Weil Pre-OCI callbacks?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Weil Pre-OCI callbacks?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:12 am

To those who have received pre-oci callbacks from Weil, either in previous years or this year, when did they come? Upon the initial rejection for a 1L summer associate position? Or did they reach out over the summer, and if so when? Via snail mail, email, or phone? Also, do you happen to know if everyone with a 1L callback got them, or only a select number?

Many thanks - Our bid deadline is fast approaching, and I would love to know if I could skip bidding on them.

BigZuck

Re: Weil Pre-OCI callbacks?

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:18 am

If they offered you a callback I would reach out to the firm and ask about that. I think that's reasonable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:38 am

You think? I am leaning towards emailing, but I'm not sure if I should straight out and "ask" for a callback. Do you not think that would be too aggressive? In my mind, there are two options I'm considering:

1) The more aggressive approach: Say that I was told by current 2L Weill SA's from my school that people with 1L callbacks were given pre-oci callbacks. Ask about timing, for planning purposes. Add that the unpredictability of the lottery system has me nervous and that's why I'm asking.

2) The soft-sell approach: Reiterate my interest in the firm. Provide my updated resume and transcript.

Of course, I am still hoping to hear from people with (whether direct or anecdotal/second hand) information on when these were given out previous years. Knowing where I stand colors the type of email I'd send. If everyone with 1L callbacks get 2L-pre-oci callbacks, I'll probably go more aggressive/matter-of-fact.

If only a portion do, and have already gotten them, I'll know that I've been snubbed. In that case, do you think I should take the more modest approach of updating with grades, or go with the more aggressive approach of straight-out asking anyway? And of course, there's the possibility of some mixture: that they just come later in the summer, whether or not everyone gets them, and...well I don't really know how I'd approach emailing in that case. Subtly imply that it'd be awesome if they could reassure me? Mention the unpredictability of the lottery system? I'd have to mull that over, and I'd appreciate any advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:48 am

I was told in my 1L ding letter that they would reach out to me to schedule a pre-OCI callback sometime in late-summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:36 am

Last year they emailed me on July 10th with an invitation to pick a date for my CB in late July.

ETA: Just saw your second post... did they tell you they wanted to give you a 2L CB when they dinged you (like the above anon)? Because I know my year they didn't extend CBs to everyone that did 1L CBs, so if they didn't bring it up you don't have one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:08 am

Yeah, that was essentially my question: If not everyone got an auto-callback, and when/how this was communicated to them. So 2nd anon, you also were told in the ding letter that you'd have a callback later?

I'll have to dig out my physical ding letter and double check, but I'm 95% sure it didn't say I had an auto-callback or I would have remembered. That's a little disappointing, but understandable - I had a great callback, but was given the callback pre-1L fall grades, which were...mediocre at best. But my grades drastically improved 2nd semester.

Anons/bigzuck/anyone, mind weighing in on an email approach that might help me get a pre-oci callback, given the improvement with grades? Should I mention that I've heard of this practice from current 2L SAs (which I have) and ask about it? Or is that too aggressive, and I should just email an update and point out the grade jump?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:52 pm

Any takers? Is mentioning pre-oci callbacks in the email too aggressive, or just fine? (HALP)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:23 pm

Don't know about Weil, but my pre-OCI callback firms asked me to email them in early July to schedule the appointments. I'm contacting them July 1.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:30 am

I have a pre-OGI call back lined up for early next week. I was offered a call back with them during 1L job hunting, but was not able to attend the call back as I had a pending deadline elsewhere - but I told them that I would do my best to visit during the summer. I emailed the firm a few weeks ago to demonstrate my continued interest and to let them know the dates I would be in town, and would love the opportunity to visit the firm. The recruiting director arranged it into a formal call back process from there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:23 am

Did anyone else get the email a few weeks ago about scheduling callbacks for mid-August? Interesting that they seem to be combining these CBs with the normal ones.

LawFirmInterviews

Postby LawFirmInterviews » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:30 am

There are Pre-OCI callbacks at almost every major firm in the city now. At ours, a V15, callbacks are directly communicated by phone from human resources, or to you by the referrer. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Return to “Legal Employment”