Lateral LA to SF

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral LA to SF

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:14 pm

Working at a large nonvault law firm right now doing IP. Grades were so-so (wrote onto law review) at a low T1/midT2 in Norcal.

Been an associate at firm firm almost 2 years now. Initially the work was great. Interesting cases and great role on each case. Work in our group then started to show down a bit so some partners accepted work from other groups (Products, Employment, Construction). It's been like this for 7-8 months now. Don't like the work I am doing now at all. Talked to my group head and my partner about this and they said they don't know what to do. I was thinking about lateraling to another firm, and because of my connections, desired specialization, and overall QoL, I think SF would be the best location.

1.Coming from a non-Vault big firm, how difficult would it be to get into a Vault firm that does IP in SF? I have 2 years of IP litigation experience.

2. Should I use a recruiter? What should I reasonably expect in terms of interviews?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral LA to SF

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Working at a large nonvault law firm right now doing IP. Grades were so-so (wrote onto law review) at a low T1/midT2 in Norcal.

Been an associate at firm firm almost 2 years now. Initially the work was great. Interesting cases and great role on each case. Work in our group then started to show down a bit so some partners accepted work from other groups (Products, Employment, Construction). It's been like this for 7-8 months now. Don't like the work I am doing now at all. Talked to my group head and my partner about this and they said they don't know what to do. I was thinking about lateraling to another firm, and because of my connections, desired specialization, and overall QoL, I think SF would be the best location.

1.Coming from a non-Vault big firm, how difficult would it be to get into a Vault firm that does IP in SF? I have 2 years of IP litigation experience.

2. Should I use a recruiter? What should I reasonably expect in terms of interviews?

Thanks!

I just did this. IP lit. non vault law firm lateral over to vault law firm. I lateraled over to SF from midwest as a second year. It depends on your specialization. If you have a specialty and the law firm is hiring for that speciality, then you should be able to lateral over with some ease. Do you have a technical degree? If so, I think that helps significantly. I was using a recruiter concurrently while also applying to individual firms on my own. The job I landed was on my own. I did not have much luck with the recruiters.

Whole process took about two months from phone interview, call back, clearing conflicts, and getting offer. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:37 pm

Well that's very encouraging. I don't have a technical degree but I am just a few classes short. I was Pre-Med in undergrad before stopping senior year. How were your grades? ALso, what kind of questions did they ask you in the interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:20 pm

Anybody?

Return to “Legal Employment”