What about being a lawyer is there to look forward to?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Danger Zone

Re: What about being a lawyer is there to look forward to?

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:26 am

I only know its rep in Philly and yes, it's probably the worst in the city

BiglawAssociate

Postby BiglawAssociate » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:50 pm

Leaving the law to do something much awesomer and comparing with your old life and thinking "HOLY SHIT MY NEW LIFE IS AMAZING"

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:05 pm

Would you change your username?

Magic Hat

Postby Magic Hat » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:03 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:
minnbills wrote:Your practice sounds awesome, Magic.

Ya exactly. You even admit still liking it. It's weird you're taking this position that being a lawyer is a bad career.

Thank you, my practice and job is awesome.

Even though I like it the practice of law is stressful as hell and takes a toll on your physical and mental health. I am 28 years old and going gray. That is not normal (for those claiming it is a genetic anomaly, no male on either side of my family has gone gray before 45).

I pulled three all nighters in the past week getting shit done for my own clients, which may be the cause of my current cynicism.

People think you have it made when you get your own clients but they don't realize you are just trading one set of problems for another.

That being said when I occasionally bail out of the office early for a round of golf with a "potential client" nobody says shit, particularly in those months where I've had 30k+ in bills get paid.

I enjoy what I do but I will advise my children to avoid this path unless they are truly passionate about the law. If you don't love this then it is a miserable way to spend your life.

Return to “Legal Employment”