2015 University of Virginia OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which market(s) are you bidding?

DC
30%
NY
20%
SF/LA/Other West
12%
ATL
2%
TX
8%
CHI/Other Midwest
2%
BOS/Other Northeast
5%
Other South
5%
Other Mid Atlantic
6%
Anywhere that will take me bro
10%

Total votes: 84

swampman

Re: 2015 University of Virginia OGI Thread

Postby swampman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:44 pm

whats an updog wrote:My writing sample from my summer job probably won't be ready until after the initial submission of bids. Should I put something in there (I guess my 1L brief) and just update it later?

I think I saw in last year's OGI thread that most firms won't print the writing sample until the callback phase, so that should be fine. Might want to double-check that with career services though, unless someone here can confirm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:27 pm

More of a general question, but this is as good a place as any. If through networking, a firm who will be at OGI asks you to come in during the summer and do "a round of interviews" before OGI to save them the cost of a plane ticket, does that basically mean that you've jumped straight to a "callback"? So after the interview they will offer/ding?

Also, at this sort of thing how many interviews does a firm usually put you through in the same day?

cfr1225

Postby cfr1225 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:More of a general question, but this is as good a place as any. If through networking, a firm who will be at OGI asks you to come in during the summer and do "a round of interviews" before OGI to save them the cost of a plane ticket, does that basically mean that you've jumped straight to a "callback"? So after the interview they will offer/ding?

Also, at this sort of thing how many interviews does a firm usually put you through in the same day?

1. Generally, yes, at least in my experience. (Maybe some firms are weird? That should shock literally no one.)

2. My callbacks were all four or five slots. Sometimes one of the slots is lunch or coffee. Some slots have more than one attorney, or sometimes one of the slots is with someone from recruiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Heard through the grapevine that VLR has started calling people. I don't know exactly when they started or if they're done.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:33 pm

Anyone know what the deal with Davis Polk DC is? Looks like they don't traditionally take SAs in the DC office and this is the first year they've interviewed separately for it. Is the interview for a split DC/NY summer? Any idea what the class size is?

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Heard through the grapevine that VLR has started calling people. I don't know exactly when they started or if they're done.

Looking at the thread from last year it seems mostly like if you don't get a call today, you're not getting one. I don't know anything outside of that though (and am still waiting patiently for my write-on call which I assume I nailed).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:26 am

Anyone know when to expect write-on calls? I assume that happens days, if not weeks, after grade-on calls. But then again I also assumed two of my tires wouldn't blow out shortly before midnight on a narrow and windy road in the boonies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:58 am

Write-on and grade-on calls happen at the same time

swampman

Postby swampman » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Write-on and grade-on calls happen at the same time

That can't be right. I haven't got a call yet, and I'm a very good writer. You don't understand. Like, very good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:29 pm

How do grade-ons get non-editorial board positions on LR (e.g. executive editors, articles editors), is there like an audition/tryout or somesuch in August? Also, how much additional work do these positions require/do we want one of them?

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:08 am

swampman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Write-on and grade-on calls happen at the same time

That can't be right. I haven't got a call yet, and I'm a very good writer. You don't understand. Like, very good.

Confirmed, can't be right - haven't got my call yet and I incorporated puns into my writing section.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:42 pm

Anyone know what the deal with the multiple Boies entries is? There's "Boies Schiller & Flexner - Litigation Practice (New York, NY)" and "Boies Schiller & Flexner (New York, NY)", and each one uses a bid. Isn't Boies all litigation anyways?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:33 pm

McGruff wrote:Isn't Boies all litigation anyways?

Nope.

cornerstone

Postby cornerstone » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Nope.

Solid use of anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:13 pm

cornerstone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nope.

Solid use of anon.

Having inside info on Boies would out me.

cornerstone

Postby cornerstone » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cornerstone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nope.

Solid use of anon.

http://www.bsfllp.com/practices/050
Look bro I've got super secret inside info too!

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:44 pm

cornerstone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
cornerstone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nope.

Solid use of anon.

I was under the impression that firm pages were unreliable for learning what the firm actually does, it's more like what they're willing to do if you've got the money (but not necessarily something they do on a regular basis). Chambers also ranks Boies in Antitrust, which is probably not a form of litigation (I have no idea what antitrust is) so that seems to indicate they're not all lit. But either way, I take it that no one has any idea why Boies has multiple OGI entries?

rhododactylos

Postby rhododactylos » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
cornerstone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nope.

Solid use of anon.

Danger, Boies' covert antitrust operations have been compromised!

But in all seriousness I think this is just something a few firms choose to do. MoFo DC has separate bids for Corporate and non-Corporate for example.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:24 am

McGruff wrote:
cornerstone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
cornerstone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nope.

Solid use of anon.

I was under the impression that firm pages were unreliable for learning what the firm actually does, it's more like what they're willing to do if you've got the money (but not necessarily something they do on a regular basis). Chambers also ranks Boies in Antitrust, which is probably not a form of litigation (I have no idea what antitrust is) so that seems to indicate they're not all lit. But either way, I take it that no one has any idea why Boies has multiple OGI entries?

How do you not have any idea what antitrust is?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:25 pm

For better or worse, I accepted a position as a Dillard. Wondering, resume-wise, if "Dillard Fellow, Legal Research and Writing Teaching Assistant" is appropriate for a bullet point.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:52 pm

Fiddle a bit with the language, but absolutely put it on there, especially if you're interested in lit. Any strong writer signals + willing to interact with people can't hurt.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:43 pm

First Offense wrote:How do you not have any idea what antitrust is?

I mean, I know (vaguely) what the word means, I just don't have any idea what lawyers in an "antitrust group" do, so I don't know whether it's litigation or not. Isn't Twombly about anti-trust stuff? Isn't it litigation? I'm sure the answer is "ya but antitrust practice means regulatory" but I'm not really sure what that means either since regulation and litigation intersect too. basically idklol

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:48 pm

McGruff wrote:

I mean, I know (vaguely) what the word means, I just don't have any idea what lawyers in an "antitrust group" do, so I don't know whether it's litigation or not. Isn't Twombly about anti-trust stuff? Isn't it litigation? I'm sure the answer is "ya but antitrust practice means regulatory" but I'm not really sure what that means either since regulation and litigation intersect too. basically idklol

When Microsoft gets sued, it's for antitrust violations. There's regulatory in there too, but generally it's litigation.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:For better or worse, I accepted a position as a Dillard. Wondering, resume-wise, if "Dillard Fellow, Legal Research and Writing Teaching Assistant" is appropriate for a bullet point.
First, "Teaching Fellow" sounds better than "Teaching Assistant"; you're a graduate student, not some undergraduate helper! Also, I was a Dillard and just put "Dillard Fellow"--nice segue for them to ask me what it was. Lastly, you should put it if you're a Dillard even if you're going corporate. I was targeting corporate only for almost every interview (save one or two), and they still liked that I was a Dillard.

All that being said, you will have done zero Dillard work by OGI (so not TOO much to talk about, but spice it up) and likely minimal Dillard work by your first callbacks (if you have a lot of callbacks, be prepared to do Dillard work while you travel...)

swampman

Postby swampman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:53 am

First Offense wrote:
McGruff wrote:

When Microsoft gets sued, it's for antitrust violations. There's regulatory in there too, but generally it's litigation.

Heads up though, a lot of firms do MUCH more M&A antitrust counseling than antitrust litigation, so don't assume antitrust=lit.

Return to “Legal Employment”