Need advice on how to approach requesting 2L summer split

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need advice on how to approach requesting 2L summer split

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm a rising 2L and would like some advice on how to approach my particular situation. This summer I have been working with a biglaw firm in Dallas, and I'm happy to say I've really enjoyed working at the firm and with the people at the firm. Although I don't believe I will receive an offer to come back until the end of the summer, I'm fairly confident that I will receive an offer to come back, and that that offer will request that I spend at least six weeks at the start of the summer with the firm next summer.

Here's where I need some advice. Dallas has not been a bad place to live this summer, but I've had my heart set on working in DC after graduation since before law school. Would it be out of line/not a good idea to request splitting my summer with the firm's DC office? And if not, how do I approach this? To make matters a bit more complicated, my second semester of law school did not quite go to plan at all, and has set me back from top 33% or so to barely top 50% (at Vandy/Texas). I know my firm (almost) definitely won't factor grades into their decision to ask me to come back for 2L summer, but I'd imagine they might if I asked to split with one of their other offices (maybe someone can shed some light on this tho).

Be gentle (I know I am very lucky to even have a potential 2L SA given my rather awful second semester), but be honest too. Thanks.

TL;DR Will likely be spending first six weeks of next summer with my 1L SA firm in Dallas. Should I request a split with their office in DC, and if so, how?

filibuster

Re: Need advice on how to approach requesting 2L summer split

Postby filibuster » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:59 pm

I would not risk it. Go through OCI and bid all DC knowing that you have the Dallas firm in your back pocket. If nobody in DC bites on you during OCI, go back to your firm in Dallas and get a full-time offer.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:06 pm

With your grades I definitely wouldn't risk it. You're in a good position right now and shouldn't mess it up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dallas has not been a bad place to live this summer, but I've had my heart set on working in DC after graduation since before law school. Would it be out of line/not a good idea to request splitting my summer with the firm's DC office? And if not, how do I approach this? To make matters a bit more complicated, my second semester of law school did not quite go to plan at all, and has set me back from top 33% or so to barely top 50% (at Vandy/Texas).

I have some experience with this and have heard of it being done. I'm at a Dallas firm right now as well so there's really two variables you need to look at. (1) The strength of the DC office of your firm. Firms like Gibson Dunn or Sidley Austin might be able to accommodate this request. Haynes Boone or Baker Botts, might be more difficult (especially since it would signal you're not committed to TX). (2) Vandy or Texas. Vandy has a pretty strong DC presence, and top third DC biglaw is possible, top half is unlikely (but happens, depending on URM or other extra stuff). I'm not sure about UT's presence in DC, so I can't speak to cutoffs there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks to everyone that has responded. I'm leaning on not risking it, but would love to keep hearing from people who have experience with this kind of thing or have a reasoned argument for why it might not be a bad idea to request a 2L (same firm) summer split.

Anonymous User wrote:I have some experience with this and have heard of it being done. I'm at a Dallas firm right now as well so there's really two variables you need to look at. (1) The strength of the DC office of your firm. Firms like Gibson Dunn or Sidley Austin might be able to accommodate this request. Haynes Boone or Baker Botts, might be more difficult (especially since it would signal you're not committed to TX). (2) Vandy or Texas. Vandy has a pretty strong DC presence, and top third DC biglaw is possible, top half is unlikely (but happens, depending on URM or other extra stuff). I'm not sure about UT's presence in DC, so I can't speak to cutoffs there.

(1) Strength of the DC office of my firm: Our DC office is probably in our top 3 biggest offices, so I don't think it'd be too difficult for them to accomodate me. However, I am concerned that it would seem as though I was not committed to TX, especially since every 2L summer associate in this year's class is not splitting their summer.

(2) Texas. We have a presence, though I do not think it is as strong as Vandy's.

Return to “Legal Employment”