Name-dropping junior associates in a cover letter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ex_nunc

Name-dropping junior associates in a cover letter?

Postby ex_nunc » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:20 pm

I'm currently working on OCI cover letters. During the school year, I made a point to become acquainted with recent alumni at a few of the firms that traditionally hire from my school. Assuming I have their permission to do so, is it worth dropping those names in a cover letter, so long as it's couched as a way of demonstrating my legitimate interest in the firm?
Last edited by ex_nunc on Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Re: Name-dropping junior associates in a cover letter?

Postby rpupkin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:38 pm

ex_nunc wrote:I'm currently working on OCI cover letters. During the school year, I made a point to become acquainted with recent alumni at a few of the firms that traditionally hire from my school Assuming I have their permission to do so, is it worth dropping those names in a cover letter, so long as it's couched as a way of demonstrating my legitimate interest in the firm?

I don't think this helps unless the junior associate knows you well and can recommend you. And if those things are true, you should ask the junior associate to send your application to recruiting. Mere name dropping in a cover letter isn't going to get you anywhere.

ex_nunc

Postby ex_nunc » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks. Follow-up question: worth noting that I attended firm events for 1Ls?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:53 pm

ex_nunc wrote:Thanks. Follow-up question: worth noting that I attended firm events for 1Ls?

It won't hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:00 pm

How is this for showing demonstrated interest. For example a Notre Dame kid trying to go to Minneapolis or a Duke kid trying to go West coast?

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:07 pm

if you're close enough with the junior associate to make name-dropping worth it, you're close enough to ask him/her to pass on your resume/cover letter to legal recruiting themselves

way more effective

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:28 pm

it seems kind of weird to name drop in a cover letter and what runinthefront said

fxb3

Postby fxb3 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:47 pm

V15 interviewer here. Doesn't hurt to mention the associates' names in the cover letter. Might not help much, but it doesn't hurt.

At my firm, I know that doing that will get the associate on the list of people who are more or less on your "notification list" for the firm, so they'll be told when/if you get an interview, callback, etc. and will have the opportunity to chime in (whether it's "Good, I met this guy through a mutual friend and he seems really great!" or "He really hounded me to meet for coffee and was insufferable"). And if you are right on the cusp of an interview, my firm's hiring people might contact the associate and ask, "hey, this guy mentioned you in his letter, do you really think he would be a fit for us?" So go for it.

I've never really heard of someone submitting an application "through" an associate. Even if one of my best friends wanted to apply to my firm I would tell them to just send it straight to legal recruiting and I would weigh in with the hiring committee separately. But YMMV.

Return to “Legal Employment”