Latham Century City

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
OutoftheWoods

Latham Century City

Postby OutoftheWoods » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:47 am

Anyone connected with Latham know what are the plans for the future of the new Century City office that opened up? Not sure whether to bid on that office in addition to the LA one at OCI. It looks like it is currently just entertainment transactions, with one entertainment litigation rainmaker partner (and one random tax attorney). Is there going to be an expansion of the litigation practice or is it just entertainment/corporate work?

I ask bc I'm interested in litigation, and I def do not want to waste a bid if the CC office is looking to build up its transactional practice. At the same time, since the office is new, I figure hiring may be easier than LA since they're looking to grow fast.

cookiejar1

Re: Latham Century City

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:28 am

Is Latham CC the OMM office that Latham just swooped? Just bid Latham LA, their class size will be infinitely larger not to mention they'll actually be looking for some litigation summers at least. I have a feeling that this new Latham CC office might be pretty competitive - there's likely not going to be a ton of spots open to summers and who targeting LA doesn't want to do transactional entertainment law? But this is a bit speculative.

Uf your numbers are in Latham LA's range just go the traditional route and don't look back. Overthinking this might hurt you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:18 am

Latham CC is entirely what Latham took from OMM. My guess is that they'll build up this practice more at first - steady, sustained growth. Just added yet another OMM partner to the fold.

If you want west coast Lit at Latham, SF is where you want to be - that's pretty much what they do. You can get both at LA in general I think though I know less about this office than the other main offices.

OutoftheWoods

Postby OutoftheWoods » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:42 am

Right I saw Latham sf is great too, but i figured it would look bad if i bid on both (i have no ties to sf, so I def wouldn't bid just that, while i have ties to LA). Should I just pick one? (there is so much conflicting advice here abut bidding two separate offices of the same firm).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:59 am

Double post, oops.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:59 am

OutoftheWoods wrote:Right I saw Latham sf is great too, but i figured it would look bad if i bid on both (i have no ties to sf, so I def wouldn't bid just that, while i have ties to LA). Should I just pick one? (there is so much conflicting advice here abut bidding two separate offices of the same firm).

I would not bid Latham CC unless you want to practice transactional entertainment law (especially film finance and other large transactions). The office has only one litigation partner who is a full-time resident at the office, whom Latham just picked up from OMM. Maybe, next year or the year after, the lit practice will have grown enough to justify a bid, but not this year. Better to just bid the downtown office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:03 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:Right I saw Latham sf is great too, but i figured it would look bad if i bid on both (i have no ties to sf, so I def wouldn't bid just that, while i have ties to LA). Should I just pick one? (there is so much conflicting advice here abut bidding two separate offices of the same firm).

I did both. I bid Latham SV during the Bay Area Diversity Fair, interviewed with them there, and didn't get a call back. Then did Latham LA at my own school's OCI and received an offer there. Didn't mention that I previously interviewed with SV.

If I were you and if I already had the credentials for Latham LA then I'd just stick with that. Latham LA is a powerhouse in southern California, they interview a ton of people, and they throw out a ton of offers. It's just the most sure fire way if you know you already have a shot and don't have ties to SF.

Return to “Legal Employment”