WUSTL EIW + Off campus Programs 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many screeners did you get from WUSTL programs?

Poll runs till Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:52 pm

20%
1-3
12%
3-7
32%
7-12
8%
12-20
8%
20-30
12%
30+
8%

Total votes: 25

Anonymous User

Re: WUSTL EIW + Off campus Programs 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:13 pm

I'm getting gaped by EIW/SEMW/MCGC. Jesus.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:15 pm

Dear firms,

Why don't you like me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:32 pm

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't have sent all the firms nudes as my cover letter...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:49 pm

Any more news? What about the other STL firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:50 pm

Dear Club WUSTL,

I've enjoyed the club so far, I really have. However, I am dismayed at my inability to meet pretty firms. I know these firms would like me if they did meet me. But thanks to your large national draw of 39 firms, there is not alot of these beauties at the ball. I don't mind the 17 Missouri farm-firms, but yall seem to be looking for a country lawyer.

On your preslect system, my dad bod is not impressing versus team #nodaysoff. I think your preselect system is objectifying and we should play some lottery icebreakers instead. Maybe I would have a chance to dance with a nice firm at least for a bit and hopefully my personality would shine through. Unfortunately however, I'm relegated to picking my nose in the corner with the other 150 people in my class.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have paid the cover to go to one of the more exclusive dance halls such as Georgetown or Michigan when I realized I would never be able to even meet the talent at WUSTL. While I thought your club was a bargain, with the reduced cover for VIPs, little did I know that everyone is a VIP at Club WUSTL.

Thankfully I met some firms on OkCupid and we now have some dates planned out throughout the fall. Hopefully one of those will turn out great! Maybe I will be able to have a summer fling with one of these dates. Who knows I guess I could also pay to go to your VIP-VIP section for a LLM but it seems there are even fewer firms up there.

Best, semi-disgruntled patron

P.S. I'm writing unemployed on my ABA report.

P.P.S. You should look at getting new bouncers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any more news? What about the other STL firms?

Armstrong Teasdale is out apparently.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:56 pm

First, above post is phenomenal.

Second, adding Gilmore & Bell.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:06 pm

Strangely I had much better success with MCGC. I have 5 firm invites so far, 3 of which are alternates...hopefully I'll have more success as the decisions roll out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what the odds are of ending up with an interview if you start out as an alternate?

I don't think there is any rhyme or reason....it just depends on if anyone who gets an interview declines

I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to any part of this process. Between EIW, MCGC and SEMW I've scored interviews with firms that were a complete reach and been snubbed by firms that should have been a "safety" or at least a decent shot. There is no method to this madness!!!

One minute I'm super happy that I got something and the next I'm thinking "how the hell did I not get that?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Strangely I had much better success with MCGC. I have 5 firm invites so far, 3 of which are alternates...hopefully I'll have more success as the decisions roll out.

Surprised by this, MCGC was rough for me outside of NYC but I'm doing much better this time. Did you have ties to a particular MCGC market you did well in or are your stats wonky in any way (Say, high gpa but crap contracts grade perhaps) that you think would result in this outcome? EIW is by all accounts from the elders supposed to be far easier than the consortium's.

bluedolphin

Postby bluedolphin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dear Club WUSTL,

I've enjoyed the club so far, I really have. However, I am dismayed at my inability to meet pretty firms. I know these firms would like me if they did meet me. But thanks to your large national draw of 39 firms, there is not alot of these beauties at the ball. I don't mind the 17 Missouri farm-firms, but yall seem to be looking for a country lawyer.

On your preslect system, my dad bod is not impressing versus team #nodaysoff. I think your preselect system is objectifying and we should play some lottery icebreakers instead. Maybe I would have a chance to dance with a nice firm at least for a bit and hopefully my personality would shine through. Unfortunately however, I'm relegated to picking my nose in the corner with the other 150 people in my class.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have paid the cover to go to one of the more exclusive dance halls such as Georgetown or Michigan when I realized I would never be able to even meet the talent at WUSTL. While I thought your club was a bargain, with the reduced cover for VIPs, little did I know that everyone is a VIP at Club WUSTL.

Thankfully I met some firms on OkCupid and we now have some dates planned out throughout the fall. Hopefully one of those will turn out great! Maybe I will be able to have a summer fling with one of these dates. Who knows I guess I could also pay to go to your VIP-VIP section for a LLM but it seems there are even fewer firms up there.

Can someone send this to CSO?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Strangely I had much better success with MCGC. I have 5 firm invites so far, 3 of which are alternates...hopefully I'll have more success as the decisions roll out.

Same. I'm thinking its because I'm from Chicago, and from what I've seen on here the Chicago firms haven't really been rolled out yet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Surprised by this, MCGC was rough for me outside of NYC but I'm doing much better this time. Did you have ties to a particular MCGC market you did well in or are your stats wonky in any way (Say, high gpa but crap contracts grade perhaps) that you think would result in this outcome? EIW is by all accounts from the elders supposed to be far easier than the consortium's.

I'm in the same boat as first anon. Much better at MCGC than EIW so far. No ties to any of the markets I applied to.

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dear Club WUSTL,

Amazing. Good luck to you

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm in the same boat as first anon. Much better at MCGC than EIW so far. No ties to any of the markets I applied to.

Not trying to be aggressive, but do you have a weird/interesting cover letter? Alot of the MCGC stuff was cover letter free so it might be that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not trying to be aggressive, but do you have a weird/interesting cover letter? Alot of the MCGC stuff was cover letter free so it might be that.

We should really use handles, these nested anon's are getting ridiculous. If you're referring to 2nd anon (Better at EIW than MCGC) then yeah, my cover letter is pretty interesting and highlights a lot of items my resume just mentions or glosses over. I wouldn't say its riveting by any stretch of the imagination, but probably not painfully dull like the CSO examples.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:23 pm

Where the hell is the TX OCI stuff? That stuff should have come out on Friday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Adding Monsanto.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where the hell is the TX OCI stuff? That stuff should have come out on Friday.

yeah waiting for this is getting annoying, esp when the recruiting doc they gave said it would be out a week ago

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:29 pm

I have a pretty standard cover letter and submitted it to several MCGC firms that pre-selected me. It was pretty much the same CL I sent to most of the EIW firms where I'm having noticeably less success, so I'm not sure it's a CL issue.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where the hell is the TX OCI stuff? That stuff should have come out on Friday.

If you're referring to the walk around, that was late last year as well. I think at least one firm dropped out and another only invited three people or something (and I only found that out by talking to CSO).

Also firms really don't care that much about cover letters. My impression is that the recruiter just scans it for 1) why do you want to be in this city, and 2) are you interested in the type of work that we do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a pretty standard cover letter and submitted it to several MCGC firms that pre-selected me. It was pretty much the same CL I sent to most of the EIW firms where I'm having noticeably less success, so I'm not sure it's a CL issue.

My CL is pretty good, definitely much better than the samples CSO provides. I personalize the letter for each firm, but the bulk of the info is the same for each.

But I'm the same as above. Was preselected for MCGC firms where I submitted the letter and am having less success for EIW where a letter was also submitted. So I don't think that's the issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:40 pm

Wondering if it has to do with geography. Almost all the MCGC firms that accepted me were NYC/DC based (I live in DC). A lot of the EIW firms are Midwest/other geographical regions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:41 pm

Why do people think they're having less success than at the fairs? Aren't less than a third of the firm selections out? Patience, friends, patience

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why do people think they're having less success than at the fairs? Aren't less than a third of the firm selections out? Patience, friends, patience

19/38 actually. Full list below.

Armstrong Teasdale
Baker Hostetler
Cadwalader
Fennemore Craig
Foley
Gilmore & Bell
Hunton
Husch Blackwell
Latham
Lathrop & Gage
Locke Lord
Monsanto
Polsinelli
Shook
Simpson Thacher Bartlett
Stinson Leonard Street
Thompson Coburn
Thompson Hine
Vinson & Elkins

Edit: Technically there are 39 on campus interviews, but I'm not counting arch city defenders because obviously.

Return to “Legal Employment”