Firm reception propriety Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm reception propriety

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:49 am

So I need some advice. I am going to a firm reception on Monday and I want to take copies of my resume with me to hand to the attorneys and recruiters. I'm all in with this firm and I really want to just walk around and stuff my resume into people's hands. However, I also dont want to be presumptuous and annoying to the other students there. How should I go about this?

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Re: Firm reception propriety

Post by PB&J.D. » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I need some advice. I am going to a firm reception on Monday and I want to take copies of my resume with me to hand to the attorneys and recruiters. I'm all in with this firm and I really want to just walk around and stuff my resume into people's hands. However, I also dont want to be presumptuous and annoying to the other students there. How should I go about this?
Don't. Get biz cards & schmooze.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 am

Got it. Thanks!

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 am

Don't do this. Just work your GPA into conversation naturally. When someone asks you what neighborhood you live in just say: "I live 3.92 miles away from this office. Speaking of 3.92, that's my GPA."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:58 am

Cookie jar, I'm not that smooth! But point taken. How do I communicate that I'm all in with the firm then?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:03 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I need some advice. I am going to a firm reception on Monday and I want to take copies of my resume with me to hand to the attorneys and recruiters. I'm all in with this firm and I really want to just walk around and stuff my resume into people's hands. However, I also dont want to be presumptuous and annoying to the other students there. How should I go about this?
Don't. Get biz cards & schmooze.
Just to make crystal clear, s/he means take business cards from attorneys, not get your own and hand them out.
If you have a conversation with somebody and hit it off, send a follow up email thanking them. If you really hit it off, see if they'll grab coffee so you can chat more about X, Y, or Z.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:34 pm

I suspect OP is trolling, but just in case some poor soul thinks she's not, I'll respond.

It would be very awkward to hand your resume or your business card to attorneys at a firm reception. You can take their business cards, but that is the only exchange of paper that should be going on.

And you most certainly should NOT work your GPA into the conversation.

Just relax and talk to the attorneys as fellow human beings. Don't try so hard. Ask some questions about the firm, but don't be the weird kid who is asking so many questions that it seems like she's interviewing the attorneys. Those people are really annoying.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:41 pm

In case not troll-

Don't go all in on one firm, play the field. OCI is a numbers game.

And don't trust any of your own instincts about anything, sounds like they are likely wrong and untrustworthy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”