Have you considered... Delaware? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Toni V

Bronze

Re: Have you considered... Delaware?

Post by Toni V » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote: Grew up in the Philly area and now in school here so I have a good sense for commute times/character of various areas.
I have a friend who lived right across the street from Penn Law (especially great location in the winter!). She said the lobby was usually packed in the AM since the place had a Starbucks. Not sure if this would work, just sayin’.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:14 pm

Any offers movement in the Wilmington offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:22 pm

Know of at least 5 offers spread over 3 firms (2 were big 4) in Wilmington within the past 2 weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:08 pm

Do you know if any of these were at RLF?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:42 am

Nope, I've only heard about PAC, MNAT, and Skadden, have no idea about YCST or RLF. Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:47 am

Toni V wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Grew up in the Philly area and now in school here so I have a good sense for commute times/character of various areas.
I have a friend who lived right across the street from Penn Law (especially great location in the winter!). She said the lobby was usually packed in the AM since the place had a Starbucks. Not sure if this would work, just sayin’.
Domussssssss

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nope, I've only heard about PAC, MNAT, and Skadden, have no idea about YCST or RLF. Hope this helps.
At a T20 where of the 4 (or 5 if we're counting Skadden...), only RLF and MNAT do OCI. Did pre-OCI CBs with PAC, RLF, and YCST.

Got dinged from YCST about a week ago.
Still no word from RLF one way or the other.
No information on RLF movement from anyone at my school who went through OCI.
Have a friend who did a CB at MNAT today.

Also know of a separate friend here with pre-OCI offers from Skadden and MNAT.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Is the DE bar clerkship requirement really 5 months of full-time work?

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the DE bar clerkship requirement really 5 months of full-time work?
Yes it is. 10-12 of the 21 weeks would be during a summer if you do a summer associate position, with 20-24 if you also were lucky enough to snag a 1L position. Even without the 1L position, the time you work from after the bar for the first few months will be plenty to get you sworn in at the December ceremony if you did at least one summer in DE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:41 pm

EzraFitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is the DE bar clerkship requirement really 5 months of full-time work?
Yes it is. 10-12 of the 21 weeks would be during a summer if you do a summer associate position, with 20-24 if you also were lucky enough to snag a 1L position. Even without the 1L position, the time you work from after the bar for the first few months will be plenty to get you sworn in at the December ceremony if you did at least one summer in DE.
On this point: will a Delaware firm consider applicants that are not barred in the state and allow them to work for the five months preceding the exam? More clearly, will the Delaware firm hire me and let me take the next exam?

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:47 pm

MrT wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
On this point: will a Delaware firm consider applicants that are not barred in the state and allow them to work for the five months preceding the exam? More clearly, will the Delaware firm hire me and let me take the next exam?
Yes, I know multiple people who lateralled, working their first year not barred in DE, and then taking the exam in July.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Any 1Ls hear back from YCST?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any 1Ls hear back from YCST?
Yes

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any 1Ls hear back from YCST?
Yes
Congrats! CB or Offer? How long did it take to get a callback?

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 am

EzraFitz wrote:
MrT wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
Yes, I know multiple people who lateralled, working their first year not barred in DE, and then taking the exam in July.
While I agree that it's NBD, you know MULTIPLE people who lateralled to DE? I'm surprised because in my entire time in DE I don't know anyone who lateral to a big 4 from outside DE.

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:23 pm

DELG wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
MrT wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
While I agree that it's NBD, you know MULTIPLE people who lateralled to DE? I'm surprised because in my entire time in DE I don't know anyone who lateral to a big 4 from outside DE.
Didn't say it was necessarily to the Big 4, just that they lateralled to DE haha. But point taken.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:53 pm

052220152 wrote:Do you need ties for Delaware
I have zero DE ties. Mass mailed a firm there, got invited in, and was given an offer. All I did was talk about how I want corporate and DE is the place to be for that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
052220152 wrote:Do you need ties for Delaware
I have zero DE ties. Mass mailed a firm there, got invited in, and was given an offer. All I did was talk about how I want corporate and DE is the place to be for that.
Can confirm, did the same (though with bk)

I'm an incoming first-year and I know most associates tend to live in/near Philly. Any recommendations for areas to look at? Looking to reduce commute as much as possible while still getting the benefits of city life.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Doesn't the tax situation make living in Philly a bad idea on a firm salary? Between DE, Wilmington, and Philly you're looking at forking over almost like 12% in local income taxes unless I'm missing something.

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:59 pm

los blancos wrote:Doesn't the tax situation make living in Philly a bad idea on a firm salary? Between DE, Wilmington, and Philly you're looking at forking over almost like 12% in local income taxes unless I'm missing something.
Yeah, I personally don't think living right in Philly is worth the city tax. There are plenty of places where you could be 15-20 both from work and the city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:07 am

EzraFitz wrote:
los blancos wrote:Doesn't the tax situation make living in Philly a bad idea on a firm salary? Between DE, Wilmington, and Philly you're looking at forking over almost like 12% in local income taxes unless I'm missing something.
Yeah, I personally don't think living right in Philly is worth the city tax. There are plenty of places where you could be 15-20 both from work and the city.
This is the type of location I was looking to find, ideally. Somewhere close enough that neither are inconvenient

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:13 am

EzraFitz wrote:
The problem really is that you get hammered with the DE state tax (which is much higher than PA) and the Philly wage tax (which is much higher than Wilmington's, and [perhaps illegally] doesn't give you a credit for what you pay to Wilmington).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:55 am

What firms are ''The Big 4" in DE?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:What firms are ''The Big 4" in DE?
Richards, Layton & Finger
Potter, Anderson & Corroon
Morris, Nichols, Arsht & Tunnell
Young, Conaway, Stargatt & Taylor

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:29 am

Received an SA offer from RLF and wasn't even responded to by all the other ''big 4'' in DE. Strange since RLF seems to be #1 in DE (right?)

Is it easy to lateral out of DE after 1 year of work to west coast biglaw?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”