifestyle. Small firm size also has its advantages. It's also relatively close to the beach. It seemed like a decent number of people working there actually went to there on occasion. The DE legal community prides itself on being small and polite, and it's actually the case. Also, if you really like playing softball, then boy are you in luck.

In terms of convincing firms that you want to go there, I'd say that "the area" is broader than I thought. I grew up 1.5 hours drive from Wilmington and my family still lives there, and that a "tie." I think it also helped that when I was asked where else I was looking at, I said that my other serious possibility was an offer from a Philly firm. Because you can lump Philly and Wilmington together geogrpahically, but since Wilmington pays more and is generally a better legal market (in my humble no-nothing SA opinion) they weren't afraid they'd lose me to Philly.

In terms of CB reimbursement, if you're day tripping, they'll just reimburse the train/whatever got you there, not a hotel. And because I always take one train earlier than the one I need to catch to get there on time, I had to wake up waaaay early to make Philly/Wilmington callbacks, but it was a small price to pay in the scheme of things.

In terms of the timeline, at least one of the big four keeps doing screeners way late into the school year, so if you haven't heard yet, you might be in a "hold" pile. I had my CB in October.

I'd also like to add that in terms of prestige, don't get hung up over the fact that your classmates are all about Vault and have never heard of "that finger firm." Attorneys who have actually been working in biglaw will have respect for the big four.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:22 pm

Thank you notes a yes or no in DE?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was a SA at one of the "big 4" this summer, and going over this thread, I wanted to put in my two cents to the questions I am able to answer.

In terms of "why Delaware," this thread's already hit the major reasons. Prestige/Sophisticated work, but suburban lifestyle. Small firm size also has its advantages. It's also relatively close to the beach. It seemed like a decent number of people working there actually went to there on occasion. The DE legal community prides itself on being small and polite, and it's actually the case. Also, if you really like playing softball, then boy are you in luck.

In terms of convincing firms that you want to go there, I'd say that "the area" is broader than I thought. I grew up 1.5 hours drive from Wilmington and my family still lives there, and that a "tie." I think it also helped that when I was asked where else I was looking at, I said that my other serious possibility was an offer from a Philly firm. Because you can lump Philly and Wilmington together geogrpahically, but since Wilmington pays more and is generally a better legal market (in my humble no-nothing SA opinion) they weren't afraid they'd lose me to Philly.

In terms of CB reimbursement, if you're day tripping, they'll just reimburse the train/whatever got you there, not a hotel. And because I always take one train earlier than the one I need to catch to get there on time, I had to wake up waaaay early to make Philly/Wilmington callbacks, but it was a small price to pay in the scheme of things.

In terms of the timeline, at least one of the big four keeps doing screeners way late into the school year, so if you haven't heard yet, you might be in a "hold" pile. I had my CB in October.

I'd also like to add that in terms of prestige, don't get hung up over the fact that your classmates are all about Vault and have never heard of "that finger firm." Attorneys who have actually been working in biglaw will have respect for the big four.


Thank you for your insight! Did the firm give you an offer at the end of the summer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:55 pm

Recent SA anon - yes, they gave me an offer. I *think* DE firms try to give 100% offers like NY, although smaller firm size might mean they are slightly more likely to no-offer if they think someone is true dead weight. But I'm just speculating and don't actually know.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:54 pm

PA offer yesterday, my cb was last week

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PA offer yesterday, my cb was last week


Congrats on the offer! The Delaware Way is not working in my favor it appears granted I probably dont have Big 4 qualifications anyway.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:PA offer yesterday, my cb was last week


Congrats on the offer! The Delaware Way is not working in my favor it appears granted I probably dont have Big 4 qualifications anyway.


Congrats. If we also had a CB but haven't heard do we think that the ding is on the way or are we on hold? Bummer, I thought the PA CB went real well too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:44 pm

i really enjoyed potter and i thought all of the interviews went well. hopefully those of us who havent heard are just on hold.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:10 pm

I also had a PA CB around two weeks ago that I thought went really well, and have heard nothing since. It seems the folks there are just very nice, which made the interview process enjoyable...it's both a blessing and a curse for tea leaf reading! My fingers are still crossed. Congrats on the offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PA offer yesterday, my cb was last week


Stats?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:44 pm

Thanks all! Very excited. And who knows if they offer all at once? Not in DE market specifically, but I've had several friends get offers even a week after other people got theirs. No reason to count yourself out before you even hear back!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:00 pm

Anyone that interviewed with Potter get the sense that it is an extremely nerdy firm? It's the only one I interviewed with in Delaware so maybe it's a Del thing, but I think it was radically different than interviews I've had in several other cities

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:05 pm

To above poster, yes.

Also, why I thought I would have been a good fit. :lol:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To above poster, yes.

Also, why I thought I would have been a good fit. :lol:


I mean I'm fine with a nerdy culture, but many times it was borderline aspie which I found off putting

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:34 pm

Any movement so far this week?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To above poster, yes.

Also, why I thought I would have been a good fit. :lol:


I mean I'm fine with a nerdy culture, but many times it was borderline aspie which I found off putting


Anyone else experienced this? Trying to feel out their culture a bit more

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Today I missed a call/VM from a Delaware firm (not Skadden) about "following up on my [CB] interview," which took place two weeks ago. By the time I called back, the person was unavailable. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I'm REALLY hoping it's an offer, because I would really really like an offer.... They wouldn't call and leave a VM telling me to call them, just to tell me no, right??

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Today I missed a call/VM from a Delaware firm (not Skadden) about "following up on my [CB] interview," which took place two weeks ago. By the time I called back, the person was unavailable. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I'm REALLY hoping it's an offer, because I would really really like an offer.... They wouldn't call and leave a VM telling me to call them, just to tell me no, right??


Offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Today I missed a call/VM from a Delaware firm (not Skadden) about "following up on my [CB] interview," which took place two weeks ago. By the time I called back, the person was unavailable. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I'm REALLY hoping it's an offer, because I would really really like an offer.... They wouldn't call and leave a VM telling me to call them, just to tell me no, right??


Offer.


that's almost 100% what my voicemail from one of the big 4 was. it was an offer

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Today I missed a call/VM from a Delaware firm (not Skadden) about "following up on my [CB] interview," which took place two weeks ago. By the time I called back, the person was unavailable. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I'm REALLY hoping it's an offer, because I would really really like an offer.... They wouldn't call and leave a VM telling me to call them, just to tell me no, right??


Can you say who? Of if not, could you say if it was RLF or PA?

geraffe
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:57 pm

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby geraffe » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Today I missed a call/VM from a Delaware firm (not Skadden) about "following up on my [CB] interview," which took place two weeks ago. By the time I called back, the person was unavailable. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I'm REALLY hoping it's an offer, because I would really really like an offer.... They wouldn't call and leave a VM telling me to call them, just to tell me no, right??


Can you say who? Of if not, could you say if it was RLF or PA?


It was PA, and it did end up being an offer (hooray). Canceling my MNAT and YCST CBs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Anyone have CB with RLF last week and hear back?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273380
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:14 pm

Opinions on large firms with satellite offices in Wilmington (i.e. Pepper, Fox, etc.)?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.