Mass mailing, gpa in subject line/body of email? And regular mail vs. email?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass mailing, gpa in subject line/body of email? And regular mail vs. email?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi all, I saw this in another thread with little input. What are peoples thoughts on putting your gpa out there on the body of your mass mail emails?

I have roughly a 3.7 and was wondering how I tell employers that.

Also what are peoples thoughts about writing letters and sending them rather than emailing?

Traynor Brah

Re: Mass mailing, gpa in subject line/body of email? And regular mail vs. email?

Postby Traynor Brah » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:25 pm

putting your gpa in the subject line of your application email is one of the tackiest thing I've ever heard

but to answer your question, it should only be in your resume. It's the first thing they are going to look for; repeating it needlessly in your cover letter isn't going to add anything.

Danger Zone

Re: Mass mailing, gpa in subject line/body of email? And regular mail vs. email?

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:27 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:putting your gpa in the subject line of your application email is one of the tackiest thing I've ever heard

Yep

And always email firms, this is the 21st century

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:29 pm

OP here, I thought the same but it was recommended in the Massmailing thread so I was wondering what were other opinions. I figure recruiters are going to get at least a 1,000 of these emails so how do they trawl through them all?

And sending letters I thought could be useful in the sense they will actually be read. When someone gets a letter in the mail, they open it and read it rather than someone getting an email and disregarding.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And sending letters I thought could be useful in the sense they will actually be read. When someone gets a letter in the mail, they open it and read it rather than someone getting an email and disregarding.

i think it's the opposite. If I get a letter i have to open it. fuck that. I'm much more inclined to take a glance at something if it's in an email.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:38 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And sending letters I thought could be useful in the sense they will actually be read. When someone gets a letter in the mail, they open it and read it rather than someone getting an email and disregarding.

i think it's the opposite. If I get a letter i have to open it. fuck that. I'm much more inclined to take a glance at something if it's in an email.

Agreed.

OP: Don't put GPA in subject line. But feel free to highlight GPA (and any other positive attributes) in the first paragraph of your email.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, I thought the same but it was recommended in the Massmailing thread so I was wondering what were other opinions. I figure recruiters are going to get at least a 1,000 of these emails so how do they trawl through them all?

And sending letters I thought could be useful in the sense they will actually be read. When someone gets a letter in the mail, they open it and read it rather than someone getting an email and disregarding.

I would suggest that you do not email the recruiters. This was my hierarchy for emailing:

1) Undergrad alum
2) Member of my law school's Law Review alum
3) Law school alum
4) Head of the group I was targeting
5) Managing partner
6) Recruiter

The closer the tie the more inclined they are to help. Often, a person from 1-3 would send an encouraging response and CC the appropriate person (this is better than radio silence that usually comes).

I got my gig through mass mail.

Also GPA only in resume dude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:43 pm

Devlin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here, I thought the same but it was recommended in the Massmailing thread so I was wondering what were other opinions. I figure recruiters are going to get at least a 1,000 of these emails so how do they trawl through them all?

I would suggest that you do not email the recruiters. This was my hierarchy for emailing:

1) Undergrad alum
3) Law school alum
5) Managing partner
6) Recruiter

OP Here

1. Did you go to a prestigious undergrad?

2. This was probably one of the top three most helpful posts I've gotten on this site. (way ahead of retaking posts)

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Devlin wrote:

1) Undergrad alum
3) Law school alum
5) Managing partner
6) Recruiter

The closer the tie the more inclined they are to help. Often, a person from 1-3 would send an encouraging response and CC the appropriate person (this is better than radio silence that usually comes).

Yeah this is an intriguing idea. Wasn't it a tad weird to email rando associates an application though?

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:59 pm

Devlin wrote:

1) Undergrad alum
3) Law school alum
5) Managing partner
6) Recruiter

Is there a cosign on this? Haven't seen this advice dispensed yet.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:01 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:Yeah this is an intriguing idea. Wasn't it a tad weird to email rando associates an application though?

I agree that it's a tad weird, but what is the downside? I've had applicants cold email me before based on my undergrad and law school. I just forwarded their apps to recruiting. In other words, they ended up no worse off than had they just emailed recruiting directly.

And if you find an alumnus who wants to go out of his or her way to help--and I'm sure that happens sometimes--you're better off. Seems like all upside to me. But I've never dwelled on the wisdom of this strategy before, so maybe there are problems I'm not thinking of.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:11 pm

I had more success mass mailing than anyone I've ever heard of on this site and I just did the normal stuff (email recruiting person, nothing goofy in the subject line, etc.)

Small sample size obviously

Also why is this its own thread?

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:14 pm

You all are really signing on to GPA only in the resume? Would not recommend.

inchipwetrust

Postby inchipwetrust » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:14 pm

whats the consensus on sending a letter to firms in your top choice market that are coming to OCI telling them you're really interested in the firm/want to interview with them etc.? Also, I haven't included my gpa in my cover letter, should I?

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Devlin wrote:

1) Undergrad alum
3) Law school alum
5) Managing partner
6) Recruiter

OP Here

1. Did you go to a prestigious undergrad?

2. This was probably one of the top three most helpful posts I've gotten on this site. (way ahead of retaking posts)

Fuck no. I want to a large state school. Analysis still applies. People generally love the alma mater.

Also, I should have said this applies to partners. I never emailed an associate. I don't think it would hurt but I think between, for instance, an UG associate and a LS Partner, I would rather just email the LS partner because she can actually make shit happen.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:56 pm

MCFC wrote:You all are really signing on to GPA only in the resume? Would not recommend.

Not signing on. If it's a good GPA, it's fine to highlight it outside of resume (e.g., in a cover letter or email). But putting it in the subject line would look tacky/unprofessional.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:58 pm

rpupkin wrote:
MCFC wrote:You all are really signing on to GPA only in the resume? Would not recommend.

Not signing on. If it's a good GPA, it's fine to highlight it outside of resume (e.g., in a cover letter or email). But putting it in the subject line would look tacky/unprofessional.

No dude they can read the resume. It will be one of the first things they look at anyway.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:08 pm

I agree. If they have any interest in you they will look at the resume and see your good GPA. Hell, even if they don't have an interest they will still glance at it because people are nosy. Your GPA may catch an eye then.

Just make sure your GPA and class rank is the first thing on your resume (after name and headings of course).

It will be seen. Including it in the body of the email seems both desperate (which you already look since your are mass mailing) and pompous. If they were not going to bother opening your attachments you were doomed from the start - including your GPA in email probably wont change that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Does the desperate quotient change if I massmail like now?

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:29 pm

Mass mailing is desperate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:30 pm

I probably would not put it in the email. Then again, I go to a t14 school that doesn't allow us to put our gpa EVEN ON the resume.

Also, are you mass mailing already? I thought TCR was to send out emails in early July?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:32 pm

OP here, thinking about mass-mailing now.

I have the letter draft and don't have to wait for LR so can't really see why not. Worst case when I follow up in like early August, they see the application again.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:33 pm

rpupkin wrote:

I absolutely agree about the subject line. I think it's risky to assume they'll be willing to open a separate document though. Also
Traynor Brah wrote:Mass mailing is desperate?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I probably would not put it in the email. Then again, I go to a t14 school that doesn't allow us to put our gpa EVEN ON the resume.

You can just say Penn

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:41 pm

CCN actually.

Return to “Legal Employment”