WUSTL EIW + Off campus Programs 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many screeners did you get from WUSTL programs?

Poll runs till Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:52 pm

20%
1-3
12%
3-7
32%
7-12
8%
12-20
8%
20-30
12%
30+
8%

Total votes: 25

Jmart082

Re: WUSTL EIW + Off campus Programs 2015

Postby Jmart082 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:20 am

[quote="MtheG"]I am comforted by the fact that it appears like some of the more egregiously awful personalities in the class are transferring.

THANK THE LORD

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:40 am

So many fairs so little time. Are people doubling NY?

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:So many fairs so little time. Are people doubling NY?

If you have any intention of working in NY, you should definitely go to both and apply to all the firms each day even if there is overlap.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:41 pm

when there's overlap in employers, should i submit the same/similar materials both times? or should i make them different, or only submit my cover letter once, etc?

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when there's overlap in employers, should i submit the same/similar materials both times? or should i make them different, or only submit my cover letter once, etc?

Submits the same materials twice. I thought most of the NY firms didn't ask for a cover letter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:26 pm

Where are the people in the top 20-top third going generally(placement wise)? Since apparently were shutout from alot of New York.

lososos

Postby lososos » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:31 pm

WheatThins wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:when there's overlap in employers, should i submit the same/similar materials both times? or should i make them different, or only submit my cover letter once, etc?

Submits the same materials twice. I thought most of the NY firms didn't ask for a cover letter?

a handful of them do, including some of the overlapped employers. also i know my cso advisor (and i've heard other students say theirs suggested this, too) said that for those that don't have a slot for a cover letter, it can just be added as a second page of our resume document. is this smart to do? it doesn't seem like it can hurt, anyway, even if it doesn't have a high likelihood of helping very much either.

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:18 pm

lososos wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

a handful of them do, including some of the overlapped employers. also i know my cso advisor (and i've heard other students say theirs suggested this, too) said that for those that don't have a slot for a cover letter, it can just be added as a second page of our resume document. is this smart to do? it doesn't seem like it can hurt, anyway, even if it doesn't have a high likelihood of helping very much either.

The CSO advisors are actually recommending that? Thats actually kind of messed up since its a multi-school consortium.

lososos

Postby lososos » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:30 pm

chingwoo wrote:
lososos wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

The CSO advisors are actually recommending that? Thats actually kind of messed up since its a multi-school consortium.

yeah... what does that have to do with it's being a consortium? i don't follow.

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm

lososos wrote:yeah... what does that have to do with it's being a consortium? i don't follow.

My thinking goes like->

When an employer restricts what materials they see, they are creating a set universe for people to compete in. Some students may figure out that they can expand the universe artificially by bundling in cover letters. I think thats perfectly harmless.

However, the CSO advisors are actively undercutting the other schools in the consortium by advising students to bundle cover letters in rather than letting students organically figure that out. Basically they are creating a larger universe for WUSTL versus the rest of the consortium whom we have agreements with and shit. I think of it like trying to undercut all of your partners in a business transaction or something like that. No real big deal though, the cover letters are probably negligible since the employer didn't originally want them.

lososos

Postby lososos » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:14 pm

chingwoo wrote:
lososos wrote:yeah... what does that have to do with it's being a consortium? i don't follow.

My thinking goes like->

When an employer restricts what materials they see, they are creating a set universe for people to compete in. Some students may figure out that they can expand the universe artificially by bundling in cover letters. I think thats perfectly harmless.

However, the CSO advisors are actively undercutting the other schools in the consortium by advising students to bundle cover letters in rather than letting students organically figure that out. Basically they are creating a larger universe for WUSTL versus the rest of the consortium whom we have agreements with and shit. I think of it like trying to undercut all of your partners in a business transaction or something like that. No real big deal though, the cover letters are probably negligible since the employer didn't originally want them.

Oh ok I see what you mean. I think I was really unclear, which is my bad... My CSO didn't volunteer that suggestion until I specifically asked, and the same is true of the couple other people who've heard it as well. So it's more in line with the student-realization you pointed out, and just vetted by CSO, rather than CSO actively promoting it.

(FWIW I think also that they probably wouldn't care too much anyway, since their job is literally to give us advice that will get us jobs, but I can certainly see how it could look a little sketchy.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where are the people in the top 20-top third going generally(placement wise)? Since apparently were shutout from alot of New York.

Definitely can strike out from the top 20. But you also have a shot at any nyc firm except Wachtell. It'll depend on your interview preparation at that point. Should have a solid amount of screeners.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Where are the people in the top 20-top third going generally(placement wise)? Since apparently were shutout from alot of New York.

Definitely can strike out from the top 20. But you also have a shot at any nyc firm except Wachtell. It'll depend on your interview preparation at that point. Should have a solid amount of screeners.

What about the top 20 through top third type people? I heard New York was the place to go for those types but from the sounds of it, its a shitshow for bids.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:33 pm

I've bid/am bidding:

Through WUSTL:
New York Program(both of them)
Dallas, Houston
Chicago Program
EIW: St. Louis firms, Chicago firms, Ohio firms, Texas firms.

Top third no Journal.

-2chainz

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:27 pm

chingwoo wrote:

My thinking goes like->

I would follow your line of thinking if everyone was a special snowflake and a cover letter would make a difference.

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:42 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
chingwoo wrote:

My thinking goes like->

I would follow your line of thinking if everyone was a special snowflake and a cover letter would make a difference.

I think a cover letter would make a difference if only like 10-20% of students had them versus everyone submitting them. The value of the letter goes down as more people send them in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:47 pm

Checking in. Just outside top third (but no dean's list), didn't do write on. I bid several cities EIW, and am bidding three cities for the off campus stuff. Also will be mass mailing several cities, putting a special emphasis on the only three firms in my home market that are decent size. All this being said, I'm completely prepared to not get any screeners and start gunning fed gov hard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:09 am

Checking in. Top third. Mainly doing networking for interviews though since my markets don't come to WUSTL's OCI. Hustle guys, many firms have already begun extending screeners and callbacks. You could have an offer before EIW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Anyone get that Baker Mckenzie Email?

- Elton John

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:16 pm

Yeah I did. Did they say anything about having to fill out the online app ahead of time?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:35 pm

I got it too. I'm assuming it's just cause the online app compiles info for them and they don't want to do it by hand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:39 am

I was hoping I was a special snowflake.

-Rihanna

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:07 pm

July 13,14 and July 20 is when all the bids come out.

-Bob marley

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:55 am

Going off the SEMW results, I should have transferred.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:00 am

Are all of the Semw results out yet? Didn't fare too well either

Return to “Legal Employment”