Weil, Latham, Paul Weiss Corporate vs Texas V50

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Weil, Latham, Paul Weiss Corporate vs Texas V50

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:43 pm

Assuming I want to do corporate work (M&A/Capital Markets), and I'm seriously disinterested in the energy industry and accordingly V&E/Baker Botts/Latham Houston's exit opportunities, would Weil, Latham, or Paul Weiss in NY be significantly better options?

These are the three firms I list because it's conceivable that I will have offers from them, whereas it's much harder to say for the other V10 (please don't fight me on this and just take it as a given due to my particularly unusual circumstances).

Would your answer change if end goal may be GC of F500 company? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Weil, Latham, Paul Weiss Corporate vs Texas V50

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:47 pm

Weil is an asshole nightmare factory that churns through associates, and NY is its black heart.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Weil, Latham, Paul Weiss Corporate vs Texas V50

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Weil is an asshole nightmare factory that churns through associates, and NY is its black heart.


Are you speaking from experience or....?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Weil, Latham, Paul Weiss Corporate vs Texas V50

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:03 pm

Do you want to be in NY or TX?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Weil, Latham, Paul Weiss Corporate vs Texas V50

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you want to be in NY or TX?


I honestly don't care. I'm from Texas and have family there, but I would be completely fine being in NY as well. I'm not really concerned with COL/QOL differences at the beginning of my career - I really am just asking based on the difference in career opportunities if I start at any one of these NY firms vs one of the Texas ones.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Weil, Latham, Paul Weiss Corporate vs Texas V50

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you want to be in NY or TX?


I honestly don't care. I'm from Texas and have family there, but I would be completely fine being in NY as well. I'm not really concerned with COL/QOL differences at the beginning of my career - I really am just asking based on the difference in career opportunities if I start at any one of these NY firms vs one of the Texas ones.


PW is amazing for lit, but I think PW/V&E Houston/Latham Houston are comparable for corporate. Weil NY and Latham NY are probably a cut above the rest for non-energy corp work, so if you aren't interested in energy-related career opportunities and don't care about COL/QOL differences, then those are good options.

The NY firms also likely give you greater geographical flexibility.

Finally, if you don't want energy work, then why not shoot for Dallas?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Weil, Latham, Paul Weiss Corporate vs Texas V50

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you want to be in NY or TX?


I honestly don't care. I'm from Texas and have family there, but I would be completely fine being in NY as well. I'm not really concerned with COL/QOL differences at the beginning of my career - I really am just asking based on the difference in career opportunities if I start at any one of these NY firms vs one of the Texas ones.


PW is amazing for lit, but I think PW/V&E Houston/Latham Houston are comparable for corporate. Weil NY and Latham NY are probably a cut above the rest for non-energy corp work, so if you aren't interested in energy-related career opportunities and don't care about COL/QOL differences, then those are good options.

The NY firms also likely give you greater geographical flexibility.

Finally, if you don't want energy work, then why not shoot for Dallas?


Because it's Dallas. Thanks for your thoughts though - I have also heard similar things about PW, but I would think their corporate practice is still much more diversified than V&E/Latham Houston, and probably carries more weight nationally, right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Weil, Latham, Paul Weiss Corporate vs Texas V50

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you want to be in NY or TX?


I honestly don't care. I'm from Texas and have family there, but I would be completely fine being in NY as well. I'm not really concerned with COL/QOL differences at the beginning of my career - I really am just asking based on the difference in career opportunities if I start at any one of these NY firms vs one of the Texas ones.


PW is amazing for lit, but I think PW/V&E Houston/Latham Houston are comparable for corporate. Weil NY and Latham NY are probably a cut above the rest for non-energy corp work, so if you aren't interested in energy-related career opportunities and don't care about COL/QOL differences, then those are good options.

The NY firms also likely give you greater geographical flexibility.

Finally, if you don't want energy work, then why not shoot for Dallas?


Because it's Dallas. Thanks for your thoughts though - I have also heard similar things about PW, but I would think their corporate practice is still much more diversified than V&E/Latham Houston, and probably carries more weight nationally, right?


I'm sure PW is more diversified than V&E/Latham Houston since the latter two are so focused on energy, but I'm not sure about more weight nationally. I don't think PW necessarily has a stronger national reputation than Latham.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.