Hiding the ball?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hiding the ball?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 am

Hey all, SA here,

I'm currently working at a regional biglaw firm, and I'm really enjoying it...a lot. But are they just showing me what I want to see?

My hours are incredible. I'm working 8-9 hour days, and im getting lots of assignments, but im getting em all done in time

Everyone there is SUPER nice. like insanely nice, but to everyone, not just like a whole "be nice to the summers so they think this isnt a shitty place to work"

EVERYONE leaves early. Like we're talking 6pm. 7pm hardly anyone is left

And ive spoken with first years and theyve all said that working there as an associate is practically the same thing.

Am I falling into a trap? or have I hit the lottery? (pay is slightly below market, but nothing to cry home about)

Any advice? Similar experiences?
Thanks!

blackcup

Re: Hiding the ball?

Postby blackcup » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:48 am

I don't think you are necessarily falling into a trap, but just keep in mind that there are lots of things you don't see.

Many firms have no face time requirement. That means even if people are taking off at 6pm, they are likely logging back on from home and putting in a few hours. They might also be getting into work early, as well. You also don't know about what their weekends are like.

Also, I don't think many people are outwardly mean to people in a workplace.

Or, you could've hit the lottery! Just wanted to inform you of the possibilities.
Last edited by blackcup on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

FluffMonster

Postby FluffMonster » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:48 am

Idk. Is your firm's billable requirement <1700?

If not, then take everything you see, hear, or smell during your SA with a grain of salt.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:31 am

My SA was like that, but I sure as shit am not showing up this fall thinking it's going to be all bubblegum and butterflies

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:07 pm

You will work from home outside the hours of 9-6 as an associate, sometimes on short notice. Also your assignments will be far less interesting (or, best case, you'll keep doing interesting work but there will be a lot of tedious stuff mixed in that you don't have to deal with now). But I assume you knew all that.

NorCalLaw

Postby NorCalLaw » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:17 pm

What is your group's/office's practice area(s)? In areas like litigation, the workload can be very feast or famine. Even in other practices, the amount of work available/required can fluctuate massively. It sounds like you have a good situation, but don't rely on your hours remaining so steady/reasonable.

Also, what are the billable hour requirements for associates?

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Do you have after-hours access to the office? If so, "forget" your jacket at the office one day and then come in to get it on a Saturday "because you're going to a wedding." See how many people are there.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:13 am

Like others have said, there's likely a lot you aren't seeing. But if you like the people, that's probably the most important thing. Don't overthink it.

LA Spring

Postby LA Spring » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:04 am

Now that I am on the other side, yes, we are told to be nice to the summers. No freaking them out (you’re leaving at 6 and expect to be offered??). Very little of what we assign is immediately time sensitive so that they can leave at 5. Is being an SA the real deal — a little, but overall, not so much. Mainly it’s to see if they are a good fit and if they can write, comprehend, etc. And yes there are summers that are more universally liked than others — sometimes it’s their work and sometimes it’s about personality.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:15 pm

FluffMonster wrote:Idk. Is your firm's billable requirement <1700?

If not, then take everything you see, hear, or smell during your SA with a grain of salt.

This. Also +1000 to SAs getting better work than jr associates.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Talk to the young associates in the firm. Without knowing the firm or the practice area, it is difficult to comment.

I can think of at least two specialty areas where this could be an accurate portrayal of firm life.

In which city are you working ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Don't want to out myself, because I'm LOVING the place I'm at, but:

Staying until 6 is later than most associates, and almost all partners, and almost all the summers leave around then.

Billable requirement at ~1800, bonus at ~1950

Edit: talked with most of the associates, said associate life is essentially the same thing, but again hard to tell if they're put up to say that.

Saturday idea is a good one though, I think I'll try that. Thanks!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:05 pm

If 1800 is the requirement, then you know the associates are bullshitting you and firing up dat VPN when they get home if they're leaving any time before 7.

Return to “Legal Employment”