Whats the end game for Biglaw lawyers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JohannDeMann

Re: Whats the end game for Biglaw lawyers?

Postby JohannDeMann » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:47 am

I graduated from an undergrad business school program and all of my close friends are in business. I only talk about shit on this forum I know about.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:53 am

Desert Fox wrote:
gk101 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:When I worked in supply chain we were a cost center just like accounting or legal.

Johann you sound like your firm just doesn't do sophisticated work.

sophisticated work at junior level is mostly a flame

It seems like in litigation, the more sophisticated the work is the less sophisticated the work juniors get, at least in traditional biglaw.

My friend at quasi midlaw / shitlaw/ semi presitgiousoso ID mill does entire cases where she is making all teh calls.

V5 bros spend 2 years reviewing docs and writing issue memos.

lol if you think that's what she's doing

DELG

Postby DELG » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:56 am

Desert Fox wrote:in litigation, the more sophisticated the work is the less sophisticated the work juniors get

Yup.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:08 am

JohannDeMann wrote:I graduated from an undergrad business school program and all of my close friends are in business. I only talk about shit on this forum I know about.

So you are qualified to talk about business because you studied it in school and know people that work in it, but people who study law in school and know people who work in it aren't qualified to talk about law? lol seriously man, come on, you're just too much.

ETA: Just to be clear i'm not saying 3L wisdom = junior associate wisdom, I'm saying all of these comparisons to alternative jobs by K-JD junior associates are as ignorant as anything a 0L would say about biglaw.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:00 pm

DELG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:in litigation, the more sophisticated the work is the less sophisticated the work juniors get

Yup.

Every kind of litigation requires lots of disposable minions.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:39 pm

Cobretti wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:I graduated from an undergrad business school program and all of my close friends are in business. I only talk about shit on this forum I know about.

So you are qualified to talk about business because you studied it in school and know people that work in it, but people who study law in school and know people who work in it aren't qualified to talk about law? lol seriously man, come on, you're just too much.

ETA: Just to be clear i'm not saying 3L wisdom = junior associate wisdom, I'm saying all of these comparisons to alternative jobs by K-JD junior associates are as ignorant as anything a 0L would say about biglaw.

I don't take issue with your experience level. I take issue with you being wrong so then I clarify that you don't know what you are talking about so people understand that.

The facts are that lawyers are the unhappiest profession. Business professions are usually in the top 10 of happiness. With a not so small sample size, I can say that 80%+ of my friends in biglaw hate their jobs. ANd 80%+ of my business friends say you know I don't love it and it's still work but I don't mind waking up and going to work. None of them are actively looking for ways out of their field. So my experiences seem to closely line up with the facts and surveys while yours are just the opposite.

And I have never said every job out there is great. Being an accountant would suck. But yes, most job surveys rate associate attorney as the worst job (and my friends experience in biglaw reflects this, and the lawyers on this board) so its not far from the truth of the grass is always greener when you are in the shittiest profession.

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:54 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

I don't take issue with your experience level. I take issue with you being wrong so then I clarify that you don't know what you are talking about so people understand that.

The facts are that lawyers are the unhappiest profession. Business professions are usually in the top 10 of happiness. With a not so small sample size, I can say that 80%+ of my friends in biglaw hate their jobs. ANd 80%+ of my business friends say you know I don't love it and it's still work but I don't mind waking up and going to work. None of them are actively looking for ways out of their field. So my experiences seem to closely line up with the facts and surveys while yours are just the opposite.

And I have never said every job out there is great. Being an accountant would suck. But yes, most job surveys rate associate attorney as the worst job (and my friends experience in biglaw reflects this, and the lawyers on this board) so its not far from the truth of the grass is always greener when you are in the shittiest profession.

they don't have anywhere else to go. biz doesn't require any credentials so what would they exit to...more biz?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:30 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
DELG wrote:

Yup.

Every kind of litigation requires lots of disposable minions.

I'm not even sure if this is really the case, or if partners have effectively scammed their clients into believing this is the case (for 95%+ of lit).

rouser

Postby rouser » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Whats the end game for Biglaw lawyers?

cocaine/divorce and if you make it far, you get to do embezzlement/insider trading!

Return to “Legal Employment”